Greetings!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReagleFamily

We are new to the EV world but my husband is obsessed! haha! We have a 2011 Leaf and love it...however, my husband just switched jobs and his new job doesn't have a charging station nor is there one nearby...has anyone had any experience getting their employer to install one (the employer is very Eco Friendly)??

He has to charge while at work in order to make it back (almost 55 miles each way) and has been taking my car until he figures out what to do about charging. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!

Is there an outlet he can use at all? He can get all he needs over 8 hours on the factory 120v EVSE. Assuming a) he's at work for 8 hours with no need of the car during that time and b) there is an outlet he has pretty much exclusive access to ('cause the car alone will be drawing 12A from a 16A circuit).

Of course you'll need another game plan when battery degradation has started to catch up with you (if it hasn't already). What is your geographical location?

@MWalsh: He is asking about the outlet today...hopefully they can work something out! and no, once he gets to work, it is parked in a gated yard and he takes his work truck. We are in the SF Bay Area :) We have the 240 charger at home and overall, the battery seems to be doing great. Any tips/tricks that you have learned along the way, please feel free to shoot our way!

@Wennfred: yes, the closest charging point is over a mile away so he will do that if he has to but he wants to see if his work would be willing to install a 240 :)

ReagleFamily said:
@Wennfred: yes, the closest charging point is over a mile away so he will do that if he has to but he wants to see if his work would be willing to install a 240 :)

240v would be nice and all that's needed is an outlet if you upgrade your 120v brick with EVSE Upgrade,

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=48t163mha4rrfp46mou3hms5h1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not the 120v hookup should work if he is staying longer hours.

Fred

Well it is that time of the year for annual reviews and salary negotiations. If you don't get a big raise, just ask if they would be willing to put in an EVSE to keep him happy and at his job. Of course this only applies if he is a needed employee and not a replaceable.

And I don't see why they wouldn't be OK with you offering to pay for the equipment, permits, installation, metering, and maintenance of an EVSE on their property. It is not like it costs them anything but a parking spot and maybe a breaker on the main panel.

thank you everyone!

I think we are going to go with the EVSE upgrade...how many of you have experience with this and would you recommend it or no?

again, a huge THANK YOU! :)

ReagleFamily said:
thank you everyone!

I think we are going to go with the EVSE upgrade...how many of you have experience with this and would you recommend it or no?

again, a huge THANK YOU! :)

Mine has been upgraded by them and as well as many others here, truly comes in handy for when I go to my friends house or to a camp grounds with various RV outlets. I plug right into his Dryer 240v connector.

Fred

ReagleFamily said:
This has been our primary 240v charging unit since shortly after bringing our 2011 home. It has worked perfectly the entire time, now always immediately to 100%, but previously to both 80% and 100% on delayed starts with random rebalancing. I've recommended it several times as an upgrade to the OEM Nissan EVSE.

I wanted to keep the original EVSE, so bought a juicebox http://emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/category/listing/23-juicebox-ev-charging-stations. I've never seen such a "built-to-last" piece of equipment. I've not actually used it yet in over 3 months ownership. That means I've done all of my charging at 110v, or public L2 (not so much).

But would think it would be easier to get employer to install a 220v outlet than to invest in a piece of charging infrastructure that might be obsoleted in 5 years. Also sorta takes away some of their feelings of "I have no idea what this is, and whether I'm introducing a liability issue for the company". If it's just an outlet. They get that.

edit: even easier to get them to install an outdoor 110v outlet if that would meet your needs. Always try to keep in mind that you don't have to leave every charge at 100%, you just have to have enough to go where you need to go with some cushion.

Back