Are Nissan Dealerships REALLY On-Board with EV Charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else noticed, that their seems to be a real "lack of interest" on the part of their local Nissan dealership about their EV Charge Stations?
I just picked up a new 2014 Leaf at my local dealer, and every time I visit to charge my Leaf - only 1 out of 3 Charge stations is (somewhat) working.
I took noticed of this when we first looked at the Leaf. The two Level 2 stations didn't work, (and b/t/w STILL aren't working) and when the Level 3 station isn't displaying "error", it will only charge until about 60% before it cuts-out (dealer says it "overheats"). Still whenever I go into the dealer to report the problem, they act like they could care less!
Now everything I read about "Corporate Nissan" is very positive concerning EV development and charge stations - their installing more & more everyday.
However, if you take a look via "PlugShare" at comments made by persons attempting to charge at Nissan dealerships -vs- Nissan installed chargers at other locations. Looks to me like Leaf owners are having less trouble charging at Nissan Level 2/3 stations installed in the other locations (like parking garages, universities, etc.) then they do at the Nissan dealership itself -where if the station often is not functioning -for months -and don't count on it to be available anytime soon. Some Leaf "PlugShare" users commented on one dealer in the Seattle area that will only allow THEIR Leaf customers to charge -which sure seems contradictory to everything Corporate Nissan is trying to accomplish in it's quest to build a long range network of Level 3 charge stations.
So as I write this, I can't help but think "what IS Nissan trying to accomplish"? Does Nissan envision it's future as an all electric vehicle manufacturer (like Tesla)? And at what cost to their own dealerships? I also couldn't help remembering what my Leaf dealership said during the financial negotiations that took place. I kept being reminded by my dealer that they, (like most -if not all Nissan dealerships) are taking a loss on each car they sell. In my case I think it was around $1600. So from a business prospective you can't help wondering "what's in it for the dealer?" Seems like their losing money all-around on each Leaf sale.
First they lose money on the sale, and then again in their Service Department, as electric vehicles simply are not going to require as much maintenance as the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles, they are also selling. And now on top of that, they are now being forced by Nissan to provide energy for the car they just loss money on!
It's going to be very interesting to see over the next couple of years, how this all plays out for Nissan and it's dealerships. In the mean time, if they are going to have any chance in holding on their record sales numbers for Leaf's - they better get the dealerships to service and maintain their Level 2/3 charge stations in good working order, (even if they have to subsidize it themselves) or risk losing loyal Leaf customers to Tesla in 2017 when the Model 3 arrives.

There are some problems, especially if you live in the Seattle area.

Down here in Vancouver, WA we benefit from Oregon's active EV program which has brought the rollout of well placed L3/L2 chargers. Once you come south and hit the Shell Station Aeroviroment charger in Tumwater, you are on the way to Oregon and freedom to travel all the way down I-5, up and down the scenic coast, Bend area, and as far east as Arlington on I-84.

Washington is too busy giving Boeing breaks than taking care of us EV serfs ... much less educating our kids... or providing bridges that are safe...

The dealership in Glendale, CA has a rapid station that has been down since a week ago when we bought our Leaf. They keep telling us that they're fixing it and that the qualified technician is so busy with other stations around the area.

We'll have to see if they ever get it up. I sure hope it's not a gimmick!

It very much depends on the individual dealer. Don't forget that these are independent companies, that are not owned by Nissan. It is up to their discretion (and money) to install and maintain EV stations. Yes, Nissan USA seem to cover some of the costs, but at the end of the day it is a business decision. Dealer with a lot of EV car sales are probably more interested than others with very few sales.

CentralCAOwner said:
Has anyone else noticed, that their seems to be a real "lack of interest" on the part of their local Nissan dealership about their EV Charge Stations?
I just picked up a new 2014 Leaf at my local dealer, and every time I visit to charge my Leaf - only 1 out of 3 Charge stations is (somewhat) working.
I took noticed of this when we first looked at the Leaf. The two Level 2 stations didn't work, (and b/t/w STILL aren't working) and when the Level 3 station isn't displaying "error", it will only charge until about 60% before it cuts-out (dealer says it "overheats"). Still whenever I go into the dealer to report the problem, they act like they could care less!
Now everything I read about "Corporate Nissan" is very positive concerning EV development and charge stations - their installing more & more everyday.
However, if you take a look via "PlugShare" at comments made by persons attempting to charge at Nissan dealerships -vs- Nissan installed chargers at other locations. Looks to me like Leaf owners are having less trouble charging at Nissan Level 2/3 stations installed in the other locations (like parking garages, universities, etc.) then they do at the Nissan dealership itself -where if the station often is not functioning -for months -and don't count on it to be available anytime soon. Some Leaf "PlugShare" users commented on one dealer in the Seattle area that will only allow THEIR Leaf customers to charge -which sure seems contradictory to everything Corporate Nissan is trying to accomplish in it's quest to build a long range network of Level 3 charge stations.
So as I write this, I can't help but think "what IS Nissan trying to accomplish"? Does Nissan envision it's future as an all electric vehicle manufacturer (like Tesla)? And at what cost to their own dealerships? I also couldn't help remembering what my Leaf dealership said during the financial negotiations that took place. I kept being reminded by my dealer that they, (like most -if not all Nissan dealerships) are taking a loss on each car they sell. In my case I think it was around $1600. So from a business prospective you can't help wondering "what's in it for the dealer?" Seems like their losing money all-around on each Leaf sale.
First they lose money on the sale, and then again in their Service Department, as electric vehicles simply are not going to require as much maintenance as the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles, they are also selling. And now on top of that, they are now being forced by Nissan to provide energy for the car they just loss money on!
It's going to be very interesting to see over the next couple of years, how this all plays out for Nissan and it's dealerships. In the mean time, if they are going to have any chance in holding on their record sales numbers for Leaf's - they better get the dealerships to service and maintain their Level 2/3 charge stations in good working order, (even if they have to subsidize it themselves) or risk losing loyal Leaf customers to Tesla in 2017 when the Model 3 arrives.

Anyone notice their eyes getting tired? :D

mtietz said:
It very much depends on the individual dealer. Don't forget that these are independent companies, that are not owned by Nissan. It is up to their discretion (and money) to install and maintain EV stations. Yes, Nissan USA seem to cover some of the costs, but at the end of the day it is a business decision. Dealer with a lot of EV car sales are probably more interested than others with very few sales.

Exactly! And from a business perspective, it's simply a matter of dollars & cents. Currently, it doesn't make any sense for Nissan Dealerships to spend dollars on maintaining the costs for these stations. At least not until the majority of all vehicles, (on the road) are at least PHEV's.

In the mean time if Nissan USA is to successfully compete with Tesla, and be completely serious about ending "long-range" anxiety, (as well as dealership anxiety) they should consider installing all of their Level 3 stations 70 miles apart along Interstates and major highway interchanges -at Travel Centers, Rest Stops, and yes, even gas stations. They should be able negotiate Installation and maintenance costs a lot better with these Independent owners, who would benefit from drawing "longer-waiting" customers -that have more time to browse and spend money in their shops.

Yep, the put-it-at-the-Nissan-dealer model is hopelessly broken!

CentralCAOwner said:
In the mean time if Nissan USA is to successfully compete with Tesla, and be completely serious about ending "long-range" anxiety, (as well as dealership anxiety) they should consider installing all of their Level 3 stations 70 miles apart along Interstates and major highway interchanges -at Travel Centers, Rest Stops, and yes, even gas stations.

We cant count on 70 long term. 45 would be better.

CentralCAOwner said:
mtietz said:
In the mean time if Nissan USA is to successfully compete with Tesla, and be completely serious about ending "long-range" anxiety, (as well as dealership anxiety) they should consider installing all of their Level 3 stations 70 miles apart along Interstates and major highway interchanges -at Travel Centers, Rest Stops, and yes, even gas stations. They should be able negotiate Installation and maintenance costs a lot better with these Independent owners, who would benefit from drawing "longer-waiting" customers -that have more time to browse and spend money in their shops.

I bought my 2011 Monday at an AutoAmerica dealer. They only had the 110v so I drove it with 45 miles to the local dealer 2 miles away. The level 2 worked but I had to double park because of where the charger is.

My local dealer does not have a level 3 yet. its on the way and they say the sell more Leafs than any other in Dallas Fort worth. I only know of 2 Dealers in my area that have level 3.

I drove to 3 EVGOs and only 1 of the 3 worked.

I think all the chargers are BEHIND gates so after hour use will be blocked. :eek:

NissanNut said:
I bought my 2011 Monday at an AutoAmerica dealer. They only had the 110v so I drove it with 45 miles to the local dealer 2 miles away. The level 2 worked but I had to double park because of where the charger is.

My local dealer does not have a level 3 yet. its on the way and they say the sell more Leafs than any other in Dallas Fort worth. I only know of 2 Dealers in my area that have level 3.

I drove to 3 EVGOs and only 1 of the 3 worked.

I think all the chargers are BEHIND gates so after hour use will be blocked. :eek:

Yeah, this whole process of first having to locate a charging station, and then finding it down will keep this Leaf owner from not venturing any further than 80 miles RT from home.
However, CONGRATS on your purchase! I think you'll find that charging at home will more than adequately fill your range needs.

I agree. Thats the plan, just charge at home 95% of the time. We just ordered a level 2 charger. ;) We just got the car-wings batterystatus app working.

I will setup accounts with evgo and blink since its not easy to do when needed. I ordered a blink dongle 4 days ago. My smart phone cant scan there qr code for some reason.

My wife is loving this car, its her 6th Nissan and already her favorite.

Some dealers are certainly more enlightened than others. I'll put in a plug for my local dealer (Marlboro Nissan) has they do keep their QC and their L2 chargers unblocked.

Unfortunately, they've starting locking the QC when the dealership is closed. I wish they could keep them open and available for Leaf owners.

mikelb said:
The dealership in Glendale, CA has a rapid station that has been down since a week ago when we bought our Leaf. They keep telling us that they're fixing it and that the qualified technician is so busy with other stations around the area.

We'll have to see if they ever get it up. I sure hope it's not a gimmick!
Still down as of August 8, as is the QC at sister dealership Universal Nissan several miles west. At Univ. Nissan there is no signage posted saying the QC is out of order but some sales reps will tell you it is, and it has reliably failed to charge my '13 Leaf for at least six weeks, as well as aborting charge attempts on other Leafs I've seen attempt it. Not much love for the DC QC stations by some Nissan dealers these days.

After reading these, I realize we're pretty lucky where I'm at. Not only does Tynan's Nissan have chargers at their dealership, they also paid to put a L3 and two L2 stations at our local mall. Those chargers are rarely busy, so I've been "filling-up" for "free" pretty regularly. The dealer stations are often ICE'd with new vehicles at both of their locations, Fort Collins and Aurora, but they always rush to move them when I show up with the Leaf.

They even bring me out a bottle of water and stick around to chat about the car. I did go to the Aurora store one morning to find the L3 out of service, but by noon the service dept let me know it was fixed so I went right back over.

I have heard that the other dealerships in my area are not as friendly to the Leaf but I haven't been to any of those yet.

I wish people would stop relying on dealers to charge other then when they need service, this should not be their role any more then having gas pumps. I don't blame dealers for wanting to avoid this for many reasons, If you buy a LEAF you should be able to meet your charging needs at home first and foremost. Relying on other sources that are not reserved for you is an issue.

EVDRIVER said:
I wish people would stop relying on dealers to charge other then when they need service, this should not be their role any more then having gas pumps. I don't blame dealers for wanting to avoid this for many reasons, If you buy a LEAF you should be able to meet your charging needs at home first and foremost. Relying on other sources that are not reserved for you is an issue.

The dealers are more than happy to march you over to the fancy chargers when you walk into the dealership to plunk down $35k on a new leaf. They'll tell you that you're free to use them anytime you want. They'll tell you that your car will be all charged up in a mere 30 minutes.

Those chargers were not put there for service reasons. They were put there to sell cars. I bought the car, I can charge there.

Now, I agree with the fact that putting the chargers at dealerships is stupid. That's really not a great place for them and that's why I'm glad my dealer also placed one another public location. I'm also very capable of charging at home, but when the dealerships are touting the L3's as a range extender when they're selling, they need to put up when the Leaf's drive up.

AlanSqB said:
EVDRIVER said:

The dealers are more than happy to march you over to the fancy chargers when you walk into the dealership to plunk down $35k on a new leaf. They'll tell you that you're free to use them anytime you want. They'll tell you that your car will be all charged up in a mere 30 minutes.

Those chargers were not put there for service reasons. They were put there to sell cars. I bought the car, I can charge there.

Now, I agree with the fact that putting the chargers at dealerships is stupid. That's really not a great place for them and that's why I'm glad my dealer also placed one another public location. I'm also very capable of charging at home, but when the dealerships are touting the L3's as a range extender when they're selling, they need to put up when the Leaf's drive up.

Like anything a dealer says, get it in writing. They also promise 100 mile range. Not all dealers promise charger access and many have a time limit.

Well, as my post was intended to respond to the question from the OP, I am happy to be dealing with a dealer that supports their EV customers.

AlanSqB said:
Well, as my post was intended to respond to the question from the OP, I am happy to be dealing with a dealer that supports their EV customers.
I think there is a perception that dealers install chargers to sell cars. Personally believe dealers install chargers to generate foot traffic in their dealership. It's the same concept as providing free beverages and wifi in a service lounge, which in many newer designed dealerships is open to the showroom. So it make perfect sense for a dealership to provide complementary EV charging as it provides an opportunity to have face-to-face contact with a potential customer.

My dealer did not promise free charging, or guarantee an amperage rate for charging, or guarantee the station would not be in use. But did tell me I'm currently welcome to use their charging equipment or at their sister Chevy dealership at no cost when in need. Other dealers in the area appear to be just as welcoming. None have L3's, and if you think about it there is a much better chance of face-to-face contact if the customer is loiter around their business waiting on a L2 charge.

Back