Thinking About Buying a 2011 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinChico

Hi Folks,

I have a daily 36-mile (round trip) commute on flat roads, and I have my eye on a 2011 Leaf (with about 20k miles): http://chiconissan.com/Certified-2011-Nissan-LEAF-SL-Chico-CA/vd/23101220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charging is FREE where I work, and I think the charging stations are shaded.

The weather here (Chico, California) is generally mild, with an average, year-around temp of 61 deg F. Summers can be hot, with temperatures approaching 115-120 deg F. HOWEVER, I don't need to drive much in the summer, and I can leave the car in a shaded garage for most of June-August.

The sticker price is, of course, absurd at $16k, but I think that this may actually sell for about $12k-$13k.

Any suggestions, recommendations, sage advice?

Thanks!

MartinChico said:
Hi Folks,

I have a daily 36-mile (round trip) commute on flat roads, and I have my eye on a 2011 Leaf (with about 20k miles): http://chiconissan.com/Certified-2011-Nissan-LEAF-SL-Chico-CA/vd/23101220.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Buying a used 2011 is an excellent idea, but I suggest you probably want a DC port.

Does that LEAF have the QC?

Even if you think you won't want to use the LEAF on long drives, the fact is, you have a (not particularly reliable or convenient) DC route to the Bay area, and to Sacramento and points south today, which will become more expand and increase in utility as time passes.

Might work for your range needs.
But your climate is really bad for battery degradation.
Degrades very fast in that summer weather unless you put it in a garage and air condition the garage to 80F or less.

MartinChico said:
Hi Folks,

I have a daily 36-mile (round trip) commute on flat roads, and I have my eye on a 2011 Leaf (with about 20k miles): http://chiconissan.com/Certified-2011-Nissan-LEAF-SL-Chico-CA/vd/23101220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charging is FREE where I work, and I think the charging stations are shaded.

The weather here (Chico, California) is generally mild, with an average, year-around temp of 61 deg F. Summers can be hot, with temperatures approaching 115-120 deg F. HOWEVER, I don't need to drive much in the summer, and I can leave the car in a shaded garage for most of June-August.

The sticker price is, of course, absurd at $16k, but I think that this may actually sell for about $12k-$13k.

Any suggestions, recommendations, sage advice?

Thanks!
for not too much more money you could LEASE a new LEAF, with these cars there are just too many issues surrounding the cars that are older or higher milage.
J/S

You did notice it's down a capacity bar, right? Yes, the price IS high considering that.

You might want to get LEAF Spy (or another type of Gidometer) to see where you might be with respect to loosing the second bar.

I personally would hold out for a car with all 12 bars remaining, or a car with 4 gone already* (BUT would definitely double check to see that it's not branded with B0133!).

*Important edit: That was still under warranty!

Hi Martin, I think that commuting pattern makes you a great potential Leaf buyer. I have the QC port and very rarely use it, so that would not be a deal breaker for me, but definitely opens up a few routes you might otherwise not be able to make. I wouldn't pay more than $12k for a 2011, and would probably look for a 2012 for a little more (heated seats are important for some times of year in the northwest...) Let us know how it goes!

It looks like it might have lived down in San Jose according to the carfax so a bit milder than Chico. If you are serious I would spend the cash on a blue tooth adapter and take a look with leaf spy and see what it shows for health of the battery. It looks like it is down 1 bar already which is around 15%??? That summer heat is going to be hot, 6-7 bars territory for a long time even in a shaded garage. The less efficient heater shouldn't be a real issue up there as it doesn't get that cold. If you can charge at work it should be no problem. You may also want to see if it has the dreaded opt out code just in case. I agree the price is a bit steep but using leaf spy might give you more bargaining power.

P.S. Go Wildcats!

Chico Alumni here.

While Chico can get very hot in the summer, keep in mind that it also has a much cooler climate in late Fall through early Spring. November-March the average high in Chico is 55-66 degrees; compare that with Burbank, whose average high during that time frame goes no lower than 70 and as much as 76, but whose average summer temps are lower than that of Chico.

Chico's climate is quite similar to Sacramento's, and according to the Battery Aging Prediction model, Leaf batteries will do slightly better in Sacramento heat-wise than at the Los Angeles Civic Center. It predicted a Sacramento-bound Leaf having 82.2% remaining capacity at the end of 3 years and taking a bit over 6 years to reach 70% capacity.

Sounds over priced. You should be able to talk them down to 14k without too much trouble, or walk if they balk.

Things to keep in mind:

1) Check the tires after you agree on a price (make a point of checking just a couple more things before actually signing anything), and if the shoulders are bald talk them into either fresh tires, or a few hundred more off the price.

2) Use leaf spy to find out the actual status of the batteries life, check the SOH number (i.e. if it has just lost one bar, or is about to lose a second one). It is worth the $25 bucks for a bluetooth ODB II scanner and Leaf Spy as well as the hassle of checking it.

3) If you have a second ICE car in the house for long trips, don't worry about the quick charge (but feel free to use the lack of one as a negotiating point to save $$$). Mine quick charge port has never been used.

4) Get a carfax and get the status of the battery warranty so you aren't stuck holding the bag.

5) Read up on the gripes people had with the 2011 and 2012's vs the 2013 and later and make sure you are OK with those little warts. The function of the heater might be a real turn off, or maybe not. You might really want heated seats for example. Better to spend a couple extra grand to get a car you will be really happy with than one you end up kicking yourself for buying.

On the whole I am very happy with my used 2011, and only ended up kicking myself over a couple little things I would have done different in negotiating and inspecting.

For a regular 36 mile commute, a '11 LEAF will continue to work for many years to come without issue.

If you can get it for $13k or less, it may not be a bad deal, IMO, especially if you get free charging at work.

But as others have pointed out, a lease could be a great deal, as a 3 year lease on a LEAF S currently will cost you about $6,864 + tax/etc in California after the state rebate.

But since you live in Fresno, which is in the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District which also gets you another $3,000 from the air pollution control district: http://www.valleyair.org/grants/driveclean.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That knocks your price down to less than $4,000 for a 3 year lease. If you bought a new LEAF S, your cost would be under $13,000.

It's a no brainer to pick up a new vehicle over a used one if you live in the San Joaquin Valley.

If you get a great price, you can't go wrong here. With free charging at work, you aren't ever going to have range problems, at least in regards to your work commute.

For $13k (including both state and federal incentives) you could get a brand new Mitsubishi iMiEV that can handle the same commute for several years, and comes with a CHAdeMO port and several other standard options, so unless only the LEAF will work for you I'd say the iMiEV is a better deal. New 2014 MiEVs are available now; I saw one a couple of weeks ago here in the Bay Area. Or for about $15k you could get a new Smart ED, only 2 pax but 68 versus 62 miles EPA range.

RonDawg said:
The OP lives in Chico, in Butte County. SJVAPCD only covers as far north as San Joaquin County.
Holy moly - why did I think Fresno? Should have double checked. Still stands that if you live in San Joaquin County it's a no-brainer to get a LEAF!

Agreed on the iMiev and Smart. I think the ED is actually about $12k if you don't get the battery "rental" warranty. I drove an iMiev in a large parking lot and liked the interior, handling, etc. It's much slower than a Leaf but may be the better choice for a short low-speed commute.

Back