2015 Model Battery Charging Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdbrusco

Hi, I just bought a 2015 S model with quick charge package, it was too cheap with all the rebates in CA to pass up. I have a couple questions pertaining to the battery and charging.

(1) I noticed that the 2014/15 models don't have an 80% charge mode. Do you think charging to 100% is still a concern or have they improved this aspect of the battery. From what I read, a reading of 100% charge doesn't actually mean that it is in fact that full, as Nissan leaves some room in the battery to keep it from being at its limits. I try to set my timer so that it is at roughly 90% when I leave for work since I don't need the full range. This is a bit tough to do since the S model's timer is a bit cumbersome. Should I even bother with this? Will it really make much of a difference?

(2) How long can I leave it at 100% charge and have it not damage the battery? When I set the timer in the morning, even if it gets to 100% it isn't at there for more than maybe an hour max since I set it to finish right when I leave for work, but my wife has chargers at her job and usually just plugs in when she gets there in the morning. As a result, the leaf usually sits at 100% charge from about 11:00AM-5:00PM. Should this be a concern for me?

(3) We installed a Bosch Level 2 charger at our house (used the existing 220v dryer circuit, which is connected to two 20AMP breakers) and I notice that it charges really quickly with this. When the dash indicates that it needs 2.5 hours at 6kwh, the car is usually charged in 1.5 hours. I know that the estimates for a full charge on a level 2 charger is 3-4 hours, so I suppose that my actual charge times are in line with that, so I'm wondering if the estimates on the dash are much more conservative than reality or if my charger is somehow providing more amperage to the batter than it should? My guess would be that the onboard 6kwh charger in my model will limit the amount of power coming to the battery through that source.

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan

1) The 80% mode was eliminated because Nissan wanted to make the EPA range estimate look higher and this was a way to scam the system... It is still a bad idea to constantly charge to 100% and leave it there for any period of time.
3) The consensus of opinion is that the software assumes the Japanese of voltage of 100 and 200, and thus over estimates the amount of timed to charge in the U.S. where it is 120 and 240...

tkdbrusco said:
Hi, I just bought a 2015 S model with quick charge package, it was too cheap with all the rebates in CA to pass up. I have a couple questions pertaining to the battery and charging.

(1) I noticed that the 2014/15 models don't have an 80% charge mode. Do you think charging to 100% is still a concern or have they improved this aspect of the battery. From what I read, a reading of 100% charge doesn't actually mean that it is in fact that full, as Nissan leaves some room in the battery to keep it from being at its limits. I try to set my timer so that it is at roughly 90% when I leave for work since I don't need the full range. This is a bit tough to do since the S model's timer is a bit cumbersome. Should I even bother with this? Will it really make much of a difference?

(2) How long can I leave it at 100% charge and have it not damage the battery? When I set the timer in the morning, even if it gets to 100% it isn't at there for more than maybe an hour max since I set it to finish right when I leave for work, but my wife has chargers at her job and usually just plugs in when she gets there in the morning. As a result, the leaf usually sits at 100% charge from about 11:00AM-5:00PM. Should this be a concern for me?

(3) We installed a Bosch Level 2 charger at our house (used the existing 220v dryer circuit, which is connected to two 20AMP breakers) and I notice that it charges really quickly with this. When the dash indicates that it needs 2.5 hours at 6kwh, the car is usually charged in 1.5 hours. I know that the estimates for a full charge on a level 2 charger is 3-4 hours, so I suppose that my actual charge times are in line with that, so I'm wondering if the estimates on the dash are much more conservative than reality or if my charger is somehow providing more amperage to the batter than it should? My guess would be that the onboard 6kwh charger in my model will limit the amount of power coming to the battery through that source.

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan

Back