Quick Charge Port add-on

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtondav

We are about to take delivery of a 2014 Leaf SV. It does not have the Quick Charge Port.

Can the Quick Charge Port be added later? How much?

Thanks,
Burtondav

Nissan has always said that it couldn't be added after delivery...

I suppose someone with all the part numbers will say that you can order the parious parts and cables and make it work, but most people can't do that.

I would advise getting a car that already has it in place...You'll also get the faster AC Level 2 charging as well....

Randy said:
Nissan has always said that it couldn't be added after delivery...

I suppose someone with all the part numbers will say that you can order the parious parts and cables and make it work, but most people can't do that.

It's also far more expensive in just parts alone (never mind labor) than paying for the option up front.

I would advise getting a car that already has it in place...You'll also get the faster AC Level 2 charging as well....

The 2013+ SV already has the 6.6 kW charger, with or without QC. It's on the S where the QC also adds it.

My understanding is that the 2014 Leaf SV has the 6.6 kW charge - which allows you to connect to a 240v charger (level 2).

But, I thought the Quick Charge Port - was an additional port for the level 3 charging.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
Burtondav

burtondav said:
My understanding is that the 2014 Leaf SV has the 6.6 kW charge - which allows you to connect to a 240v charger (level 2).

But, I thought the Quick Charge Port - was an additional port for the level 3 charging.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
Burtondav

Yes it is additional but on an S with charge package it is included but some SV models have the 6kw charger and no QC port.

IF there are QC stations convenient to you and you expect to really use your vehicle (i.e. you aren't in a "only 20 miles/day every day" class of driver), I would recommend getting a trim level/model with the QC port on it to start.

I didn't really expect to use mine - but within a month of buying I found 2 cases where it was REALLY handy to swing by and do a quick boost up to 70-80%. Example - I made an early morning run to the airport (80+ miles RT) returning with LBW/no range indicated state. About 5-7% charge? Was able to swing by and in 20 minutes have more than enough charge to run around for the rest of the day. I would have had to sit on the 6Kw charger for much of the day (i.e. run errands, charge, repeat) which would have been much less efficient overall and somewhat of a pain (wife would have just switched over to the ICE).

I'll chime in with another advantage of the QC port that I don't think I've seen anyone mention yet, exactly...

If you're something of a "battery hypochondriac" like me, you fret over the conflicting desires to keep a low average battery State Of Charge (SOC) in hopes of extending the battery life, vs. being prepared for unanticipated errands/trips. Because I know there are some nearby QC stations, I can afford to give my battery only a 60- or 70-minute charging window (using both Start and End timers and an 80% limit) that just barely replaces the charge my normal, monotonous 20-mile RT commute uses, and knowing that if something unexpected >does< come up, it won't take long to grab a few dozen extra miles from a QC station. The rest of the time, my battery gets to stay between 3 and 6 or 7 bars of charge. Fortunately, the unexpected is very rare, so the self-deception where I ignore the fact that the in-town QCs are mostly Blink stations that have only about a 30% chance of being operational hasn't bit me yet...

LeftieBiker said:
Just to be clear: ALL of the SV and SL models since 2013 have the 6.6kw charger standard. Not some, all. QC was an option only on the pre-2013 SV.
And that's a 6.0kW (output) charger, not 6.6 kW. Nissan played marketing games when they provided the faster L2 charger; the original 3.3 kW-rated charger was its output rating, not its input. The 6.6 kW is an input rating on the newer, more powerful on-board charger (OBC); 6.0 kW is its output. They decided to call it 6.6 kW to compete with the 6.6 kW output (7.2 kW input) OBCs on the Focus Electric, Fit EV and 500e.

Just to reiterate, we know of no way to retrofit the QC port to a car, and neither the dealers or Nissan offer it. If you want it, you need to buy the car already equipped with it.

GRA said:
LeftieBiker said:
Just to be clear: ALL of the SV and SL models since 2013 have the 6.6kw charger standard. Not some, all. QC was an option only on the pre-2013 SV.
And that's a 6.0kW (output) charger, not 6.6 kW. Nissan played marketing games when they provided the faster L2 charger; the original 3.3 kW-rated charger was its output rating, not its input. The 6.6 kW is an input rating on the newer, more powerful on-board charger (OBC); 6.0 kW is its output. They decided to call it 6.6 kW to compete with the 6.6 kW output (7.2 kW input) OBCs on the Focus Electric, Fit EV and 500e.

Just to reiterate, we know of no way to retrofit the QC port to a car, and neither the dealers or Nissan offer it. If you want it, you need to buy the car already equipped with it.
I wouldn't go in the weeds over the details. The "6.6 kW" charger can replenish at a rate of roughly 30% battery per hour. Frequently I pull in from my daily commute on the verge of LBW (18-20%) and can have it back to 80% in 2 hours on a 30 amp unit. It takes another 2 hours to run it the remaining 20% to completely full.

I have a 2014 SV without the QC port. Yes, I wanted the port and the LED lights. No, I currently don't miss it because there isn't a QC charger within a 100 miles. At the rate any charging infrastructure is being installed in NE Ohio, my lease will be over before I see one around here.

For the OP, the need for QC all depends on the area of the country, expected travel distances, and personal time sensitivity for QC charging. If you need it, get it from the onset because it's unlikely to be cost effective to add later.

Back