DCQC a Necessity for Commute?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggrocragg

I am looking into purchasing either a 2013 Nissan Leaf SV or SL. My commute is 27 miles each way between Long Beach, CA and Irvine, CA down the I-405 (regular stop and go traffic). There is a free L2 charger (when available) at my office's parking structure, and I am planning on installing an L2 charger at home. We have a regular ICE car at home for longer trips. Since my annual mileage is around 15-17k, it seems that a lease would not be a financially feasible option, so this is why I am looking for a used Leaf. There are a good number of charging stations along my commute (L2 and DCQC). My regular schedule rarely varies from doing 55-60 miles per day. I am hoping to keep my costs as low as possible, but I am willing to pay extra for the DCQC if it is a necessity. For those of you who have a similar length daily commute, is the DCQC on the SL worth an extra $2k-$4k, or would it be worth it to save the money and go with the SV? Thank you for your help!

Aggrocragg said:
I am looking into purchasing either a 2013 Nissan Leaf SV or SL. My commute is 27 miles each way between Long Beach, CA and Irvine, CA down the I-405 (regular stop and go traffic). There is a free L2 charger (when available) at my office's parking structure, and I am planning on installing an L2 charger at home. We have a regular ICE car at home for longer trips. Since my annual mileage is around 15-17k, it seems that a lease would not be a financially feasible option, so this is why I am looking for a used Leaf. There are a good number of charging stations along my commute (L2 and DCQC). My regular schedule rarely varies from doing 55-60 miles per day. I am hoping to keep my costs as low as possible, but I am willing to pay extra for the DCQC if it is a necessity. For those of you who have a similar length daily commute, is the DCQC on the SL worth an extra $2k-$4k, or would it be worth it to save the money and go with the SV? Thank you for your help!
You should compare the lease for a 15K mileage deal to that of a used leaf. I think you will find that the lease comes out on top.

Aggrocragg said:
Thanks, DanCar! I have only seen 12k mile leases thus far. Do you use your DCQC very often?
No I don't, but comes in handy when I do. It is useful for trips that are longer than the range of the car. I don't have a second car, so it is either fast charging or renting.

You might want to hold off on the L2 charger at home. 110 volt might be enough plus the l2 charger at work. Depends how fast your drive and your tolerance for range anxiety. Although if you are or plan to be on time of use plan for electricity than the L2 charger at home makes more sense.

It sounds like you are going to save a lot money on gas, so saving on the quick charger isn't a big deal. In other words if you don't get it you might wish you had, because the car is a lot of fun. If you do get it you might wonder if you should have gone with out it.

Aggrocragg said:
... is the DCQC on the SL worth an extra $2k-$4k, or would it be worth it to save the money and go with the SV? ...
You want and need DCQC with an electric vehicle that's range is as short as the LEAF.

The distances you are talking about only work for the LEAF for the first year or two, and not even then in very cold weather if you like heat.
Based on 40 months / 22,000 miles of experience the LEAF is at best a 40 to 60 mile range vehicle, but in cold weather is a 30 to 35 mile range vehicle if you like heat.

For your stated use don't even consider buying a LEAF without DCQC :!: :!: :!:

Aggrocragg said:
I am looking into purchasing either a 2013 Nissan Leaf SV or SL. My commute is 27 miles each way between Long Beach, CA and Irvine, CA ... Since my annual mileage is around 15-17k, it seems that a lease would not be a financially feasible option, so this is why I am looking for a used Leaf. There are a good number of charging stations along my commute (L2 and DCQC). My regular schedule rarely varies from doing 55-60 miles per day. I am hoping to keep my costs as low as possible, but I am willing to pay extra for the DCQC if it is a necessity.

Since there are dozens of DC chargers (CHAdeMO) in SoCal for you to use, and the first time you would need one, it will surely be worth every penny. No, it's not a necessity, but neither is an electric car a necessity.

Your commute is not a slam dunk round trip. Freeways get detoured, storms happen, you might enjoy the heater, the battery loses capacity over time and in cold. Heat degrades the battery.

So, I recommend paying the extra few dollars to get a 15,000 mile lease on the basic LEAF with a DC charging port. Buying a used one will already have a partially degraded battery, and I doubt you'll save ANY money over a new lease.

When the car is new, it should be easy to get over 80 miles of range at 65mph steady speed (not average) down the freeway with a warm battery and no heater. After 45,000 miles on a three year lease, I suspect you'll have 20% reduction in range from degradation, which leaves you with about 60-ish miles of range in the same conditions.

When cold weather and a detour is needed in your degraded car, you'll truly appreciate having all the fastest charging options. In addition to the 20% degradation over the 45,000 miles, also expect an additional 10% degradation in freezing cold temperatures. Running the heater will also consume far more power than the relatively efficient air conditioner.

Note: Nissan LEAF cannot use the Tesla "Supercharger" stations or any of the "SAE - CCS - Combo1" stations used by GM Chevy Spark EV, BMW i3, and future VW eGolf.

TimLee said:
The distances you are talking about only work for the LEAF for the first year or two, and not even then in very cold weather if you like heat.
Based on 40 months / 22,000 miles of experience the LEAF is at best a 40 to 60 mile range vehicle, but in cold weather is a 30 to 35 mile range vehicle if you like heat.
2013 and later cars seem to have less of an issue with degradation. My March 2013 car still has 90 mile range.

You can usually negotiate any miles you want in a lease. Even if you go over the miles and turn it in you will be paying a set fee per mile (for example it's usually about 2 to 4 cents more to pay when you turn it in than pre pay the miles). That is a tiny cost compared to gas. Some times if you are over miles and you say to the dealer before trade in... "I'll lease a new one if I don't have to pay for etra miles or else I'll just buy it out" then they will waive the excess millage fees. If you pre pay for them and don't drive them then you lose them.

If charging at work - even L-1 - is assured, then you don't need QC. If there is the possibility of regularly being unable to charge at work, QC is a good idea. That's the short answer.

Aggrocragg said:
Is the DCQC on the SL worth an extra $2k-$4k, or would it be worth it to save the money and go with the SV? Thank you for your help!

Note that you don't have to step up to the SL to get QC as it was optional on the 2013+ SV models. You could save a bit of money if you can live without a leather interior, 17 inch rims, fog lamps, and auto-on headlights.

If you can make do without cruise control, nav system, and Bluetooth audio streaming (Bluetooth phone connection is included though), you can save even more with a Leaf S with QC package, but with your commute having the more efficient heat pump heater of the 2013+ SV or SL models would be beneficial.

I have a 21 mile commute and a used 2011 I just bought. I leave home with full-ish charge and can get to work and back with more than 10 miles left on the guess-o-meter.

The battery only has 9 bars left when I bought it, but even then I think I could do your commute without panic, then charge up at home. I charge to 100% though, not 80%. I set the end timer to about a half hour after I'm supposed to leave home in the morning so I get close to 100% charge.

Back