Should I buy 2012 Leaf SV for $16,188, today? Battery Check?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonestar49

I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 Ocean Blue Leaf SV (wht interior) for $16,188 (25,524 miles) in SoCal (los angeles)? It has the solar panel on the roof. I'm buying it from a Volvo dealer. So it's not Certified. How do I check battery degradation? What should I know that I don't know about the purchase and ownership of this model, yr and trim.

I check my house and my sockets of the kitchen and driveway are grounded. The ones in my garage are not. Is it a big deal to ground the garage socket. The kitchen will work fine the way our driveway to kitchen is situated. But will that put a strain on the wiring in the kitchen or be factor in my electric bill?

I can't give advice about the price of the car, but definitely have the battery checked out using something like Leaf Spy.

Another recommendation: ask the Volvo dealer if you can have the car checked out by a Leaf-certified Nissan dealer at your expense. The biggest reason for this is the battery health check, to make sure the battery has not been abused. The battery check (should be under $100) will also let you know if the car has been flagged in Nissan's computers as being ineligible for the 5 year/60k mile battery capacity warranty.

A few members here found out that because they opted out of the settlement in the Klee case, Nissan branded their cars with a "B0188" (I think) code, invalidating them for the warranty. A big concern is that there are used Leafs out there that may have been branded, and will continue to hold that brand even after its original owner or lessee got rid of it.

The biggest recommendation of all is to have an electrician inspect your home wiring before buying this car, or any EV. The fact that your garage outlets are ungrounded (which means the "trickle charge" EVSE that should come with the car won't work) tells me your wiring is quite old. Many folks have gotten nasty surprises when they plugged their EVs in to find melted outlets and even FIRE due to the poor condition of their wiring.

RonDawg said:
I can't give advice about the price of the car, but definitely have the battery checked out using something like Leaf Spy.

Another recommendation: ask the Volvo dealer if you can have the car checked out by a Leaf-certified Nissan dealer at your expense. The biggest reason for this is the battery health check, to make sure the battery has not been abused. The battery check (should be under $100) will also let you know if the car has been flagged in Nissan's computers as being ineligible for the 5 year/60k mile battery capacity warranty.

A few members here found out that because they opted out of the settlement in the Klee case, Nissan branded their cars with a "B0188" (I think) code, invalidating them for the warranty. A big concern is that there are used Leafs out there that may have been branded, and will continue to hold that brand even after its original owner or lessee got rid of it.

The biggest recommendation of all is to have an electrician inspect your home wiring before buying this car, or any EV. The fact that your garage outlets are ungrounded (which means the "trickle charge" EVSE that should come with the car won't work) tells me your wiring is quite old. Many folks have gotten nasty surprises when they plugged their EVs in to find melted outlets and even FIRE due to the poor condition of their wiring.

Thanks RonDawg! Very inciteful advice. Good real time on the ground info to know and work with.

Where do I get a LeafSpy? I saw one related to an Android? I have an iPhone. I have a call into a Nissan Dealer for a check. I assume that the Nissan dealer will provide solid reporting.

I checked the kitchen outlets with an outlet tester and the device showed that the receptacle is wired correctly. I was going to hire and bring in an electrician for the garage outlets.

? A New Question. Perhaps you have some ideas about?

Do I need extended warranty? which kind? (for what?) what is the best kind from dealer or elsewhere? do I need it before I drive off the lot?

Price is way too high.
See threads on auction prices.
2011 Good price is probably <$12,500
2012 Good price is probably <$13,500
But to get a really good price you may need to find means to buy at auction.
And as any used LEAF should be tested with LEAF Spy or other devices to know battery capacity you may have to work out details on whether that is possible for auction.

lonestar49 said:
I have a call into a Nissan Dealer for a check. I assume that the Nissan dealer will provide solid reporting.

Don't count on the dealer to get an accurate battery report. The information they give to the customer is almost always "5 Stars!", even when the battery is seriously degraded. I'm sure there are plenty of Leaf owners in your area with LeafSpy.

You need a dedicated circuit - one with nothing else on it, or at most a couple of lights - to charge with 120 volts. If you have a fusebox with empty spaces you can add one, with new cable - fuses aren't inherently dangerous for 120 volt circuits, they just indicate old wiring. 240 volt (L-2) charging is best for most people though, and for that you really need breakers. If you have fuses and want to add a 240 volt circuit, you will need, at a minimum, a new sub-panel for a 240 volt double breaker. An existing dryer outlet can work, but if it is powered by two fuses that should be changed to one double breaker; the reason is that if one fuse only blows, the EVSE (charging station) will still be live with 120 volts instead of 240, which is dangerous if you don't realize it.

The main issue with a 2012 SV would be the health of the battery pack, so an extended warranty *probably* isn't worth it...

TimLee said:
Price is way too high.
But to get a really good price you may need to find means to buy at option.
And as any used LEAF should be tested with LEAF Spy or other devices to know battery capacity you may have to work out details on whether that is possible for auction.

Thanks, Tim.

I have looked at some of these threads on pricing. But here in LA this is the lowest priced offer in the market. If I walk away from this one the next best pricing I can find is the Nissan S, but no quick charge.

keydiver said:
lonestar49 said:
I have a call into a Nissan Dealer for a check. I assume that the Nissan dealer will provide solid reporting.

Don't count on the dealer to get an accurate battery report. The information they give to the customer is almost always "5 Stars!", even when the battery is seriously degraded. I'm sure there are plenty of Leaf owners in your area with LeafSpy.

How much are LeafSpy and where do you get one? I'll check too with friends who have or know someone with a Leaf.

TimLee said:
Price is way too high.
But to get a really good price you may need to find means to buy at option.

Also, the dealer / salesman says that in CA the dealers have to spend between 2 and 2500 for smogging the cars. Tact that on to the car and now we are getting closer. Not sure, if I have room in this deal to bring them down. I am waiting on battery test to see what I can do with the price.

lonestar49 said:
Also, the dealer / salesman says that in CA the dealers have to spend between 2 and 2500 for smogging the cars. Tact that on to the car and now we are getting closer. Not sure, if I have room in this deal to bring them down. I am waiting on battery test to see what I can do with the price.
You do realize that an electric car doesn't have to be "smogged," right? That salesman sounds like a scam artist; wouldn't be the first. I agree with TimLee, that price is too high, especially if the battery is seriously degraded, which is likely if it has been kept in the warmer parts of So. Cal.

As for Leaf Spy, you can find out more here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the simplest thing to do when checking out a used LEAF would be to find someone here in this forum who lives near you and has a battery meter and arrange to test the car you are interested in buying.

dgpcolorado said:
lonestar49 said:
Also, the dealer / salesman says that in CA the dealers have to spend between 2 and 2500 for smogging the cars. Tact that on to the car and now we are getting closer.
You do realize that an electric car doesn't have to be "smogged," right?

And unless the ICEV/hybrid has serious problems, there is no way it costs that much to "smog" certify them. Most places test for under $50.

Under California law, if the car is under 3 years old and 50k miles, all emissions-related parts MUST be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. For "high cost" emissions-related parts like catalytic converters, it's 7 years/70k miles, and if the car is "PZEV" rated all emissions-related parts must be warranted for 15 years/150k miles + 10 years for the traction battery (if any).

Except for PZEVs, most new car emission warranties today are generally at least 7 years/70k today for all parts. That's one reason why most new car dealers don't sell anything in their used car department that are older than about 5 years; any emissions-related problems are likely still under manufacturer's warranty..

one in Cupertino for $12,500 with battery at 92% (still 12 bars)
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=37923&listingId=377146588&Log=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one in Stanton for $12,500 with 12 bars
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=37923&listingId=374615771&Log=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one in Fullerton for $12,500 with 11 bars
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=37923&listingId=374288530&Log=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and those are just the blue ones, if you are willing to consider white or red or silver there are more to choose from

Are you saying you won't drive to one of those 3 towns for a savings of $3000 or more?

RonDawg said:
dgpcolorado said:
lonestar49 said:
Also, the dealer / salesman says that in CA the dealers have to spend between 2 and 2500 for smogging the cars. Tact that on to the car and now we are getting closer.
You do realize that an electric car doesn't have to be "smogged," right?

And unless the ICEV/hybrid has serious problems, there is no way it costs that much to "smog" certify them. Most places test for under $50.
And per https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
Electric
Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
Motorcycle
Trailer
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Engineering/hybrid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hybrid-Electric Vehicles Are Exempt From Smog Checks

Hybrid-Electric vehicles are currently exempt from all Smog Check inspections until December 2014.

lonestar49 said:
I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 Ocean Blue Leaf SV (wht interior) for $16,188 (25,524 miles) in SoCal (los angeles)?
Looks expensive. Have you explored getting a lease until Gen2 Leaf comes out ?

keydiver said:
lonestar49 said:
I agree with keydiver - don't trust the dealer to provide an accurate picture of state of the battery.
lonestar49 said:
How much are LeafSpy and where do you get one? I'll check too with friends who have or know someone with a Leaf.
LeafSpy is an application that runs on Android devices (download from google play). There are 3 versions, offering various capabilities. I purchased the Pro which offers datalogging. With that and dropbox, I can send data from my phone to my computer(s).

LeafSpy is only the software - it uses the bluetooth connection available in the phone/tablet to talk with a Bluetooth/OBD-II adapter which plugs into the car. These are fairly low cost - I've seen $8 mentioned from Amazon.

Back