Dealer wants to see other dealer's quotes - protocol?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muncan

I have three dealers that are competing for our business. I have email quotes from them and one of them wants me to send them the email from the other dealer. What is the protocol for this? I don't want to share if I don't have to. The dealer with the best price is a distance from where I live, the dealer asking me for the quote is closer to me. The difference in price is about $2k. If I have to I will travel, but I'd prefer, of course, for the dealer near by to give me the same price.

How would I go about sharing this quote? Do I PDF and redact the other dealer's information? Please advise.

I've never worried about sharing the quote if I thought it would help my cause. You might want to redact the other dealer to keep the local guy from knowing how far away the other dealer is. I once had a dealer almost match a quote, but stop short because he thought I'd let him have an extra few hundred rather than travel.

Share the quote, and then when that dealer beats the other quotes, take his quote back to the other two and ask them if they can beat that price. When it comes to dealers, there is no protocol on minimizing how much they screw you.

Back