Someone Should Contact Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafAlpha

Hi All,

I feel like most of us are smarter than the average bear. This is why we chose to drive the leaf! Below is my idea:

We are all familiar with the feeling of range anxiety and daily commute planning, but we are all doing the right thing by driving the leaf and saving a ton of cash too! I know I am no where near giving up my Leaf, nor do I ever want to give up my leaf. But, I have looked up what happens when your battery dies and you have to pay 5,500 to replace it. Is it possible when my battery capacity goes down to have Nissan replace them with a higher range battery pack? I would definitely pay for it? How cool would that be to keep your Leaf for 10-20 years and just replace the batteries with extended ranges attached to them? I would have no issue with that!

LeafAlpha said:
How cool would that be to keep your Leaf for 10-20 years and just replace the batteries with extended ranges attached to them? I would have no issue with that!
Very unlikely that will happen :cry:

LeafAlpha said:
Is it possible when my battery capacity goes down to have Nissan replace them with a higher range battery pack? I would definitely pay for it?
Possible? Sure..
Likely, I'd say no.. Nissan is in the business to sell cars, not batteries..

LeafAlpha said:
How cool would that be to keep your Leaf for 10-20 years and just replace the batteries with extended ranges attached to them? I would have no issue with that!
Would be cool. Always possible (not sure how, but more likely than Nissan) that there will be 3rd party batteries you can get, but... I wouldn't bet on it..

desiv

if the higher ups in Nissan are reading this make us swap our battery, or if not 3rd party make us some battery and make some money heheheh I sure love my leaf.

I wonder if sometime soon when technology makes batteries cheaper and more powerful, if a startup company could make replacement batteries for the Leaf and other EVs?

LKK said:
I wonder if sometime soon when technology makes batteries cheaper and more powerful, if a startup company could make replacement batteries for the Leaf and other EVs?

Eventually I think that will happen. As batteries get smaller, lighter and more energy-dense, the physical challenge of fitment becomes much easier and you aren't as closely tied to a proprietary form factor that just barely fits with complex positioning.

LKK said:

Maybe Tesla will do that with the new battery factory they are building in Northern Nevada.

baustin said:
LKK said:

Maybe Tesla will do that with the new battery factory they are building in Northern Nevada.

If Nissan is here to sell you cars, then Tesla is here to sell you THEIR cars. Not going to happen.

Be prepared to wait awhile. If it's anything like the replacement batteries for honda hybrids, you're looking at 15 years from first car model available to viable replacement product.

Wouldn't you be able to buy whatever battery is currently being installed at that time? Are current replacements the Lizard battery? You would still see incremental improvements.

Back