Why use of extension cords prohibited by Nissan.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trisheds30

I have an outside outlet and want to use 120v cord but the supplied cord isn't long enough. A friend is using a heavy duty outside extension cord and has been for some months. Why do Nissan say no to that?

Because Nissan is afraid that someone will do something bonehead and start a fire or electrocute someone. Use an extension cord of 12 gauge and do it correctly and you should be fine...

trisheds30 said:
I have an outside outlet and want to use 120v cord but the supplied cord isn't long enough. A friend is using a heavy duty outside extension cord and has been for some months. Why do Nissan say no to that?

NFPA limits the cord length for EV charging to 25 feet unless a cable management system (reel) is used, and this length includes both before and after the EVSE itself. Using an extension cord is effectively a violation, but there's unlikely to be any enforcement if you're doing it as an end user. As said, if you do it smartly and use a good cord you'll be okay.-

Nissan, however, would not be able to sell a device that isn't compliant... so that's why things are the way they are. Nissan prohibits using extension cords to cover their ass if a user-created noncompliance situation results in bad things.
=Smidge=

Yep - You can bet if Nissan said it was okay, you'd have people out there using 100 ft. extension cords with 16 gauge wire inside... then complain or sue when something catches on fire.

Because extension cord conditions vary. And not all extension cords are made equally.
Nissan does not want to play electrician and evaluate every possible situation.

trisheds30 said:

Using an extension cord defeats the safety features of an EVSE, by creating a long run of cable that may not be fault-protected, which people may come into contact with, and a connection that might be exposed to water, etc... Also, the EVSE manufacturer has no way to prevent the user from using an extension that is dangerously undersized, worn, or otherwise unsuitable for continuous high-power loads. The user might leave the excess cord tightly coiled, presenting another danger. An extension cord adds another physical connection, which is another potential source of heat buildup and fire danger if the contacts are not tight and clean.

This is not to say I would never use an extension , but I would be quite careful to use one of more-than-adequate gauge and not of excessive length. I'd make sure that it was not in a location to present a hazard to children or unaware adults. I'd make sure it wasn't a tripping hazard. I wouldn't leave excess cord tightly coiled. I'd make sure the connection was not exposed to water. I'd always keep in mind that the cord was "live", even if the car was not charging. I would only use as a temporary measure. I would not use an extension cord as a permanent solution.

pkulak said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Or you can just plug your Leaf into that little outlet on the end of a string of Christmas lights, that works too.

I literally laughed out loud at that one. Just get yourself a cheater plug and go for it!

It's only a matter of time until someone hot-wires a porch light. Get one of these babies, cut the ground pin off the plug and you're good to go.

th

Even better, get one of these, charge two cars at once and still have the porch light working!

th

Many of you know this already, but please allow me to state a critical fact. Any wire carrying current will heat up. Fat wire will not heat up much. But copper is expensive, so extension cords with fat wire are expensive. A light-duty extension cord (16 gauge) running the 12A of the Leaf EVSE will heat up significantly. It isn't safe. Extension cords with 14 gauge wire are rated to 15 amps for runs up to 50 feet, but as someone mentioned, a 12 gauge extension cord is even better and gives you a little bit more safety margin.

Also, a worn out cord or outlet can heat up excessively, because the connection can have significant resistance. I found this myself when I plugged my EVSE into a home outlet and noticed that the outlet front was getting quite warm. I took off the plastic cover and measured that the outlet itself was 30 degrees hotter than the room air! So I replaced that with a new, quality outlet, and now I only see 6 degrees of outlet heating.

I doubt that the outlets on cheap extension cords are made well enough to operate safely at high current after being plugged and unplugged hundreds of times. And wear and tear can cause the connection inside the cord, between the wire and the outlet, to fray and raise resistance. So if you're buying a cord for frequent use, this may not be the time to be cheap.

For more detailed advice, see:
http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonlyres/5EF31BDA-6D5C-4599-90A6-1D6DC9F32CBC/0/Pg94_Wire_Gauge.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob

Do be careful about allowing a receptacle on an extension cord to sit out in the weather when not in use. It will corrode a bit inside, and then the plug/receptacle will heat up when in use due to a higher-resistance contact. I had one basically melt such that I couldn't unplug the EVSE without yanking the pins out of the plug. I replaced each end with a water-tight plug/receptacle from Lowe's.

Safety will be much improved when one is able to use a dedicated outlet which is protected by the new Dual Function CAFI and GFCI 20a circuit breakers, such as should soon be available from Square D. But extension cords will still remain problematic, as already explained by others.

Back