LED bulb replacement for 2014 Leaf SL ??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLeafEV

I've visited all (I think) of the LED headlight / fog light threads here and I'd like to bump the discussion a bit and inquire about my specific scenario:

New owner of a 2014 (brand new, first titled owner!) as of May 7, 2015:

2014 Nissan Leaf SL w/Premium Pkg in Gun Metallic

Headlights are already LED, so my question is...

Converting fog lights to LED:
Is this accomplished by simply changing a bulb (they are factory halogen, correct?)? The previous comments were about some BMW fogs, but I'm not sure if that was for a Leaf with EXISTING fog lights or one without.

TIA.

Also, if I move to Canada, what are the complications of using the fog lights as DRLs (mandatory there)? I stopped at Wilson Nissan in Bellingham, WA yesterday and the tech told me: "The U.S. Leaf is missing a wiring harness that is found on the Canadian models for DRLs. Canadian Leaf people are getting around this by going to Canadian Tire and getting a kit to convert the fog lights to DRLs." Any thoughts/experience with this?

I was looking at this recently... as I recall (can't find the post now), the lower draw of LED bulbs in some cases triggers a code on the CAN bus, so a resistor needs to be added to draw more current (thus negating some of the benefits of going LED).

Back