88 mile commute - can I make it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can not use a leaf. Period. It will not go that far at 70mph period.

At 45 50 mph anytime but winter with low ac usage you ahould get that the first year.

The second year all bets are off.

Your commute is simply not compatible with this car.

Now an 88 mile commute round trip ie 44 miles each way a WITH charging at work

Yes. Totally compatible.

I live in Pittsburgh.
I have a 60-mile round-trip commute.
I could barely make it on the coldest days last winter (2nd year of ownership). That was staying below 55mph on the highway and not running the heater.
Forget 88 miles.

garsh said:
I live in Pittsburgh.
I have a 60-mile round-trip commute.
I could barely make it on the coldest days last winter (2nd year of ownership). That was staying below 55mph on the highway and not running the heater.
Forget 88 miles.

+1; although MD is typically milder than the Midwest, 60 R/T on cold days would be about the max (with a full 100% charge no less) and definitely not at 70mph … you would better off with a PHEV like a Volt or the new i3 w/REX or even a CMAX or some other high MPG hybrid … if money is no object about the only 100% EV that could consistently give you that kind of range without ANY worries would be a Tesla S. Figuring on 88 daily X 5 days X 50 weeks (2 for vacation) that's 22K per year which is above average for most commuters using this type of car.

Mdsolar said:
I am planning to buy new 2015 leaf . My total daily commute is 88 miles (70 high way+ 18 local).
I don't have charger at work, I live in MD. Can I easily get this range, Am I taking risk?
Please share your experience.
Thanks.

if you cannot find a way to charge at work the LEAF is not the car for you.
you should consider either a volt, or a tesla if you want an BEV

Mdsolar said:
I am planning to buy new 2015 leaf . My total daily commute is 88 miles (70 high way+ 18 local).
I don't have charger at work, I live in MD. Can I easily get this range, Am I taking risk?
There is no risk, it is certain you will NOT make it.

You need to charge at work to make this feasible. Forget charging on the route as you will soon hate your decision.

No, in my opinion, and I run the commute that most say is impossible. Significantly more battery is needed to run this in a LEAF without recharging. Now, if you are set on making this work, start looking into workplace charging or a L2 in close proximity to your work or route. Somewhere you would need to get 1-2 hrs on a 30 amp L2 to turn the commute.

rogersleaf said:
No, in my opinion, and I run the commute that most say is impossible. Significantly more battery is needed to run this in a LEAF without recharging. Now, if you are set on making this work, start looking into workplace charging or a L2 in close proximity to your work or route. Somewhere you would need to get 1-2 hrs on a 30 amp L2 to turn the commute.

Or 7 hours on a regular 120 amp plug. Personally if you want electric your best bet is a volt or maybe the bmw with the engine charger motorcycle engine. I would buy a corolla and not worry about it.

you would only be able to make it the first year or two and in Summer only. After that, range degradation will require you to charge somewhere. I would investigate future public charging plans first

here's an example. Very cold morning today. And a cold afternoon too. I have a 55 mile commute pretty easy for the leaf. But I always track when the pack gets to 50 percent. today it was at 30 miles. this means all I could have done today was 60. Nowhere near 88.

What everyone else said. Even if the LEAF had sufficient range, you should also factor in 30% degradation. If the car could make 88 miles today, it might not make 88 miles next year.

Back