A newbie question about the battery warranty settlement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub3marathonman

OK, I keep thinking I'll find this information, but so far I haven't, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I thought the warranty settlement was supposed to be if the remaining battery capacity dropped under 70%. But, then it says the LEAF must be down 4 capacity bars, which gives apparently a 66% or 67% remaining capacity.

So what happens if you're under 70% but still have 9 capacity bars?

sub3marathonman said:
I thought the warranty settlement was supposed to be if the remaining battery capacity dropped under 70%. But, then it says the LEAF must be down 4 capacity bars, which gives apparently a 66% or 67% remaining capacity.

So what happens if you're under 70% but still have 9 capacity bars?
You need to quit listening to and hearing the marketing oriented lies portion of what Nissan says.

Takes time to develop that skill, but it will come with time.

As Nissan has said in the clear accurate portion of what they said, they will do nothing on the capacity warranty until you are down to eight capacity bars.

And that is nominally 66.25% as they confirmed in the August 2013 dinner with several people in Phoenix.

The 70% language that has been used other times is the marketing inaccuracy portion of what they said.
It is meaningless and has to be disregarded.

TimLee said:
As Nissan has said in the clear accurate portion of what they said, they will do nothing on the capacity warranty until you are down to eight capacity bars.

And that is nominally 66.25% as they confirmed in the August 2013 dinner with several people in Phoenix.

The 70% language that has been used other times is the marketing inaccuracy portion of what they said.
It is meaningless and has to be disregarded.

Thanks for the information Tim. I had thought somewhere things were stated as a verifiable percentage, not as capacity squares, which I was under the impression could be altered by Nissan (or maybe somebody else too).

sub3marathonman said:
...I had thought somewhere things were stated as a verifiable percentage, not as capacity squares, which I was under the impression could be altered by Nissan (or maybe somebody else too).
They have said 70% in several statements.
But they just think people like hearing round numbers.
But 70% is just inaccurate communication.
The real nominal value is 66.25%.

What you are recalling about bars is either the P3227 software change which can make them a little strange for a month or two.

The other possibility is the Clear Long Term Capacity Data that can be done with a Consult 3.
That can make them inaccurate for several months.
Might be 4 to 6 months before they are correct.

:eek: correct me if im wrong.... I just bought a 2012 Nissan leaf 1week ago I have noticed 1 bar gone, if they do a test and the capacity is lower than %66.25 they will change the battery even tho they have 11 bars left??? another one is they can change the capacity bars.. ohh my....

flipnotize21 said:
:eek: correct me if im wrong.... I just bought a 2012 Nissan leaf 1week ago I have noticed 1 bar gone, if they do a test and the capacity is lower than %66.25 they will change the battery even tho they have 11 bars left??? another one is they can change the capacity bars.. ohh my....
The capacity won't be below 66.25% unless someone has recently reset the capacity bars (one known case of this happening already).

flipnotize21 said:

Nope. 4 bars need to be gone under the capacity warranty, no matter what. They might do something under the materials and workmanship warranty if testing proved a pack to be otherwise defective, but that's about it.

And, yes, they can change the displaying number of capacity bars back to 12 by resetting the battery controller. Nissan claimed (in court even) that was something near impossible to do without a concurrent pack or battery controller replacement, but the reality is that it can be done quite easily without any other service work taking place.

Back