Japanese import to New Zealand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaddman

Hi,
I've bought myself a 2012 Leaf, imported 2nd hand from Japan into NZ (pretty common for cars here). Unfortunately it means the head unit is all in Japanese and no apparent Carwings support. So, a few questions for any Kiwis here:

1. Is there any software update that could change the language to English (and the timezone for that matter)?
  2. Is it possible to activate Carwings in NZ?
  3. Any way to change the map to show current location, not Japan?

thanks!
chris

gaddman said:
Hi,
I've bought myself a 2012 Leaf, imported 2nd hand from Japan into NZ (pretty common for cars here). Unfortunately it means the head unit is all in Japanese and no apparent Carwings support. So, a few questions for any Kiwis here:

1. Is there any software update that could change the language to English (and the timezone for that matter)?
  2. Is it possible to activate Carwings in NZ?
  3. Any way to change the map to show current location, not Japan?

thanks!
chris

Hi from Auckland, Chris. As far as I know the answers are NO, NO and NO, unfortunately. For my 2014 Leaf (read 2012) dealer response is "what you see is what you get". There is nothing from Nissan on the software updates available elsewhere, and as no NZ map data has been created for the SD card system, Carwings can't work (so no login/password info from the dealers).

Yeah, thought that might be the case. Just spent some time checking the TCU (will write up a post on it) and can't find any SIM to swap out, so not very promising at all.

Hi Fulla's, I'm glad to see there are some Kiwis on here! :D
I've just Imported my Leaf from Japan, it arrived 5 weeks ago and we're loving it!!

Unfortunately the car arrived with no SD card fitted in the Nav unit.
Now we're not worried about Maps or Carwings as I know they are useless here in the Jap models. Carwings is not supported here at all regardless.
But having no Radio/Audio or Car Systems interface sucks big time!!

I've exhausted all the obvious avenues to get a New SD card. So only option left that I can see is to import a 2nd hand Nav unit from the States complete with with its SD card fitted. This option would also give us a unit in English.
There are plenty of wrecked Leafs in the States.
So my only question is ..... will a 2nd hand unit be a simple "plug n play"?
Its an important question considering the cost of the exercise will be approx NZD$1000.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Chris
Nelson NZ

Phatcat73 said:
Nelson. Have you called or emailed Nissan to send you a Japanese map update SD card?

Nissan.navigation.com

Hi Phatcat73,
I have talked to several dealers. (See a more detailed story here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Not much luck I'm afraid. There is not much Leaf knowledge amongst Nissan Dealers on this side of the world.

I'm assuming the Map update SD card is different to the Map SD card that resides in the unit full time. They each have different slots from what I've read. One updates the other.

Cheers
Chris

I was actually looking last week to see if it would be possible to build an NZ map, but I couldn't even read the SD card (Dell laptop onboard reader + Linux). So I can't offer to give you a copy of my SD card. But, in the process of researching I did notice there are a bunch of SD cards available on eBay. So suggest checking that out, they ranged in price but some around $50. Cheaper than a new head unit anyway. If I find a way to read the card I'll update on the forum, but I couldn't find anyone that has, so seems unlikely.

I was actually thinking of getting a replacement TCU from a wreckers as well, but was thinking Oz would be the place to go. No doubt fewer to choose from, but for the TCU at least it should work on NZ networks. Not sure if there would be much difference between a US and AU head unit. Maybe timezones, depending on whether you can set time completely or just choose a timezone.

If anyone has any bright ideas on reading/copying the SD card, yell out and Ill give it a crack.

Hello Chris (WingNut007),

I am also from Nelson and warming up to the idea of purchasing a Leaf. In particular since I am off grid and have surplus power in winter let alone during the rest of the year (plus charging at work).

Could you please contact me if you are able to help me going through the process of getting a Leaf?

Much appreciated.

Rudy
[email protected]

gaddman said:
...But, in the process of researching I did notice there are a bunch of SD cards available on eBay. So suggest checking that out, they ranged in price but some around $50. Cheaper than a new head unit anyway. If I find a way to read the card I'll update on the forum, but I couldn't find anyone that has, so seems unlikely.

The Navigation unit SD card includes a code that is based on the Navigation head unit firmware based code.
Only an SD card with the correct code will work.
SD cards from eBay will not work.

When you order replacement SD card you have to provide the head unit identification info, and the replacement card is encoded with the correct info.

There are other threads that detail this.

But if you don't have a functioning SD card to get the head unit info, so far no one has determined an alternate means to determine the head unit info.

Back