Soon to be another LEAF owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to introduce myself as i'll be spamming other forums to learn as much as I can :) :D

Seriously, we'll be picking up our first electric car within the week - the LEAFs are widely available in the Atlanta area, so I'm in the process of educating myself. Since I'm an engineer, I just have to know all about the charging stations. Right now, my wife has her Sequoia and I drive a Maxima. My commute is 10 miles one way, and she makes multiple taxi runs for school, kids getting to jobs, etc. With the Georgia tax credit of 5k plus the savings in gas, i'm looking to net positive $4,000 over the two year lease. If the first car works out, my 21 year old daughter has her eye on one of these as well.

So, off to the charging station forums....

10 mile commute? I bet you'll won't need anything more than the L1. If you want L2 the EVSE upgrade is probably your best bet.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=t2opbik699058ph9dsm50nru61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You only need http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find them. You may need to sign up for cards to operate stations, depending on what networks exist around Hotlanta.

Where in the Atlanta Area are you?

For Now a L1, or depending on where you are L2, But if you go the public charger route, you need to figure our what you are going to do for 2-3hr a each time you charge.

If/When you add a 2nd Leaf to your fleet, You probably should look at the L2 at home then.

cgilley said:
... If the first car works out, my 21 year old daughter has her eye on one of these as well...
I foresee several EVs in your future. You might be surprised that someday your wife will take your electric car from you as mine did. :p

cgilley said:
Wanted to introduce myself as i'll be spamming other forums to learn as much as I can :) :D

Seriously, we'll be picking up our first electric car within the week - the LEAFs are widely available in the Atlanta area, so I'm in the process of educating myself. Since I'm an engineer, I just have to know all about the charging stations. Right now, my wife has her Sequoia and I drive a Maxima. My commute is 10 miles one way, and she makes multiple taxi runs for school, kids getting to jobs, etc. With the Georgia tax credit of 5k plus the savings in gas, i'm looking to net positive $4,000 over the two year lease. If the first car works out, my 21 year old daughter has her eye on one of these as well.

So, off to the charging station forums....

Congrats. We also have a Sequoia for our other car and used it for dropping off kids, grocery runs, etc. It's very inefficient, especially when having to wait in school pick-up lines (kids are in two different schools) for over 30 minutes each day with the A/C running! Our operating costs per mile (gasoline only) went from about $0.23 to $0.27 (which translates to a drop in MPG from 16 to 13.5). The operating costs for the LEAF, on the other hand, are about $0.03 per mile in electricity. We did not experience a drop-off when using the LEAF for picking up the kids. So right there is a big savings.

Well, I'm up near the Lake Lanier, East of Cumming. I love my Maxima though, this car actually IS for the wife and as an experiment. I'm a little shocked at the insurance costs - nearly 95/month, but I guess that's what happens when you have a new car (I've not owned a brand new car in decades).

Amazingly, sitting in school lines, running kids too / from football practices, etc is exactly what's killing us at the moment, though she will never give up the Sequoia.

PlugShare.com (you can also get their app on your phone) is a great tool for public charging station locations. 99% of your charging will probably be at home, but it's nice to know what's around.

Back