Ideal Charger Timer settings both 1 & 2 ??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sondy132001

I'm new to Nissan Leaf, getting better each day ! I am having problems with my Charging Timers, both 1 & 2, I wasn't sure how to set them, I went to a charging station by my work to check it out and, try using it so I wouldn't have problems when I really needed it.

I sat there for 20 mins, I got a message saying charging was complete and I unhooked. well nothing charged, so why I sat there for 20 mins is beyond me, when it clearly stated on the station I was "Charging".

I called EVConnect they said my timers could be off or not set right ?? So I read through my manual and also searched here (couldn't find too much). I re-set my timers and tried setting them myself, hopefully this would be better. Well I plugged in my car last night when I got home last night, 6pm and went out to my car this morning at 7:30 and I was at 37, usually I'm at 67, my round trip to work is less than 40 miles.

I have two or three questions, how do I know my timers are off?

Is leaving my timers blank better ?

What are the ideal settings for my timers, both #1 & #2 ??

Any help would be so appreciative. I have the Level 1 Trickle Charger at home. at work we have the Level 2's.

Sondra

Each timer has setting for days of the week.
Each Day of the week will show either Timer 1, Timer 2, or OFF.

Timers can have Start Time, or End Time, or both.

If you want Timer to cause charging to start immediately when you plug in, make Start and End time the same.
Also possible to push Timer override button to do that. But override charges to 100%.
With Timer on 2012 you can choose 80%.

Best settings depends on your schedule and whether you have time of day electric rates.
A lot of people set only end time around when they need to leave. (or towards end of low cost power rate)
The LEAF timer is conservative and charging usually finishes quite a while earlier than end setting.

120V charging is so slow that using timers may be pretty useless unless you don't drive very far.

Be sure 120V has been properly inspected and is suitable for vehicle charging use.
There is risk with 120V, why Nissan recommends emergency limited use only.

Tim thank you so much for your time and input, very much appreciated. One question comes to mind, my timer 2 I set Midnight to 8am, if my car is plugged in, will it come on at midnight and charge automatically ? or is this something where I have to push a button or ? Thanks again, sincerely !

Sondra

TimLee said:
Each timer has setting for days of the week.
Each Day of the week will show either Timer 1, Timer 2, or OFF.

Timers can have Start Time, or End Time, or both.

If you want Timer to cause charging to start immediately when you plug in, make Start and End time the same.
Also possible to push Timer override button to do that. But override charges to 100%.
With Timer on 2012 you can choose 80%.

Best settings depends on your schedule and whether you have time of day electric rates.
A lot of people set only end time around when they need to leave. (or towards end of low cost power rate)
The LEAF timer is conservative and charging usually finishes quite a while earlier than end setting.

120V charging is so slow that using timers may be pretty useless unless you don't drive very far.

Be sure 120V has been properly inspected and is suitable for vehicle charging use.
There is risk with 120V, why Nissan recommends emergency limited use only.

Sondy132001 said:
Tim thank you so much for your time and input, very much appreciated. One question comes to mind, my timer 2 I set Midnight to 8am, if my car is plugged in, will it come on at midnight and charge automatically ? or is this something where I have to push a button or ? Thanks again, sincerely !

Sondra
The charging should start at midnight, assuming that timer 2 is set for that day of the week.

One problem newcomers face when setting the timers is that the settings have to be "saved" and "on". Unless you do both, the timer settings will not be on.

If you turn both timers "off", the car will charge any time you plug it in. You can turn either timer on or off without changing the settings. Each time you do change the settings, whether time or days of the week, you need to save the new setting, which takes several steps to be complete.

The easiest type of setting to use is end-time-only: don't set a start time and just set the end time. Then the car will start charging on its own and should be finished by the end-time, assuming that you are using a Level 2 (240 V) EVSE. Level 1 (120 V) charging is so slow that using the timers doesn't work well, as TimLee said above.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Thank you Thank you ! I have the trickle charger for now, yes very slow ! I'd like to get the upgrade: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But until I figure out how my local charging stations work and I get them to work on my leaf, I am hesitant to send them my charger for a week or more ?? I will go at lunch and try charging again and set up my timers with no start times !!

Thanks dgpcolorado & Tim !

dgpcolorado said:
Sondy132001 said:

Sondra
The charging should start at midnight, assuming that timer 2 is set for that day of the week.

One problem newcomers face when setting the timers is that the settings have to be "saved" and "on". Unless you do both, the timer settings will not be on.

If you turn both timers "off", the car will charge any time you plug it in. You can turn either timer on or off without changing the settings. Each time you do change the settings, whether time or days of the week, you need to save the new setting, which takes several steps to be complete.

The easiest type of setting to use is end-time-only: don't set a start time and just set the end time. Then the car will start charging on its own and should be finished by the end-time, assuming that you are using a Level 2 (240 V) EVSE. Level 1 (120 V) charging is so slow that using the timers doesn't work well, as TimLee said above.

Hope that helps.

The one sure way to always be able to charge is to push the Timer Override button when you charge. It's the one with the clock face on it, IIRC. I have a 2013 Leaf with the 80% charge option, so I have reason to set one timer to 'always charge,' but to 80%. You don't have that option, so the only reasons you might have to use the timers at all is if you either want to use a lower off-peak electricity rate, or if you want to reach 100% shortly before leaving, to preserve the battery pack. If you don't have a reason to use the timer(s), turn it/them off. There were numerous occasions in my first year or so of driving my Leaf when the crazy timer system stopped me from charging...

LeftieBiker said:
The one sure way to always be able to charge is to push the Timer Override button when you charge. It's the one with the clock face on it, IIRC. I have a 2013 Leaf with the 80% charge option, so I have reason to set one timer to 'always charge,' but to 80%. You don't have that option, so the only reasons you might have to use the timers at all is if you either want to use a lower off-peak electricity rate, or if you want to reach 100% shortly before leaving, to preserve the battery pack. If you don't have a reason to use the timer(s), turn it/them off. There were numerous occasions in my first year or so of driving my Leaf when the crazy timer system stopped me from charging...

Thank you for the input, I turned off my timers and it actually charged this time. The Level 2 upgrade is my next purchase !

LeftieBiker said:
The one sure way to always be able to charge is to push the Timer Override button when you charge. It's the one with the clock face on it, IIRC.

The other thing worth noting is that the Timer Override is engaged when you push the button AND the center blue light stays on SOLID before you plug in. If all 3 of the lights blink in sequence, the car is still waiting for the timer to start the charge, so you won't get a charge.

Sondra has a 2012, so does have Timers with 80% charge option.

Turning the Timers off to assure it charges when you plug in is a good choice.

I always use the Timer over ride button when using commercial L2 or even at home with L2 now that I always charge to 100%.

One caution when using the timer override button: if the car is unplugged and then plugged-in again the override will be off and the car will not charge unless the timers are off or set for that time period. Something to consider if using a public charge station and there is a possibility that the car will be unplugged for a time.

Just turning off the two timers, as Sondy132001 did, is the most reliable way to use a public charge station because the car will charge anytime it is plugged-in. When I use the override button I try to use Carwings on my computer to keep an eye on how the charging is going so that I don't get any surprises. Not that I have ever been unplugged, so far as I am aware.

Just saying...

dgpcolorado said:
One caution when using the timer override button: if the car is unplugged and then plugged-in again the override will be off and the car will not charge unless the timers are off or set for that time period. ...
Very good point.
About the only L2 I do is top off at the dealer, so I am usually at the car or back soon and unlikely would be unplugged there.

I really appreciate the input from you all. :D I turned off my timers, both and it seems to be charging when ever I hook up to the charger. Drove from Mission Viejo, where I live to Cerritos College last Sunday it was 36 miles one way, and it was hot in the 90's so I ran the ac too and felt very comfy driving there. Plus they had L2 chargers, while I watched my sons basketball game and got back home too. That was a big deal for me, I have only driven to work and back with the car 32 miles roundtrip.

I am much more comfy with the computer/nav system too, really been scouring the owner's manual and here and the net to learn as much as possible.

It seems I can never get my car to full charge, always between 67 and 75. I think I am going to hit the Mall (they have QC's) this week and do a quick charge to see if I can get it to 100% for my own piece of mind. My battery is missing only 1 bar, which from reading here seems good at my mileage, average.

I keep an eye on the heat, runs about 5-6 bars, never less or more. Like Tim said my car is a 2012, does have quick charge capability, does it have regen braking capabilities? I need to learn all my icons on my dashboard. Figured out the clock next to the MPH finally =) Thinking about getting my spare (donut) tire and jack and dump the fix a flat ;)

I'm hoping to keep this car for quite awhile and truly hoping Elon Musk develops a cheaper stronger longer battery for us Leafs, would be sweet in the next couple years ! Thanks again for the input.

Sondra

Sondy132001 said:
2012, does have quick charge capability, does it have regen braking capabilities?
Although there's a consensus here that the LEAF's controller refrains from using as much regeneration on an older battery as when the car was new, there will still be some. Next time you're slowing down for a stop and can safely do this, just release the accelerator pedal completely and look at the "power" display - the arc of 'bubbles' at the top center of the main instrument panel. When you're parked, say, only the center dot or bubble will be lit up. But in a no-brake-pedal deceleration to a stop, you should see a string of bubbles light up to the left of that center 'zero power' dot. Each bubble represents 10KW. Bubbles to left-of-center show regenerated power going back into the battery; bubbles to right-of-center show power supplied from the battery to the motor.

Levenkay said:
Sondy132001 said:
2012, does have quick charge capability, does it have regen braking capabilities?
Although there's a consensus here that the LEAF's controller refrains from using as much regeneration on an older battery as when the car was new, there will still be some. Next time you're slowing down for a stop and can safely do this, just release the accelerator pedal completely and look at the "power" display - the arc of 'bubbles' at the top center of the main instrument panel. When you're parked, say, only the center dot or bubble will be lit up. But in a no-brake-pedal deceleration to a stop, you should see a string of bubbles light up to the left of that center 'zero power' dot. Each bubble represents 10KW. Bubbles to left-of-center show regenerated power going back into the battery; bubbles to right-of-center show power supplied from the battery to the motor.

ok yes I have seen that, thanks for that description, works for me !

Sondy132001 said:

It seems I can never get my car to full charge, always between 67 and 75. I think I am going to hit the Mall (they have QC's) this week and do a quick charge to see if I can get it to 100% for my own piece of mind. My battery is missing only 1 bar, which from reading here seems good at my mileage, average.

Sondra
You have a misunderstanding about the Distance to Empty, aka Guess-O-Meter.
It is the LEAF's estimate of how many miles you can drive.
The 2012 only indication of charge status are the status of charge bars or sometimes called fuel bars on the left.
If you have turned off the timers and all twelve of the bars on the left are lit the LEAF is fully charged.

Unlikely you will see 100 miles or more on the DTE unless you find a level place to drive at a steady 15 miles per hour for a half hour and then recharge.
It estimates your range based on previous driving on a fairly long average.

The 2011 and 2012 will keep the cells balanced better with some 100% charging. But the difference from cell balance is modest, maybe 5 to 8 miles.

TimLee said:
Sondy132001 said:

Sondra
You have a misunderstanding about the Distance to Empty, aka Guess-O-Meter.
It is the LEAF's estimate of how many miles you can drive.
The 2012 only indication of charge status are the status of charge bars or sometimes called fuel bars on the left.
If you have turned off the timers and all twelve of the bars on the left are lit the LEAF is fully charged.

Unlikely you will see 100 miles or more on the DTE unless you find a level place to drive at a steady 15 miles per hour for a half hour and then recharge.
It estimates your range based on previous driving on a fairly long average.

The 2011 and 2012 will keep the cells balanced better with some 100% charging. But the difference from cell balance is modest, maybe 5 to 8 miles.

ok so I will never see my car at a "full charge". I've never seen all 12 fuel bars on my dash.

TimLee said:
Sorry to belabor what is probably the obvious, but the bars Tim is referring to as the "LEFT bars" are not the leftmost bars in the dash display; those would be the battery temperature bars, of course. Instead, he means the left portions of the bars of the right-hand bar graph.

Levenkay said:
TimLee said:
Sorry to belabor what is probably the obvious, but the bars Tim is referring to as the "LEFT bars" are not the leftmost bars in the dash display; those would be the battery temperature bars, of course. Instead, he means the left portions of the bars of the right-hand bar graph.

Yes I am familiar with the battery temp bars (it runs between 5-6 bars) and I know the battery quality bars (I have 11 out of 12), I've just never seen the fully charged bars for my car, it's 67-75 miles.

Sondy132001 said:
...I've just never seen the fully charged bars for my car, it's 67-75 miles.
If you have both timers off, and the 120V EVSE has been plugged in long enough it should have all twelve of the status of charge or fuel bars on the left side of the two rows of bars on the right all lit.

When it finishes all three LEDs on the top of the dash are lit solid for a period of time.
When they are all lit steady is when it has finished charging.

Back