Can my possible new (used) Leaf make my 40 mile commute?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyelectric

I am about to buy a 2011 Nissan Leaf with about 27K miles. I have a commute of 40 miles to work each day - one way. Am I crazy to think that the Nissan can handle this range?

happyelectric said:
I am about to buy a 2011 Nissan Leaf with about 27K miles. I have a commute of 40 miles to work each day - one way. Am I crazy to think that the Nissan can handle this range?
Can you charge at work all day before returning home? How many bars are left (battery condition)? What is your climate? Will you have access to a L2 charger?

Updating you profile will help others with your questions.

If it's 40 miles each way, you will definitely need charging at work.

It might be possible to do it without, but you won't be able to drive freeway speeds, and you'll get a lot of LBWs. (low battery warning). There's also a high chance you fall short.

Very doubtful. An 80 mile commute is tough for a NEW Leaf, but a 2011 is going to have significantly degraded capacity. Unless your commute is 25-35 mph the whole way, or you have RELIABLE, GUARANTEED charging available at work, the Leaf is the wrong car for you. Get a Prius.

happyelectric said:
Why a used Leaf. You can lease a new one, and with the rebates, not pay that much more than you are for the used one with questional battery condition.

Please update your profile to show where you are, type of commute you expect, charging availability at work, etc. The more info you give us the better the advice we can give back.

Hello

I am also considering buying a Nissan Leaf, an ex-demo 2013 model with 10,000 miles on it.

My daily commute is around 50 miles return - with a mix of 30mph/40mph/and 60mph zones. Do you experienced users think this car would be suitable to my needs? I am a single woman with no children and it would be my only car. I do not doa lot of driving aside from my commute to work every day - the low running costs are attractive to me since I pay about £200 a month on petrol at the moment!

Thanks for your time

Rjmm82

rjmm82 said:
Hello

I am also considering buying a Nissan Leaf, an ex-demo 2013 model with 10,000 miles on it.

My daily commute is around 50 miles return - with a mix of 30mph/40mph/and 60mph zones. Do you experienced users think this car would be suitable to my needs? I am a single woman with no children and it would be my only car. I do not do a lot of driving aside from my commute to work every day - the low running costs are attractive to me since I pay about £200 a month on petrol at the moment!

Thanks for your time

Rjmm82

That commute is doable, mainly because of the mixed speeds. It's similar, I think, to the one I had before I retired: 43 miles round trip, with everything from 30MPH to 60MPH zones. I only worried in frigid weather (and I lowered the heat to 68) but I never fell short. On the other hand, once you lose capacity, you will have to take more substantial measures in frigid weather to extend range, if you get it. Take that into account. Make sure that car has a full 12 capacity bars, and if at all possible get it checked with one of the aftermarket apps that shows actual capacity. Buying a new 11 bar leaf isn't a great idea. I wonder if leasing at a reduced payment could be an option...?

rjmm82 said:
... Do you experienced users think this car would be suitable to my needs? ...
Where are you located? How much are you going to pay? Have you compared the cost to excellent leasing offers? Like LeftieBiker said, that should work for you assuming the car hasn't lost significant capacity and you don't live with extreme weather.

Graffi said:
happyelectric said:
Why a used Leaf. You can lease a new one, and with the rebates, not pay that much more than you are for the used one with questionable battery condition.

maybe because at the end of a lease you don't own anything but at the end of a few years with a used leaf you can pay $6000 to put a new battery in it and have a like new car?! Maybe because if the commute is short enough you can keep it more than a few years and not even bother replacing the battery?!

Sorry those of us that aren't insanely rich and don't live in a state with large EV rebates have to think about the total cost of ownership. Leasing just isn't going to happen for most of us in fly over country.

happyelectric said:
without l2 charging at home and the ability to charge while at work you will not be able to make your commute

maybe because at the end of a lease you don't own anything but at the end of a few years with a used leaf you can pay $6000 to put a new battery in it and have a like new car?! Maybe because if the commute is short enough you can keep it more than a few years and not even bother replacing the battery?!

Sorry those of us that aren't insanely rich and don't live in a state with large EV rebates have to think about the total cost of ownership. Leasing just isn't going to happen for most of us in fly over country.

I used to think that about leasing, but consider this: if you get a decent lease deal, and then buy the car for the residual value at lease's end, you can end up paying exactly what it would have cost to buy it new, with financing - no extra cost. So what's the difference? With the lease you get the full 2-3 years to decide whether or not you really want to own that car, or if you would be better off buying or leasing a Gen III Leaf, or another vehicle entirely. If you ask people here who bought the first Leafs, instead of leasing them, if they made the right choice, about half of them will say "no", by my estimate.

From what I read on here the Residual Value is too high for most and they dont end up buying it. Is there a poll for this? There should be. Yes and No and reply in the topic to say year, mileage, bars lost and what they gave you for value.

LeftieBiker said:

I used to think that about leasing, but consider this: if you get a decent lease deal, and then buy the car for the residual value at lease's end, you can end up paying exactly what it would have cost to buy it new, with financing - no extra cost. So what's the difference? With the lease you get the full 2-3 years to decide whether or not you really want to own that car, or if you would be better off buying or leasing a Gen III Leaf, or another vehicle entirely. If you ask people here who bought the first Leafs, instead of leasing them, if they made the right choice, about half of them will say "no", by my estimate.

The answer to the Residual Question is "no" AND "yes". You can get a better deal price-wise in the private market, but when you consider that you "bought" and maintained the car yourself, it can be more like a "certified pre-owned car" - certified by you. If you took care of it and didn't smoke, drink or carry dogs in it, you know it's a premium value used Leaf. So if price is your primary concern, the residual is too high. If you factor in the above, then a Leaf bought off-lease can be a very good deal. And again, when you compare this to buying the car new, well, many many people wish they hadn't, because of that huge devaluation that can make a used Leaf a good deal, ironically. This is the option that gives you years to decide.

Everyone forgets about getting dinged for damages when you return the car at the end of lease. Get ready to pay a few hundred for every little scratch and ding. You can end up paying more than expected. If you own dogs, have kids, smoke or park on the street in busy urban areas the lease may be surprisingly expensive.

Mrelectric said:
Everyone forgets about getting dinged for damages when you return the car at the end of lease. Get ready to pay a few hundred for every little scratch and ding. You can end up paying more than expected. If you own dogs, have kids, smoke or park on the street in busy urban areas the lease may be surprisingly expensive.
that's not an accurate statement, I have been leasing cars for 30 years and I have never been hit with ANY damage fees

visit this site and learn EXACTLY what Nissan will and will not charge you for when the lease terminates
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/EndOfLease/Wear_and_Use_Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

happyelectric said:

i think you are crazy if you think we can give you a reliable answer with the nearly nothing of info you have given us.

check other posts for info that we need

LeftieBiker said:

which goes back to my post in another thread about the residual value

dhanson865 said:
pawneepawn said:
The difference is I pay $4457 more to own the leaf at the end of 3 years. Is it still a good idea to lease?

If that is the difference on a brand new car I'd buy because the car would be worth more than $4500 even if you wanted to sell it at the end of year 3.

Right now a 2011/2012 that is coming off lease is worth more than $10,000

The only way I see the lease making sense is if you think you'll drive it / store it hot killing the battery and then refuse to let Nissan replace it under warranty and still want to get rid of the car.

Scenario A. you hit the 4 bars lost and Nissan replaces the battery before year 3 is up you have a car near the end of that period that is like new and you came out better buying than leasing. You get to decide if you want to Sell it or keep it with less pressure on timing (you know your degradation rate but you don't have to deal with lease termination).

Scenario B. you don't hit 4 bars lost and the car is still worth $6,000 to $12,000 depending on condition and you came out better buying than leasing. You get to decide if you want to Sell it or keep it with no pressure on timing.

Scenario C. You lease it and turn it back in even though it's worth more than the difference in pricing because the residual value on the lease contractually keeps you from reaping the value of the car at end of lease.

The bet on leasing is that scenario B somehow leaves you with a 3 bar loser at the end of 3 years that won't sell for more than $4,500, I just don't see that happening. Too many traditional gasoline vehicles on the road that need to be replaced, tons of fresh converts that would be willing to buy a cheap EV down the road.

The range limited leaf is better than most beaters because it has

* no oil change, spark plug, brake job, antifreeze/traditional radiator issues
* working AC
* cabin air filter
* heated seats

probably more that I missed. Lots of reasons why it is a better car than so many 10-15 year old gas beaters, someone will consider an old Leaf a luxury car vs the beater they currently hate maintaining all the time.

how is the residual vs the sub $10,000 Leafs we are starting to see on the used car market? And how is the total cost of the lease vs total cost of the buy?

Back to the original question: I don't see any problem driving 40 miles in a used LEAF. Then charge while at work. And drive back home. Piece of cake. 40 miles is HALF the expected range of a new one. Once a battery is so degraded that the car can't go 40 miles I'd venture to say it's time to replace the battery.

happyelectric said:

It can handle it no problem as long as you can charge at work. Even trickle charge will do it.

Back