2011,2012 quick chargers. Only available on SL? Or SV also?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveningham

Confused about quick chargers on 2011 and 2012 leafs. I looked at the speck sheets on the forum but am still confused a bit. Where they only optional on the SL? Optional on SV? Or only on SL e? I am shopping for an older leaf and the quick Charge is a must have. For sale listings don't always say if the car has the option and some non Nissan dealers confuse it with the regular charge package. I see the words, Fast Charge a lot but this is not the same as the DC quick charge port is it? Trying to filter through the listings a little faster and avoid some waisted trips looking at the wrong cars for my needs. Thanks for the help

I believe that on the '11 Leaf SV and '12 Leaf SV, you could NOT get the quick charge (CHAdeMO) port. See http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/19/2012-nissan-leaf-higher-price-tag-standard-equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

On the '11, you needed to get an SL to get the QC port, as an option. IIRC, SL-E came w/the QC port, as that was for the EV project (Ecotality/Blink involved). On '12 SL, QC port was standard.

IIRC, the easiest way to tell if the car was an SL or not is the SL has a small solar panel on the rear spoiler. There are a few other visible differences.

(It wasn't until '13+ that you could get the DC FC port on all 3 trims (S trim being new to '13+). See specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For '13, quick charge port was an option on S and SV (I have a '13 SV and QC port) and standard on SL.)

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Why is quick charge a "must have"? Is CHAdeMO (http://www.chademo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) infrastructure well-developed and reliable in your area? You plan to use CHAdeMO DC FCs often?

cwerdna is correct. In 2011 the QC port was not standard on either trim - it was an option on the SL. My 2011 was a demo so fortunately had it as an option. If looking used you have to ask about this. The same about the cold weather package (CW) - this was introduced late in the 2011 model year as an option before becoming standard on both models in 2012.

In 2012 the QC port was one of the few differences between the SV and SL - the solar panel being the main other difference.

No, the 2011 SL also had the solar panel. And if you were lucky enough to be accepted in to the Energy Dept. program, as I was, you got a free Blink Charger and a free QC port on the SL... That model was generically called the SL-e

cgaydos said:
In 2012 the QC port was one of the few differences between the SV and SL - the solar panel being the main other difference.

Wow, just the info I needed. Thanks every one so much. Most of my driving is just around Florence Oregon, but also drive as far as Ashland and Portland twice per month. I also drive up to Eugene and Corvallis to perform. I am a singer/songwriter musician and would love to be able to promote electric cars to my audience. I believe strongly that we have to go EV to save our planet. 'I'm on a mission from Mother Earth' Lol. My car will have graphics promoting EV's along with my stage name. I will write a song about the car and sing it. Musicians tend to get attention. Even little guys like me, so I am hoping that parking the car right in front of where I am performing will bring some attention to the EV and that people might think,, if he can drive one maybe an EV would work for me also. I put down $100 back in 2010 to reserve a Leaf but just couldn't make it happen due to the economy at the time. Now that there are some used Leafs out there it looks like I am finally going to be able to go EV. Thanks again for your help. It should be easier to find my new green instrument hauler now. The search is on. :D

I looked at used leafs before buying (leasing) a new S model, cost was about the same as the used ones, if you get an S, make sure to get the Charge package to get the bigger charger and the QC port, which my no option S does not have, not that there are any QC places I could use it around me yet in Cincinnati, OH that I know of

Back