is kwh from the battery or the plug?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernieTx

When people say the Leaf goes 4 miles/kwh or 5 miles/kwh, is that kwh from the battery, or kwh from the utility company? Also, what do most people see, for the miles/kwh number, for an average mix of city and highway driving, 65mph?

How much does it cost for the electricity to drive a Leaf? My marginal electricity rate varies from 0.125/kwh to 0.16/kwh in the summer. So, using 4miles/kwh, which would be 0.25kwh/mile. Then it would be between $3.12 and $4 dollars per 100 miles. Does that seem about right? Also is 120v charging just as efficient as 240v L2 charging?
- Bernie

Usually, "from the battery", unless you can measure what you draw from all EVSEs you use, then you can figure it that way too. I think 4m/kWh is a good avg.

$30-40 a month sounds about right.

L2 is more efficient.

Welcome to the forum.

The search function is your friend.

Please list your location in your profile.

BernieTx said:
When people say the Leaf goes 4 miles/kwh or 5 miles/kwh, is that kwh from the battery, or kwh from the utility company? Also, what do most people see, for the miles/kwh number, for an average mix of city and highway driving, 65mph?

How much does it cost for the electricity to drive a Leaf? My marginal electricity rate varies from 0.125/kwh to 0.16/kwh in the summer. So, using 4miles/kwh, which would be 0.25kwh/mile. Then it would be between $3.12 and $4 dollars per 100 miles. Does that seem about right? Also is 120v charging just as efficient as 240v L2 charging?
- Bernie

I've created a spreadsheet with ballpark figures that you can view/print. It used the lowest and highest utility rates since 2013, you need simply line up your utility rate with the percentage of charge to 100% and get a ballpark figure of electricity. It's only meant as a quick cheat sheet, doesn't account for slight charging losses, heat generation, etc. It is just a good way to get a quick glance of how much it *may* cost to charge your leaf from say 0% dead or 50% depleted, etc. You can always round up for half-cent cost to get a little more accuracy (round 9.5 cents to 10 cents for example).

Link to PDF Here:
http://knightmb.dyndns.org/files/leaf/Nissan%20Leaf%20Charge%20to%20Cost.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back