Maintenance Package for $699 for 3 year lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilesh26

Hello Everyone,

I just leased Nissan Leaf. At dealer, they strongly recommended that I get $699 maintenance package and told me that once I decline, in order to be compliant for lease, at the very least, I have to do the battery diagnostic check every year. They said that it can easily coast $300 for each time.

They said that with the maintenance package, I get the tire rotation + the diagnostic checks and it also covers for rental/loaner.

Is the diagnostic check really required to be compliant with lease? I read on some other place that for first two years, the diagnostic check is covered by Nissan for free. If that is the case, then I only need to do that one more time before the end of the lease, or may be I don't even need the third check as I will be ready to give my car back.

If that is the case, then I don't think that 3 tire rotation is worth $699.

Can someone confirm and point me to Nissan website or manual where it says that the first two diagnostic checks are covered?

ilesh26 said:
Is the diagnostic check really required to be compliant with lease?
Can someone confirm and point me to Nissan website or manual where it says that the first two diagnostic checks are covered?
Annual battery "test" is required. It is not a diagnostic, is primarily data collection for Nissan although it will chide the LEAF driver if they are doing undesirable things to the battery.
First two are free. After that is about $55 or less if you go to the right dealer.
You also need to do the brake fluid flush at two year point. About $110.
Most dealers do the comprehensive inspection at no cost.
You want to be sure they check the 12V battery capacity. Not all do this. Have been a lot of failures. It is covered for no cost replacement under the three year / 36,000 mile warranty.

$699 maintenance contract is a bad idea. Paying more than three times too much with a LEAF and with most other new cars.

I agree too much. Even the loaner/rental is misleading as I do believe it is already included if you have warranty work done on the Leaf and I sure don't expect they would honor it for something as simple as battery test or tire rotation....

ilesh26 said:
Hello Everyone,

I just leased Nissan Leaf. At dealer, they strongly recommended that I get $699 maintenance package and told me that once I decline, in order to be compliant for lease, at the very least, I have to do the battery diagnostic check every year. They said that it can easily coast $300 for each time.

Totally dishonest. If you can, go to another dealer for what little service you'll need. Youre not àlone. You'll find plenty of threads in this forum along similar lines.

I spent ZERO dollars on maintenance on my 2 year lease that I returned earlier this year (if you discount the two tires I replaced). The battery checkup is free for the first year (and possibly for the 2nd year too I dont know).

I went to the dealer after 12 months did the free battery checkup and they threw in a few tire rotation also. And then returned the car before it hit 24 months and so I never did the 2nd battery check.

ilesh26 said:
Hello Everyone,

They said that with the maintenance package, I get the tire rotation + the diagnostic checks and it also covers for rental/loaner.

Is the diagnostic check really required to be compliant with lease? I read on some other place that for first two years, the diagnostic check is covered by Nissan for free. If that is the case, then I only need to do that one more time before the end of the lease, or may be I don't even need the third check as I will be ready to give my car back.

If that is the case, then I don't think that 3 tire rotation is worth $699.

they are full of nonsense. the first service is free! do not fall for these high pressure tactics, in fact I wouldn't even lease the car from them, they are crooks

I would never again set foot in a dealership that lied to me that badly!

ilesh26 said:

You've already received your answer (the 'maintenance agreement is completely un-necessary'), but I am so shocked that a dealer would propose such a thing for a Leaf (let alone a LEASED Leaf), would make me want avoid that dealer. Even my THIRD annual battery check was free/no-charge at my dealer; one of the great things about the Leaf is how little maintenance is actually required (other than tires).

Thank you very much everyone. This forum is fantastic. This made my day to see there are so many people willing to provide guidance. You guys saved few hundred dollars for me today. THANKS. :D :D :D :D :D

smkettner said:
First three years should cost zip, zero, nada, nil, nothing for maintenance.
If you maintain the warranty maintenance requirements on a three year lease you will have to pay for the brake fluid flush.

Too many dealers - for almost all brands - are like that. I'd drop a quarter in the guy's pocket and tell him (or her) "This should do it. See you again never."

I'm going to extend my lease, so I guess I'll be looking at the brake fluid change as well, next year. Given the quality of the work I've had so far, I may use an independent shop.

TimLee said:
smkettner said:
First three years should cost zip, zero, nada, nil, nothing for maintenance.
If you maintain the warranty maintenance requirements on a three year lease you will have to pay for the brake fluid flush.
I am waiting for the first lease return that is charged for not performing this fluid change.

is the break fluid change even necessary?I have many cars,Never have just changed the break fluid as maintenance at 2, 3, or even 5 years,

epic said:
is the break fluid change even necessary?I have many cars,Never have just changed the break fluid as maintenance at 2, 3, or even 5 years,

The brake fluid change is only necessary if there's water contamination in the fluid. Water increases the boiling point. It can also corrode the internal components of the brake system. Both of these things can lead to decreased brake performance. Testing for water is done by measuring the boiling point of the fluid. Testing for corrosion (which would also imply presence of water) is done with copper testing strips.

If you don't have access to the strips or testers but still want to play it safe, 3 to 5 years is not an unreasonable time frame to get your brake fluid flushed.

Ford did its own study a few years ago and determined that the amount of contamination in its tests was so low that it did not warrant a scheduled maintenance recommendation.

Nissan did its own study and determined the dealer service profits on the LEAF were so low that it warranted a ridiculous 1-2 year brake fluid replacement schedule, to try to make up for the oil changes (and other ICE maintenance) that doesn't happen on the LEAF.

Back