auto Door lock disable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanNut

I picked up a used 2011 SV model and the doors lock once you start moving, My wife and I hate this feature. How do I remove it?

Dont see anything in owners manual about it. I have never seen this feature on my other Nissans luckily.

I did see a reset features to default in menu. But I did not want to loose anything my Wife has already setup.

Thanks,

I believe you need the leaf spy app and an OCBD connector (bluetooth seems to work well). The Leaf app gives you access to change a lot of features through settings.

NissanNut said:
I picked up a used 2011 SV model and the doors lock once you start moving, My wife and I hate this feature. How do I remove it?
Thanks,

My wife refuses to even ride in a car without the doors locked. You must live in a different part of the metroplex than we do.

I believe you can be DISABLE auto-lock without going to the dealer (there's a button hold/lock sequence in the user's manual); you need the dealer (using CONSULT) when you want to CHANGE the behavior of how/when they lock (I have mine lock when you put it into 'gear').

I have been trying this procedure in owners manual:

All doors lock automatically when the vehicle
speed reaches 15 MPH (24 km/h).
All doors unlock automatically when the
power switch is placed in the OFF position.
The automatic unlock function can be
deactivated or activated.
To deactivate or activate the automatic door
unlock system, perform the following procedure.
1. Close all doors.
2. Place the power switch in the ON position.
3. Within 20 seconds of performing step 2.
. Push and hold the power door lock
switch to the “UNLOCK”
position
for more than 5 seconds.

When activated, the hazard warning lights
will flash twice. When deactivated, the
hazard warning lights will flash once.
WARNING
5. The power switch must be placed in the
OFF and ON position again between each
setting change.
When the automatic door unlock system is
deactivated, the doors do not unlock when the
power is placed in the OFF position. To unlock
the door manually, use the inside lock knob or
the power door lock switch (driver’s or front
passenger’s side).

I must be doing it wrong because at 15mph all the doors lock! :twisted:

I have tried on and start position. Anyone successfully disable this feature?

garymelora said:
I am just curious why you want to disable this. Personally, I do not find it that inconvenient to unlock the door before jumping out of a moving car.

We are using it to take kids (now teenagers) to and from. Its just an annoying feature.

billg said:
NissanNut said:
Thanks,

My wife refuses to even ride in a car without the doors locked. You must live in a different part of the metroplex than we do.

My wife likes to lock the doors also. But the auto door lock is annoying.

Houdini said:
I believe you need the leaf spy app and an OCBD connector (bluetooth seems to work well). The Leaf app gives you access to change a lot of features through settings.

I installed spy lite on my droid. I dont see anything in there about the locks. Thanks anyway, I like the tire pressure monitor.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
mctom987 said:
You need Leaf Spy Pro to do that.

How exactly? Have Pro but don't see that option or any to change options for the car itself, just the app.

bkOi0SMZOWvAhtqCQio82So--em1zYtdp0DHN1gwU_xmwp-rn7ZRx0l-t5ZJHI5XuHXB=h900

Thats awesome. I have tried 10 times to change via the unlock button. I get the hazards to flash once or twice each other time. But it does not work.

I think I will just order the app and adapter.

NissanNut said:
Thats awesome. I have tried 10 times to change via the unlock button. I get the hazards to flash once or twice each other time. But it does not work.

I think I will just order the app and adapter.

The instructions you pasted from the manual say that you can disable the auto unlock. They don't say anything about disabling auto lock.

billg said:
The instructions you pasted from the manual say that you can disable the auto unlock. They don't say anything about disabling auto lock.
FWIW, my recollection is that you can disable the auto lock the same way, just using the LOCK button instead of the UNLOCK button in the procedure.

Cheers, Wayne

HMM I don't have that screen and have one fewer "dots" than your screenshot. Old version? I have auto update turned on by default though...

Incidentally the 5 second hold thing works perfectly for me so just curiosity.

Edit: found it. There is a option in settings to allow service screens. I had that unchecked. Hope that helps anybody else who may have the same issue.

Greetings -

I just wanted to confirm that this CAN be done without anything special. No extra OBD2 connector or fancy aftermarket product. No trip to the dealer. From the comfort of your garage, you can disable/enable both auto LOCK and auto UNLOCK independently.

I believe this is the default action:

1. All doors lock automatically when the vehicle speed reaches 15 MPH (24 km/h).
2. All doors unlock automatically when the power switch is placed in the OFF position.

And the solution is here (mentioned earlier in the thread, but slightly modified here to be inclusive of both systems)

To deactivate or activate the automatic door lock or unlock system, perform the following procedure.

1. Close all doors (get in the car first, please)
2. Place the power switch in the ON position. Either Ig-on, or running is fine
3. Within 20 seconds of powering on (I waited until the screen booted), push and hold the power door lock switch on the door to the “UNLOCK” position for more than 5 seconds if you wish to modify the auto unlock system. Push and hold the power door lock switch in the door to the "LOCK" position for more than 4 seconds if you wish to modify the auto lock system.

When the hazards flash once, you have turned the selected system off. When they flash twice, you have turned the selected system on. If for some reason you'd like to switch the system from on-off-on, or off-on-off, then you'll have to cycle the power switch between playing with the lock switch. In other words, turn the car off between settings and start over from step one.

It works. At least on my 2011. Yay!

Oh, and for those who just cannot imagine why somebody would not want the auto lock to happen, please understand that we all have different situations. Some of us just don't drive where we need or desire the doors to be locked while we drive. And this is not a case of "unlocking the doors while moving." Short trips where the passengers are hopping in an out *while stopped* make the auto lock thing REALLY annoying. Plus, when we park the car in the garage, the passenger needs to exit the vehicle first (or cannot open the door to get out). And we don't turn the car off to let a passenger out - we just use the brake pedal because... well, we're about to move the car again. So I stop, my wife tires the door, finds it locked, then fumbles, swearing, for that unlock switch in the dark. Not great. And we do this regularly (yes, you'd think we'd learn, but just like the dang Carwings OK button, let's just say this is less than ideal). I'd rather have the car work for me, instead of the other way around. So NOT having it lock in the first place, but keeping the auto unlock feature enabled for when we do lock the doors, is the great answer for us.

Thanks for the reply. I did but the obdII adapter, but not messed with it yet. I agree the Owners Manual details that it can be done. I just can not get it to go.I do get the flashers to flash once or twice, neither way stops the doors from locking. They never unlock when powered off.

I rewrote what you said so I can try again, and printed it and just tried it. I will have to test drive it later.

To deactivate or activate the automatic door lock or unlock system, perform the following procedure.

1. Close all doors (get in the car first, please)

2. Press power switch twice to get to ON position. dont press brake.

3. Within 20 seconds of powering on (I waited until the screen booted),

for self locking:
push and hold the power door lock switch on the door to the “UNLOCK” position for more than 5 seconds
When they flash twice, you have turned on.

for no self locking:
Push and hold the power door lock switch in the door to the "LOCK" position for more than 4 seconds.
When the hazards flash once, you have turned off.

If for some reason you'd like to switch the system from on-off-on, or off-on-off, then you'll have to cycle the power switch between playing with the lock switch. In other words, turn the car off between settings and start over from step one.

I agree, we mostly run lots of errands and drop off and pick kids and groceries. 6000miles in 6 months. My wife's work communte is 2 miles round trip. :lol: So we use the Leaf more than the Altima and Armada now.

Back