Used 2011 Leaf, 19k miles already down 2 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henchman

We bought a used 2011 leaf. It only has 19k mikes on it, but has already lost 2 bars.
Is that normal?

Depending on how that '11 LEAF was treated during those ~4 years and ~20k miles, no, it's not unusual.

Henchman said:
We bought a used 2011 leaf. It only has 19k mikes on it, but has already lost 2 bars.
Is that normal?

Depends more on where you live, or more precisely where the Leaf has been, than anything the owner did.

Capacity loss is a function of temperature first. Sure, miles count, as does owner behaviour.

If this car was in Phoenix, AZ, or some place hotter, a 2011 with only 2 bars lost is doing very good. Better than normal, as perhaps someone from AZ will confirm.

If this car was in Seattle, WA, or some place that is mostly cool climate, then a 2011 with 2 bars lost indicates some sort of owner abuse or mechanical defect. Many 2011's in Seattle area have yet to lose one bar.

If you would like a more complete answer, give us more information. Where has the car been? What model, does it have the DCQC (Direct Current Quick Charge) port? Where are you located?

drees said:
Depending on how that '11 LEAF was treated during those ~4 years and ~20k miles, no, it's not unusual.

From afar, I get the impression that 2 bars down for a 2011 in San Diego is pretty typical. Is this accurate?

Henchman said:
Is that normal?

The 2011/2012 batteries (and probably also 2013/2014) have a chemistry that is damaged by high daily temperatures, so if the car came from a hot climate that is normal. I lost my second bar around 22,000 miles, but only 2 1/2 years in south Florida heat. The good news is that Nissan, due to a Class Action lawsuit, has given us a 5 year/60,000 mile capacity warranty, so if you lose 4 bars you get the new 2015 battery with improved chemistry. If you only have one year left in the capacity warranty, it may be impossible for you to lose 2 more bars. You can find out from the dealer the exact date the Leaf was put into service to calculate when your 5 years is up. There are quite a few threads on this site that deal with the battery degradation/capacity warranty/class action suit if you care to read more.

I have the same problem with my 2011 leaf although it had 24k miles when I bought it. Is there anyway to find out what location it came from? Through Carfax?

Other then this I can't complain. I have only a 16 mile commute one way and it handles it just fine.

WetEV said:
Capacity loss is a function of temperature first. Sure, miles count, as does owner behaviour.

And time, don't forget time! I think that's likely to be what's at play following climate with both the (relatively low mile) cars mentioned in this thread.

You spelled "behaviour" like someone from the UK. Are you? Or are you using British English as the default language on your PC/Mac/Mobile device?

I'll see what it says after Inget the program update.
I woke up this morning with a full charge and a 48 mile range.
I got to work, about a 12 mile drive, and had 57 miles left.

Hmmm.

Henchman said:
Don't trust the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) for any reliable data about battery / range connection.

If you can, get an ODB2 bluetooth adapter and an Android device to run Leaf Spy (or ODB2 WiFi and an iPhone??? That still in Beta??) so you can see actual battery percentage.

The Guess-O-Meter is notorious. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
Henchman said:
Don't trust the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) for any reliable data about battery / range connection.

If you can, get an ODB2 bluetooth adapter and an Android device to run Leaf Spy (or ODB2 WiFi and an iPhone??? That still in Beta??) so you can see actual battery percentage.

The Guess-O-Meter is notorious. ;-)

desiv
Recommendations for a Bluetooth ODB2?
I have an android phone.

mwalsh said:
Henchman said:
I have an android phone.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL3KQZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And you just plug that directly into the ODb2 port on the Leaf?

Henchman said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL3KQZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And you just plug that directly into the ODb2 port on the Leaf?[/quote]

Yep, and pair it to the Android device. Only thing is, since it has a BT radio on-off switch, you gotta make sure the radio is switched on when you want to use it. 9 times out of 10 when I plug it in, it will be.

Henchman said:
I have an android phone.

This is the one I got - $9.98 fulfilled by Amazon - it does not have an on/off button.
If you leave it plugged in when parked, it can drain the 12v starter battery.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F4JHHO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baustin said:
If you leave it plugged in when parked, it can drain the 12v starter battery.
Mine doesn't have a switch either.
I do leave it plugged in all the time, and haven't had a problem with my 12v (yet).
Of course, I drive the car a lot 5 days a week, so I think that helps my 12V.

desiv

WetEV said:
drees said:
From afar, I get the impression that 2 bars down for a 2011 in San Diego is pretty typical. Is this accurate?
Only lightly used LEAFs kept near the coast might have only one bar lost at this point, IMO.

I'll see how it looks after today's reprogramming. Yesterday I had a 48 Mike range after charging. Today it's 64 miles.
go figure.

Henchman said:
And you just plug that directly into the ODb2 port on the Leaf?
Better to use an extension cable.
Occasionally it will hang up and need to be unplugged and plugged back in to reestablish connection.
Better not to put that wear and tear on the car port.
See Wiki.

drees said:
Only lightly used LEAFs kept near the coast might have only one bar lost at this point, IMO.
Actually there's a thread here for 2011 Leafs without any lost bars yet..
There are a couple/few left still.. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
drees said:
Actually there's a thread here for 2011 Leafs without any lost bars yet..
There are a couple/few left still.. ;-)
But In San Diego or Southern California?

Back