Eco mode ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelyp

So far I have only been driving my Leaf in ECO mode. I have seen that the range drops 4 or 5 miles just turning eco mode off.

Is it better to run in eco all the time, or should you shut it off under certain conditions, like hill climing??

Or would turning off eco mode be more for exiting parking lots, or merging, turning,.

Now that I have l2 connectivity at home I was going to do some experimenting.

lonelyp said:
So far I have only been driving my Leaf in ECO mode. I have seen that the range drops 4 or 5 miles just turning eco mode off.

Is it better to run in eco all the time, or should you shut it off under certain conditions, like hill climing??

Or would turning off eco mode be more for exiting parking lots, or merging, turning,.

Now that I have l2 connectivity at home I was going to do some experimenting.
eco is giving you a false sense of more range, all it really does is slow the acceleration a bit and trims the A/C
I run in B mode without eco

Run in whatever mode feels most right for you, and just use a light right foot when appropriate. The best uses for Eco are to limit A/C consumption and (I do this) make driving economically a thought-free process.

Have I been thinking wrong all this time? I thought that all that eco did in regards to climate control was limit the power draw of the resistance heater to 1500 watts. I drive in eco all the time. The only time I shift out of it is to make the heater work better in the winter. I dont care about the battery. Being warm trumps everything. And if im going down a hill and I dont want to slow down as fast with my foot off the gas. In eco mode you get a biit more regenerative braking.
All eco does is change the relationship between the gas pedal position and the power given to or taken from the wheels. You can do the same thing by leaving it in eco and pushing down a bit on the gas. But I am lazy and would rather not do that. Sometimes I just shift to neutral and let er coast. It doesn't hurt anything to slam it into drve on the fly when you need to go faster or slow down.

O so ECO effect the A/C also... Good to know was going to take my Leaf in to have the A/C checked, cause it not putting out A/C as fast as I think it should be.

Will do some A/C tests in ECO and Normal Mode. to Check it out.

I drive in Drive mode all the time now, I only shift into ECO to slow me down while about to hit a stop sign or a Red light, I also use it while coasting down a long steep hill.

As far as A/C, 2011 with 32K Miles on it now, A/C is still Ice Cold.

Fred

Wennfred said:
I drive in Drive mode all the time now, I only shift into ECO to slow me down while about to hit a stop sign or a Red light, I also use it while coasting down a long steep hill.

As far as A/C, 2011 with 32K Miles on it now, A/C is still Ice Cold.

Fred

B Mode is a better fit for those circumstances.

my 2014 SV has ECO on the steering wheel and B mode on the hockey puck shifter thingy, the same shifter with D and R and N. ECO and B are separate. I can shift on the fly from B to D using the hockey puck. I can toggle ECO from the steering wheel. All separate in any combo I need/want. Apparently B mode is not a 2011-2013 thing? I leave it in D and no ECO for test drives to impress people, then tell them to press ECO and shift to B to see (feel is more like it!) the differences. I cruise the highways and the interstates in ECO and D, more efficiency and less slow-down. I cruise the local in-town streets with ECO off and B shifted 'on', for quick starts and lots of regen. YMMV or is it Y kWHr MV?

Curt, new to EVs and wow, it is cool!

AFAIK (I can be wrong) To me it is better to coast as far as you can instead of regenning and then using that power. So when going down hills I put my foot on the gas so that I am not regenning but not using much power either. (1 ball) This can be done in eco or drive but is easier in drive. I just use eco when I want to slow down on the long stretch of road. (like slowing down for the vista ridge tunnel eastbound on 26 for you Portlanders)

Back