New owner here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete1burn

Hello all. Just signed papers on a 2012 Leaf SL with 15k miles for $15k. Backup camera, quick charge port etc. Just waiting on them to clean it up and install the SD card and I'll pick it up probably Wednesday. My work is also installing 14 chargepoint bays in my own parking garage so charging should be easy. It'll be running off an outdoor 120v for now, driving roughly 45m per day in my commute.

The forum has been a great source of information so far and I'm having fun browsing. Now the search for a proper iPhone app! I think Leaf Link is a winner.

Thanks to all for your informative posts so far.

Welcome Pete! That sounds like a very good deal... You'll be very happy with your Leaf, the last of the Japanese built Leafs, but including heated seats - nice! Hope you enjoy it as much as most of us do!

PS - where are you located?

Pete1burn said:
Hello all. Just signed papers on a 2012 Leaf SL with 15k miles for $15k. Backup camera, quick charge port etc. Just waiting on them to clean it up and install the SD card and I'll pick it up probably Wednesday. My work is also installing 14 chargepoint bays in my own parking garage so charging should be easy. It'll be running off an outdoor 120v for now, driving roughly 45m per day in my commute.

The forum has been a great source of information so far and I'm having fun browsing. Now the search for a proper iPhone app! I think Leaf Link is a winner.

Thanks to all for your informative posts so far.

I assume 45mi, not 45m, because that is more of a walk across the street than a commute. Is your 45mi on a highway? And one direction, so 90mi round trip requiring a charge at work to make it home? Just curious.

Hope you like your Leaf, I love mine!

Ha, yes 45 mi total. Around 22.4 miles each way. There are standard plugs at work and they are installing ChargePoints in October. At home I have an outside 120 outlet so I should be fine.

Missed that question. It is highway but usually bumper to bumper so lots of braking and slow driving with occasional bursts of speed. I'm assuming I'll be fine.

Pete1burn said:
Ha, yes 45 mi total. Around 22.4 miles each way. There are standard plugs at work and they are installing ChargePoints in October. At home I have an outside 120 outlet so I should be fine.

Note that the pre-2013 models, and the base Leaf "S", have a resistive-type heater which is notoriously power hungry. Winter driving itself will reduce range for other reasons (cold air is denser and harder to push through, increased rolling resistance due to snow/slush/standing water, cold battery won't hold as much charge). So while you should be fine right now, come your first New England winter you will definitely see considerably reduced range.

Do not be surprised if on a particularly cold day that you use up 50% or more of your battery, especially since you are buying used. Did you run a CarFax to see where this car was originally sold? Have you used something like LeafSpy to determine how much charge the battery will hold?

For these reasons, I highly recommend installing L2 charging at your home if you are able to. It will allow you to both charge and preheat the interior simultaneously (which will help reduce the drain on the battery); L1 does not provide enough energy to do both. Plus it is an insurance policy in case the L2's at work are broken, in use by others, or ICEd (blocked by non-plug-in vehicles). In winter, relying on L1 at both ends won't work as it will take too long to recharge the battery to make your commute.

That is a great point, and thanks.

The Carfax is clean, shows one owner, was a lease vehicle in Tennessee. The dealership is getting me a CVLI and the class action lawsuit info before I pick it up.

My brother in law is an electrician so I've asked him to take a look at the wiring in our rental home and see if I can get the landlord to approve a 240 outlet outside. The conduit and standing plug are already there, so I don't see a big issue. But yes, it certainly would be nice to heat up in the winter while plugged in.

A lot of people are saying L2 is pretty much necessary. It's just the cost of buying a new cable. I can't send out the only cable I have for the EVSE upgrade, and spending $650 for something like the Clipper Creek or Turbocord is kinda high for me, but I'll end up doing it I'm sure.

Pete1burn said:

Check out the LeafStat for the iPhone, offered by a fellow Leafer. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=16670&hilit=leafstat#p365429 I purchased the app as well as the recommended OBDII dongle. Not only have a better SOC reading, but also tire pressure.

As for the forum, just watch out for the trolls. As in any forum, we have a lot of them messing up the discussions.

Pete1burn said:
A lot of people are saying L2 is pretty much necessary. It's just the cost of buying a new cable. I can't send out the only cable I have for the EVSE upgrade, and spending $650 for something like the Clipper Creek or Turbocord is kinda high for me, but I'll end up doing it I'm sure.
There are lower cost L2's. OpenEVSE and Juicebox are viable options as well.

Ha, the salesman told me it could charge at 6.6 with the quick charge. I've been basing all of my EVSE research off of that...

So I apologize in advance because I'm sure this has been hashed out a million time, but can someone recommend a 220v 15amp evse? I've wasted like two weeks researching the 6.6 EVSEs. :evil:

Check this out, I think this article would be good and really verifies what I was going to say anyway. Get a 30 amp and you're good for today and tomorrow and it won't hurt a 2012 which just won't draw the full capability.

http://www.plugincars.com/quick-guide-buying-your-first-home-ev-charger-126875.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit - btw, I have a Schneider EVSE and have been very happy with it for 2 years

Pete1burn said:
Ha, the salesman told me it could charge at 6.6 with the quick charge. I've been basing all of my EVSE research off of that...

So I apologize in advance because I'm sure this has been hashed out a million time, but can someone recommend a 220v 15amp evse? I've wasted like two weeks researching the 6.6 EVSEs. :evil:
I have a 2015 Model S with the 3.3kW charger, and I purchased the Clipper Creek LCS-20 (link in signature), added a plug and hooked it up to a 30amp 240v circuit. It only requires a 20amp circuit, but I went with a 30 just because the cost difference was negligible. It works great!

Sounds good. I might end up doing that, or something like it. I suppose it makes sense to stick with a 30a EVSE in case I get an electric car in the future that requires it.

Although I am eyeing this very closely, as posted in another subforum here.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Generation-2-5-Enhanced-Model-Indoor-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230WS/203670265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$499 for a 240v 30a EVSE. Says indoors only though, as mine would have to go outside. Could I put it in a waterproof installation box outdoors?

Is there any way you can mount it inside, and just run the cable to the outside when charging? I have the Schneider unit also, and it works great for 499! I paid $700. :(
Also, what's that about the SD card? If your Nav SD card is missing, that's a major issue. You can't just run down to Walmart. Hopefully your dealer is already aware you can't swap it from another Leaf, or copy another SD card.

No, there really is no way to run out from the basement. The side of the house that the driveway is on is surrounded by cement.

And now they're saying the disk is corrupt or something like that. 7-10 business days... :evil:

Back