Mystery button

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo8756

Hello all i'm new to the forum and owning a leaf I have gotten a Nissan Leaf Acenta (middle model) and i was wondering if any one could tell me what this button does its situated on the ceiling of my car just behind the reading lights it has a car symbol with what looks like a wifi symbol within when i press this button there is no beep or light coming on the dashboard i have attached an image at the bottom of this page.

Thanks for looking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34890g67too4waf/2015-02-26 17.04.18.jpg?dl=0

neo8756 said:
Hello all i'm new to the forum and owning a leaf I have gotten a Nissan Leaf Acenta (middle model) and i was wondering if any one could tell me what this button does its situated on the ceiling of my car just behind the reading lights it has a car symbol with what looks like a wifi symbol within when i press this button there is no beep or light coming on the dashboard i have attached an image at the bottom of this page.

Thanks for looking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34890g67too4waf/2015-02-26 17.04.18.jpg?dl=0

Did you try it? I assume your car came with an owners manual.

Sure looks like a local hotspot fixture (although about 10X bigger than it needs to be). Did you scan for Wifi? Maybe just an enclosure for a future upgrade.

Looked in manual and nothing points to what it is.
Tried pressing it a bunch of times doesn't seem to do anything. checked with phone doesnt seem to be giving off any hotspots.

I did buy the car used so it may be something that was added by the previous owners. May have to call into a Nissan garage see if they can tell me what it is.

neo8756 said:
I did buy the car used so it may be something that was added by the previous owners. May have to call into a Nissan garage see if they can tell me what it is.

Ah, that explains a lot. Probably aftermarket WiFi then.

Edit: Is there a chance you can call in at the garage where the car was originally sold? It might just be something they fitted for the owner.

This is a euro spec LEAF, and that module is probably for the interior security alarm sensor. This is designed to set off the car alarm if the windows are smashed to gain entry, but it can set the alarm off if it is set and the windows are down a bit. That button is to turn off the sensor.

These types of alarms are pretty common in Europe, and on European cars sold here in the US. My Porsches and Audis have that type of sensor. Some are acoustic like this one and others are IR.

Ah, yes. It all becomes clear, now you mention it. My Mini was fitted with an aftermarket alarm system like this. On my car the install wasn't so swish - a simple stalk affair that screwed into the headliner at the windshield header and sat above the rear view mirror. It was IR though, while your're probably correct that the OP's is acoustic based on the cutouts in the housing.

The switch is probably for turning it off so you can still sit in the car with the power off and the doors locked.

Back