Do I need the 6.6 kW Charger or can I get away with Base S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debonya1

Ah - decisions, decisions. I need some guidance. I'm a newbie - no doubt about it. Here's my story - I live in Atlanta and have a 30 mile commute to work about 3-4 days each week. The building is equipped with a Level 2 charger. I get in early, so I can plug in and be recharged after lunch. I only have a trickle charge at home - so each night I'd plug back in. I also would run around town after work and/or during the weekends - maybe 10 miles tops.

One caveat - Sometimes I need to travel downtown which is about 40 miles - I wouldn't have access to a charging station, so I'd be forced to find a station, I guess. Unless I could get there and back on one charge. I think I'm answering my own question here.

Regardless - I'm trying to see if I could get away with the base version. The other option is to find a 2014 model and purchase. I'd actually prefer to do this, but I'm afraid to do so based on the car being a technology car. Replacement battery, increased range and future enhancements would be the reasons I would not.

I wanted to provide my story and receive some input from some savvy Leaf owners. Any feedback is appreciated on the Base S/Base S w/QC and purchase/lease. Thanks!

You'll have to decide if the extra convenience and charging speed are worth it to pay for that 6.6kW / DC FC option...

The 2015 is supposed to have a better battery in terms of heat degradation, so that is what I'd want if I was purchasing or leasing now (especially in Atlanta)...

As far as the charging option goes, I think it boils down to this...

With the standard charging, you'll be able to add about 12 miles for every hour of charging with Level 2. Level 1 is about 4-5 miles for every hour of charging.

If you upgrade, then you'll be able to add about 22 miles per hour of charging on Level 2, and you'll be able to use the DC Fast charge network around town (20-80% in about 20 or 25 minutes. Level 1 speed would stay the same...

I would do the upgrade it if were me...It is convenient to have the faster charging, especially when you're away from home...

Everyone's situation is different but I wouldn't recommend getting a LEAF without the 6.6kW charger. Cutting L2 charging time in half frequently makes the critical difference in the ability to use the car. Also keep in mind that regardless of lease vs. purchase, eventually that car will likely be resold. Would not be surprised to find that 2-3 years from now that the slower L2 and/or lack of a L3-QC port becomes a significant resale problem. Trying to economize by cutting corners on charging options on an electric car is not a good idea.

Go for the S + QC (with the 6.6package).

Also good luck finding a S without the QC in it.

I had same choices. Have charger @ work, and Its shared, so need to get in charged get off it. (Well thats the plan.) the 6.6 Converter makes it a few hour thing.

Right now there are 3 EV's and two chargers @ works (Two of us work days, 1 night) But as other start to get EV's we figure we can get 3 or 4 cars x 2 charges So 6-8 cars a (day shift) thru the chargers. But if someone has a 3.3 that would be there all day.

Also you might be able to skip the Charge @ home, and do full charges @ work, saving money (If work is free). There are a number of charger in the city, there are a bunch @ Atlantic station. If you have not added the PlugShare app to your phone, do so. Also get a ChargePoint & Blink Cards.

If you go on a short trip, the L3 and 6.6L2 will determine if you can go of have to take the Gas car. Also re-sale, is a good thing to think about.

Your situation is similar to mine. The Leaf is more than enough for my weekday commute, and I occasionally drive downtown after work or on weekends. My advice:
- You should seriously consider installing an L2 EVSE at home. Use some of the money you'll be saving and take control of your car's charging. Workplace charging shouldn't be your main/only source. Just my opinion; not everybody agrees.
- I would go for the charger upgrade package. Find out if the EVSE at work can take advantage of the upgraded charger. The QC/DC option will come handy when you go downtown. I use the QC/DC at Atlantic Station. Very busy at times, but very well managed. You may have to wait a while at peak hours, but after that you'll be recharged in 15 minutes.
Good luck!

Also live in Atlanta. There is no scenario possible where not having QC makes any sense. Why would anyone consider waiting 2-3 even 4 hours to charge when you can do it in less than 30 minutes? Without QC, doing Atlanta speeds burn up charge like crazy. With the future capabilities to extend out of metro Atlanta (you can do Clayton and Chattanooga now), having a QC is definitely an investment in happiness. It has been less than a year since we got the first QC unit in Atlanta. I think we are at 18 in less than a year and we could hit 100 chargers in 2-3 years. Join the EV Club of the South and learn what's going on in our region. Welcome to a gas free world!

I would put 6.6kW charger above the QC. For convenience mainly but if money's the deciding factor: charging twice faster will save you money when using many public stations. They bill by the time spent plugged in, not by the actual energy. If I had it I'd be saving $500/year.

You guys rock! I really appreciate your insight. Along with Plugshare and Chargepoint, is there any good apps you use? Also - I assume it doesn't make sense to purchase?

Definately get the QC package. I believe it should be standard on all Leafs.

Everyone who's already posted makes great points - I would only add that as the car ages and the battery degrades, the QC package will become more valuable.

ericsf said:
I would put 6.6kW charger above the QC. For convenience mainly but if money's the deciding factor: charging twice faster will save you money when using many public stations. They bill by the time spent plugged in, not by the actual energy. If I had it I'd be saving $500/year.

Agree, lev2 at home has made my life so easy.

ericsf said:
Re: the bolded part, that's not true of all stations.

Some DO bill by kWh dispensed. Some do it both by time and energy.

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/9498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is one of several examples charging $0.49/kWh, a pretty terrible rate.

If you go to https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look up Chargepoint's HQ in Campbell, CA, for instance "CHARGEPOINT HQ22" charges $0.30/hr for station parking AND $0.15/kWh.

Slam dunk on the daily commute. Probably no need to charge at home.

The 80 miles will be tough. If you had convenient charging fine but if you are waiting for a few miles to get home you really will want the 6kW charging.
And again if you can find charging you may only need 1 or 2 hours..... vs 30 to 60 minutes.
On a fair day and expert (slow) driving you may well just make the 80 miles for the first year or two.

There is no scenario possible where not having QC makes any sense. Why would anyone consider waiting 2-3 even 4 hours to charge when you can do it in less than 30 minutes? Without QC, doing Atlanta speeds burn up charge like crazy.

I'd be concerned about battery heating, mainly in Summer. If I owned the car, I would definitely use QC only when really needed in warm weather.

1. Lease
2. Staring at the Plugshare map around Atlanta, DCQC in Atlanta, Decatur, Union, Marietta, Chamblee and Duluth might make the decision to go 6.6 easier. Given that I have a 2012 so max is 3.3 I have rarely been in a situation where the 6.6 would be nice but when those situations have been around having the 6.6 would REALLY have been nice.

Back