New Owner 2013 S with quick charge ?'s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazaroo

Picking up car today. Have a few questions. I'm sure I will have more later.

As far as I know you can't use any kind of remote app for state of charge, climate control or anything else. How about an app like the leaf spy. Will that work with my car. I think I read that you plug something into the obd port. If this will work does it only work with a smartphone and how do you use it?

Also, I know I have the crappy heater but is it true the ac is actually better than the one on the sv, sl models? Hopefully here in NC I can mostly get by with the heated seats and steering wheel.

thanks

tazaroo said:
Picking up car today. Have a few questions. I'm sure I will have more later.

As far as I know you can't use any kind of remote app for state of charge, climate control or anything else. How about an app like the leaf spy. Will that work with my car. I think I read that you plug something into the obd port. If this will work does it only work with a smartphone and how do you use it?

Also, I know I have the crappy heater but is it true the ac is actually better than the one on the sv, sl models? Hopefully here in NC I can mostly get by with the heated seats and steering wheel.

thanks

LeafSpy works fine with the S, but it connects w bluetooth, so unless you are in, or very close the car, you cannot use it to remotely monitor state of charge. After you use the car a while you will get a "feel" for how long it takes to charge, and remote monitoring of SOC is not really needed. LeafSpy or similar is very helpful if you want to get the most range from your car, as you need it to monitor SOC when the battery is low. (The dash available information is non-existent at low battery levels, the indicators on the dash either disappear, or flash "--" miles left, not very useful).

We have both S and SV, but live in Bay Area, where temps are very mild. For us differences in S and SV heater and AC are not noticeable.

Yes, the Heat and AC system on the S is basically the same as on the 11 and 12 and while it is far less efficient at heating that the reverse cycle system on the 13 and 14 SV and up, it is actually more efficient at cooling.

So glad I saw this post. I just got a 2014 S model and didn't know that the SV & SL had more efficient heating. I live in Georgia where I can deal with supplementing with a jacket or using the heat seaters to offset the energy consumption on my 30 mile one way commute. Would you mind expanding on the more efficient cooling in the S model or point me to a link to read? I'm encouraged!

TomT said:
Yes, the Heat and AC system on the S is basically the same as on the 11 and 12 and while it is far less efficient at heating that the reverse cycle system on the 13 and 14 SV and up, it is actually more efficient at cooling.

It is covered in detail another thread here but basically the reverse cycle system on the 2013/2014 SL/SV vehicles does not use a proportional valve. This is necessary to have an efficient AC system with a reverse cycle implementation. Proportional valves are expensive and that is why Nissan choose to go without one.

hallfleming said:
So glad I saw this post. I just got a 2014 S model and didn't know that the SV & SL had more efficient heating. I live in Georgia where I can deal with supplementing with a jacket or using the heat seaters to offset the energy consumption on my 30 mile one way commute. Would you mind expanding on the more efficient cooling in the S model or point me to a link to read? I'm encouraged!

With the faster charging, monitoring is not really needed. Also, I had both and the heater on the 13 is not the same as the 11. The difference in performance is noticable

Back