Leasing questions -

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaigeH

New to the Board. My husband and I want to lease a Leaf - We are retired and know how much we can save in gas and payments. I have a beautiful Black Sportstrack Adrenalin with 40,000 miles I love, but right now I am to saving money. I was planning on selling it, banking that money and leasing a leaf. :oops:

We cannot find a way to get the car because we do not pay any state tax to get the tax rebate. We wanted our daughter who has a good job and good credit to lease it for us, and then transfer the lease to us - we would be making the payments. But, she also wants to buy a leaf and is a little afraid to lease 2 cars and have that on her credit because she would like to buy a new house next year.

Is there anyone who knows a way around this as we truly want to buy the leaf. HELP! So far, no one has an answer for us as to how to enjoy the benefits of the leaf and lease one.

I've only heard of dealers doing this for people with poor credit scores... but it might work in your situation:

You can basically "pre-pay" a lease. So if you have the cash, you simply pay your down payment + 36 months of payments at the time of leasing. It usually comes out to about $10K, for a basic model. But, in some states you get a rebate.

I don't see any downside from the dealers point of view. So it seems like they'd be willing to do it.

Good luck!

You will need a Gas car to fall back on to do long trip. or even out of Leaf Range Trips.

But you need to know your driving patterns, Can you get by Renting for that once a year trip? Factor the rental into your costs..

or are you doing alot out of range trips alot? Cost wise a ICE (Gas) car will be needed. Can you "Share One Leaf?"

Do you plan to charge @ home (Factor that cost in, Assume 1 mile of driving = .33 KwH's * your Electric costs )

Setup cost to put L2 Charger in $800 for charger + $400 for Electrician.

GaigeH said:
New to the Board. My husband and I want to lease a Leaf - We are retired and know how much we can save in gas and payments. I have a beautiful Black Sportstrack Adrenalin with 40,000 miles I love, but right now I am to saving money. I was planning on selling it, banking that money and leasing a leaf. :oops:

We cannot find a way to get the car because we do not pay any state tax to get the tax rebate. We wanted our daughter who has a good job and good credit to lease it for us, and then transfer the lease to us - we would be making the payments. But, she also wants to buy a leaf and is a little afraid to lease 2 cars and have that on her credit because she would like to buy a new house next year.

Is there anyone who knows a way around this as we truly want to buy the leaf. HELP! So far, no one has an answer for us as to how to enjoy the benefits of the leaf and lease one.

If you are looking to lease it the biggest credit, the $7,500 from the feds will be taken by Nissan so you don't need to worry about that. The only loss would be on any state one.

MikeinDenver said:
If you are looking to lease it the biggest credit, the $7,500 from the feds will be taken by Nissan so you don't need to worry about that. The only lose would be on any state one.
Arguable, but not exactly wrong. Personally, I'd rather live in a state with no tax, than a state with a huge tax credit for EVs.

LeftieBiker said:
when leasing the car the lesee never gets the tax break, the lessor gets it and lowers the cost basis for the lease

Hopefully this would mean that a pre-paid lease, as suggested above, would cost $7500 less as a a result.
this means ANY lease, do you get how leasing works?

apvbguy said:
when leasing the car the lesee never gets the tax break, the lessor gets it and lowers the cost basis for the lease

This is true of the federal tax credit. This is not true of state benefits, which the OP asked about.

Unfortunately the OP didn't provide her home state. The benefits in California and Colorado are available even if you pay no state tax. I can't speak to the benefits in Georgia, Illinois, or other states.

apvbguy said:
LeftieBiker said:

Hopefully this would mean that a pre-paid lease, as suggested above, would cost $7500 less as a a result.
this means ANY lease, do you get how leasing works?

Coffee bothering you lately? I didn't know for *certain* that prepaying would get the full credit credit, so I wrote "hopefully." Unlike many of the overly-self-sure posters here...

[/quote]

But what if you owe no state tax? That was the question of the OP.

In that situation in Colorado you'd still get a refund for the amount of the credit. What about Georgia?[/quote]

No, it is Not Refundable, if you have no state Income Tax liability, in that 5 tax year period that is allowed.

Back