Do Heated Seats/Wheel Use 12V Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmatthias

Though I've had my Leaf for 3+ months, I've yet to find a definitive answer regarding the heated seats and steering wheel power source. I have found some inferences that point to this being true, but does anyone know this for certain?

Thanks for your patience,

99.7% sure because they couldn't easily be run off of the traction battery as it is several hundred volts and has a voltage range that swings too far for that type of application

Easy check, look in the fuse box for fuses to seat heaters and wheel heater. It's easy, but I'm not doing it because it's like 30f in my garage right now and I'm not going out there until I have to :lol:

I would say 12v. They aren't going to source heaters that work off anything else it wouldn't make sense.

NeilBlanchard said:
But, of course the 12V battery is charged off of the traction battery via a DC-to-DC converter.

but only when in ready mode, if you were to turn on the heated seats in accessory only mode you could end up with a dead 12v and not be able to start the car.

dhanson865 said:
NeilBlanchard said:
But, of course the 12V battery is charged off of the traction battery via a DC-to-DC converter.

but only when in ready mode, if you were to turn on the heated seats in accessory only mode you could end up with a dead 12v and not be able to start the car.
I would expect this to take a few hours. I noticed after a few minutes if I leave it in ACC. it shuts itself off. especially if I remove the fob out of the car.

but yes, Accessories use the 12V

As far as I know, everything in the car runs on 12V except for the traction motor and the Air Conditioner/Heater. But, as somebody else pointed out, even the 12V systems ultimately get powered by the high-voltage battery pack.

Heated seats and steering wheel would NEVER run off pack voltage as containing that voltage into the cabin would be costly and dangerous. HV in the seats would never make sense and heated elements like this are always 12V for many reasons regardless. How about a wet seat and 370V?

The AC runs off pack voltage, if not it would be worthless. Everything else in the car is 12V.

Back