New 2013 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugenbd

Hi
Long time reader. Just bought my new Leaf.

Found a leaf that was sitting on the lot for a while in St. Louis.

New 2013 SL, $17k. Starting mileage of 408.

Couldn't pass the deal up. $9,500 after Fed rebate for an originally priced $36k car with the factory 3 year warranty.

I have installed a Bluetooth ODBII adapter, and bought Leaf Spy Pro. The battery is a little worse than I would have thought. 91% with 257 GIDs. Is there any way to restore the GIDs? i.e. running to near empty then charging to 100%? I am not overly concerned as we are able to drive it at around 4.3 mile per kwh and my commute will be 52 miles round trip. I have a volt I can use in the winter if it's not able to make it. Plus Cincinnati just opened about 5 combo DC quick chargers.

One last question. What battery warranty comes with the 2013's? Would it be part of the class action settlement? or is there a different warranty?

Thanks
Dave
Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati)

Look at your owner manual for warranty information. I think 2013 is when Nissan started offering the capacity warranty that is similar to the original proposed class action settlement for the 2011 and 2012 Leafs. There is a good chance that daily use including some deep discharge and full charge cycles will restore some capacity and help the battery management system learn the characteristics of your battery.

Enjoy your new car. You should be able to make your 52-mile commute even with significant battery capacity loss in the future. My commute is also 52 miles roundtrip and I was able to make it using A/C in my 2011 with 8 capacity bars (4 lost) before Nissan replaced the battery.

Gerry

$9.5k Net? Wow, nice! Way to go.

It's never been owned, so it's not a part of the class action. Whatever warranty it has will not be affected by that.

With more QCs being installed, you should be good for a while.

Congratulations.

GerryAZ said:
Look at your owner manual for warranty information. I think 2013 is when Nissan started offering the capacity warranty that is similar to the original proposed class action settlement for the 2011 and 2012 Leafs. There is a good chance that daily use including some deep discharge and full charge cycles will restore some capacity and help the battery management system learn the characteristics of your battery.

Enjoy your new car. You should be able to make your 52-mile commute even with significant battery capacity loss in the future. My commute is also 52 miles roundtrip and I was able to make it using A/C in my 2011 with 8 capacity bars (4 lost) before Nissan replaced the battery.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry
That was my thoughts also. Having the Volt, and able to get 40+ miles out of it routinely lead me to believe I would be good with the Leaf. Considering I only get 10Kwh with it, and should get more than double with the Leaf. I will see how my commute does tomorrow.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

It's never been owned, so it's not a part of the class action. Whatever warranty it has will not be affected by that.

Congratulations.

Yup, $9.5k after I get the rebate. Well, I still have to pay my State Sales Tax. Which is about $1k so more like $10.5 net. I tried to convince a friend in Colorado to buy it. He didn't have any interest till after I put money down on this one. In Colo. it would have been closer to a $4500 car. ($17k-$7500 - $5k state)

I figured the QC's being installed in Cincinnati were nice to have as reassurance if for some reason my commute became to long or I couldn't live without heat in the winter.

epic said:
wonder why it never sold?Does dealer sell other leafs?

They did not have any others on the lot. The sales person said it had been about a year and half since they sold one.

My guess is that they didn't advertise it very well and didn't really want to sell Leafs.

hugenbd said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Congratulations.

Yup, $9.5k after I get the rebate. Well, I still have to pay my State Sales Tax. Which is about $1k so more like $10.5 net. I tried to convince a friend in Colorado to buy it. He didn't have any interest till after I put money down on this one. In Colo. it would have been closer to a $4500 car. ($17k-$7500 - $5k state)

I figured the QC's being installed in Cincinnati were nice to have as reassurance if for some reason my commute became to long or I couldn't live without heat in the winter.

Well, the tax credit depends on how much tax you pay each year for the fed part. I looked at my taxes and found that I would probably only be able to get about $2,200 back since I had plenty of deductions already. Look at your previous tax filings to see if you ended up paying over 7,500 to make sure you get the full benefit. If not, talk to a tax expert now so they can help you do somethings like, change your 401K from traditional to a roth so you up your taxes thus getting the most benefit of them.

good luck, you got a great deal (I think). I guess the battery loss is due to it sitting there with a full battery for long periods of time.

hugenbd said:
My guess is that they didn't advertise it very well and didn't really want to sell Leafs.
It seems that way with most Nissan dealers in this area too. It all seems to come down to one sales guy that takes up the challenge to push Leafs out the door. I don't think they make much money on them and service depts don't either. that is why they are clueless with Leafs.

DuncanCunningham said:
hugenbd said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Congratulations.

Well, the tax credit depends on how much tax you pay each year for the fed part. I looked at my taxes and found that I would probably only be able to get about $2,200 back since I had plenty of deductions already. Look at your previous tax filings to see if you ended up paying over 7,500 to make sure you get the full benefit. If not, talk to a tax expert now so they can help you do somethings like, change your 401K from traditional to a roth so you up your taxes thus getting the most benefit of them.

good luck, you got a great deal (I think). I guess the battery loss is due to it sitting there with a full battery for long periods of time.

Thanks, I got the 7,500 for my volt in 2012 but had to play with an IRA. I checked my taxes for last year and I should qualify, if not Ill move some out of an IRA again to qualify for the full amount.

I think the loss is due to the battery sitting also. But it was still a good deal even knowing it may have some loss from sitting around charged.

pkulak said:
When you first looked at it, was the charge level at 100%?

Well, not really. It was about 350 miles away from me and I took a chance. Knowing it may have some degradation from sitting around charged. The first time I actually saw it was when I picked it up to tow it home. I figured I could live with the degradation and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. Can't find many $36,000 for $9,500 out there with new factory warranty. Plus it will basically pay for itself in equivalent gas costs in 5 years.

First successful commute.

26 miles each way, 52 round trip. With AC on during the trip home. Ended up with 26 miles left on the GOM. I think this car is going to work work really well for my commute.

Hopefully I get some GID's back. Will check them again next week. Highest number of GID's so far is 257.

hugenbd said:
First successful commute.
26 miles each way, 52 round trip. With AC on during the trip home..
Congrats!!
I have to admit I'm amazed how efficient the AC is on these cars... (At least the original AC; I've heard the Heat Pump's AC isn't quite as efficient..)

As you get more comfortable with LBW, you'll be much happier.. For weeks, even tho I knew the LBW was no biggie and I was only a few miles from my charge, I'd still get nervous when she told me my battery was low.. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
As you get more comfortable with LBW, you'll be much happier.. For weeks, even tho I knew the LBW was no biggie and I was only a few miles from my charge, I'd still get nervous when she told me my battery was low.. ;-)
I've still never heard the LBW... drove it 55 miles on the expressway yesterday and still had 2 bars when I got home. Had it down to 1 bar for awhile once, but that's as close as I've gotten. Probably won't until winter at this point.

Wennfred said:
Getting the 2016 Chevy Volt in Oct, going exempt on 2 or 3 overtime checks to help absorb the 7500.00 tax credit, that's pretty much the only way I can get that 7500.00 back.
That's.... not how that works. You need to pay enough federal taxes overall in order to qualify for the credit. What you're doing here is just delaying your tax liability till tax time. It won't change how much you owe.

Talk to a tax expert, I'm pretty sure you're not doing the right thing here.

hugenbd said:
Hi
Long time reader. Just bought my new Leaf.

Found a leaf that was sitting on the lot for a while in St. Louis.

New 2013 SL, $17k. Starting mileage of 408.

Couldn't pass the deal up. $9,500 after Fed rebate for an originally priced $36k car with the factory 3 year warranty.

I have installed a Bluetooth ODBII adapter, and bought Leaf Spy Pro. The battery is a little worse than I would have thought. 91% with 257 GIDs. Is there any way to restore the GIDs? i.e. running to near empty then charging to 100%? I am not overly concerned as we are able to drive it at around 4.3 mile per kwh and my commute will be 52 miles round trip. I have a volt I can use in the winter if it's not able to make it. Plus Cincinnati just opened about 5 combo DC quick chargers.

One last question. What battery warranty comes with the 2013's? Would it be part of the class action settlement? or is there a different warranty?

Thanks
Dave
Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati)
About the same with 12000 Km, 256 Gids, hovering around 58 Ah and 89%. I guess it degrades similar whether you drive it or not. What is the production date? (tag on drivers door). you may want to update delivery date and s/n in your profile.

ElectricEddy said:
About the same with 12000 Km, 256 Gids, hovering around 58 Ah and 89%. I guess it degrades similar whether you drive it or not. What is the production date? (tag on drivers door). you may want to update delivery date and s/n in your profile.

Production date is 6/13. So almost two years of just sitting.

hugenbd said:
ElectricEddy said:

Production date is 6/13. So almost two years of just sitting.
Matches my SL's production date 06/13 and difference in serial #s indicate at least 1708 produced that month. At 57 leafs rolling out per day. No wonder quality issues are the norm. It just seems a little curious your gid count matches mine with the difference in mileage. I did charge to 80% mostly the first year, but now I exclusively charge to 100% via L2. I did get an increase in gids (265 )when first doing that for about 2 months (late winter, early spring) but now settled back to 256ish. I have not tried an L3 yet, but as mentioned on this forum previously some have had an increase in doing so. Maybe try that and re-post on this thread your results. I might try this next. BTW hows the hood alignment?(off topic I know,sorry)

Back