Running AC while on EVSE and not Deplete Charged battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goixiz

I would like to know if its possible to run the AC and use the EVSE source to power the AC when its plugged in and not the car battery.

I noticed that if i turn on the AC when the car is fully charged it depletes the battery and when i unplug the %SOC says 98% after about 10 minutes of AC on

goixiz said:
I would like to know if its possible to run the AC and use the EVSE source to power the AC when its plugged in and not the car battery.
Yes. Just leave it plugged in, restarts the EVSE automatically when the HVAC comes on. Use it off the timer every morning, works well.

Hopefully I'm correct here. My impression is that running the heat or ac always drains the battery. And plugging in the car charges the battery. The trick is you can do both at the same time. If the climate control takes more than the charger puts out, you will discharge your battery. Conversely, if the climate control uses less you will have a net gain of charge. I notice this when I have my charge timer stop at 80 percent and I have the climate control timer on as well, my charge is over 80 percent when I leave in the morning.. really you shouldn't ever leave your car charged at 100 percent unless you plan to drive 20 percent or so off immediately upon reaching that charge. Set your climate control and your charge timer to when you leave in the morning, or after work so that the high charge is on your battery for as short a time as possible. If you come out and it's 98 percent, so be it. Its only a couple miles difference.

I am most likely mistaken (wrong) but this is what i think its happening to my Leaf

I leave it plugged in to L2 to charge. I normally turn on remotely the AC before i get back to the car so i can enjoy the feature and after a few hours on the bike in atlanta its a great welcome to something cool and a cold drink and some snacks :)

So when i remotely turn on the AC after it has reached full charge on the EVSE, it stops charging, it will not restart charging till it drops below a threshold and hence it is using the CAR battery as its power source (and not the EVSE). Thats my assumption

I drive an s.. doesn't have all of those features

All I have is the charge and climate control timers. But yeah, I think once the charger cuts off, you are on your battery. Perhaps you could charge the car immediately, and set the climate control timer for when you plan to return instead of turning the ac on remotely? I know in my car, this will turn the charger back on and you'd have a full battery when you get back

goixiz said:
...So when i remotely turn on the AC after it has reached full charge on the EVSE, it stopped charging, it will not restart charging till it drops below a threshold and hence it is using the CAR battery as its power source (and not the EVSE). Thats my assumption
I'm think that's not how it works. If the car is plugged-in and you initiate Cimate Control remotely I believe that it will charge the battery if the CC draws less power than the car charger can output, so long as the battery is at less than "100%" SOC.

That's how timed CC works and I can't see why it would be different from remotely initiated CC. I'd run a test to see, but I have no cell phone reception at my house so no remote access to the car. Perhaps someone else with a Gid meter can do the experiment.

goixiz said:
So when i remotely turn on the AC after it has reached full charge on the EVSE, it stops charging, it will not restart charging till it drops below a threshold and hence it is using the CAR battery as its power source (and not the EVSE). Thats my assumption
You are likely correct. Do you know the wattage output of the L2 station where it is connected? The reason I mention this is that I've seen cooling loads pulling well over 3 kW for extended periods on sunny humid days, and that's in N.E. Ohio. Atlanta heat would be much worse. I had the glass tinted last week which is making a huge difference.

easiest way is turn on A/C before charge is completed. You likely just need to restart charging although I notice I never get the "normal" full charge GIDs when I do this

I see no mention of the level EVSE being used. An L-1 like the one supplied with the car won't always keep up with the drain from the climate control. I know that with heat there is always a slow drop in net charge as a result. I'm not sure about what happens with L-1 and the A/C, even though I usually use L-1...

LeftieBiker said:
I see no mention of the level EVSE being used. An L-1 like the one supplied with the car won't always keep up with the drain from the climate control. I know that with heat there is always a slow drop in net charge as a result. I'm not sure about what happens with L-1 and the A/C, even though I usually use L-1...

A/C uses very little power after the initial cool down period. I venture to say that L1 could keep up

Back