15 of 500 is not a BORG designation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15of500

I just arrived here (this website) due to the great guys I met at the Cerritos Home Town Buffet.
How GREAT are these guys???
They gave me a standing ovation for being the only driver of a Coda EV they have ever met.
That's pretty GREAT!!!

And talk about making me feel at home… They really take the cake.
We discussed everything EV and more.
It was great to find a group of folks as interested in EV's as I am.
They checked out my car, I checked out their's.
It was the best time I have had in a long time.
I had only been an EV owner for 4 days at that point, but I have been looking at EV's for months.

FYI:
I tried to register at this forum a couple of weeks ago, but I ran into all kinds of problems.
Even my emails to the admin got bounced back to me.

But I tried again today, and WALA here I am.

By the way, 15of500 is not a BORG designation.
My Coda was the 15th Coda off the assembly line.

Coda Automotive intended to include the Premium Package on the First 500 Codas at no extra charge.
This gesture was intended to demonstrate to Early Adopters that there was a benefit to being an Early Adopter.
Since Coda Automotive only built approximately 250 cars prior to going out of business, every car manufactured includes the Premium Package.
Each Coda has a plaque above the gear shift indicator, indicating its place in the assembly line.
Hence the designation: 15 of 500.

I went with the Coda because I needed the 125 mile range.
I have a 90 mile daily commute (LA to OC), and no charging stations at my office.
With the Coda, I can complete my round-trip commute with miles left on the range meter.
Of course, there is no warranty, zero support, but I'm willing to deal with that.
I got a great deal on this (Previously Owned) car.
I LOVE driving this car.

So all I can say is, it's great to be here!

Rick

I have seen my only Coda several times on the 91 near Euclid. Someone must use it to commute. Sadly, since I retired I rarely travel in that area.

Welcome Mike!

I'm the one who exchanged phone #'s with you and talked about extra on board charger units. Glad you found your way here! There's another meet coming up in a few weeks at the same place so hopefully you can join us again! Having a CODA in the group is very cool now!

Cheers!
Jason

Sorry to be MIA. Can't believe how busy I've been.
I've been filling in for a sick co-worker, among other things.

@JasonA, of course I remember you.
err... just one thing, Mike is my bother, I'm Rick.
I should have properly signed that post; I've corrected that post.

As of today, I have been a proud owner of an ALL-Electric CODA for a full month.
I've put 3k miles on it at a total cost of just over $10 for e-fuel.
I'll need to double check my total fees at Blink & ChargePoint to be more accurate.
There are a lot of nice folks along my commute that will let me charge for free.
My favorite places are the AAA office & Nissan Dealer in OC.
Both are less than a mile from my home.

EPA's official range for the CODA is 88 mi.
I'd like to know what those folks are on.
I consistently get a daily range of 115 miles @ 55mph of freeway driving.
Also, I don't get a lot of ReGen on the freeway, during the hours I travel.
When fully charged my meters tell me I have a starting range of 133mi.
If I drive at 50mph consistently on my freeway commute of 90 miles, at the end of my commute I will still have 30-40 miles of range on the meter.
Of course, if I put the petal to the metal, I can get my range down to 85 miles.
Does the EPA advise me to obliterate the speed limit to achieve their range estimates?

I'm looking forward to the next gathering.
Please keep me apprised of dates, times & locations.
Thanks
Rick

welcome to the forum. very eager to hear about the longevity of the car. have you installed or are thinking of putting in additional battery monitoring equipment?

I too am interested to know its longevity.
The car is just over 2 years old, and had less than 12k miles when I bought it.
I've added 3k+.
The meter tells me I have 133 miles when it is fully charged.
I hadn't thought of it, but some additional battery monitoring equipment might prove useful.
I'll have to look into that. Any suggestions?

Rick

Welcome to MNL! I work with some of the old Coda engineers who I'm sure would be pleased to hear that someone is getting good use out of one of 250 (or 15of500 as it may be!)

Not encouraging you to do any maximum range trips to test your batteries since they probably do more harm than good but what is the farthest you have driven on a charge? never mind what the car says, what is the range YOU are comfortable with?

@DaveInOlyWA
As I am sure you are aware, range is directly related to speed of operation.

I took the range meter down to 1 mile when I first got the car due to some issues with the charging port.
Someone had broken off the collar of the J1772 of the Level 1 charger (that came with the car) in the charging port.
I did not know it was there, so it prevented me from plugging in at a public charger, till I figured it out.

When I left the car at my friend's it had 6 miles on the meter.
When I picked it up the next morning it had 3.
By the time I got to the closest charger it had 1.
Unfortunately, since I had just received the car, I had no data regarding the last charge or mileage.

I keep very good records, so I know what my range has been, prior to every charge since then.
I have taken the car down to 3 miles twice, and 6 miles once, so that should give a good indication of actual max range.

Of course, since the Coda's do not have cruise control, a specific speed can not be accurately maintained.
However, generally speaking:
50 mph ~ 130 miles
55 mph ~ 115 miles
65 mph ~ 100 miles
75 mph ~ 85 miles

I will have to check my records & get back to you with the details.
Rick

@GregH
You can let your Coda engineer friends know, I am enjoying the hell out of my slightly used Coda.
So much so, I purchased a 2nd, NEW Coda last week.
I am now the proud owner of 15 of 500 & 115 of 500.
15 had almost 12k when I bought it, 115 had 2.
15 will be going to my brother and will serve as my backup, if I need it.
Neither car has a warranty, so I will buy a glider as my warranty.

By the way, 15 is the dark gray, & 115 is silver.
My other car is 115 of 500, no wait; my other car is 15 of 500, No Wait!
I'm so confused! :lol:

@ DaveinOlyWA

I have been driving my first 2 Codas for a year now and although 1 year does not really meet the criteria for longevity, it seems like an appropriate time to report on the performance of these vehicles over the past year.

I have not noticed any degradation in range or performance of either Coda.

C15 has over 20k miles on it now, & C115 has over 10k miles.
C15 started w/~12k miles & C115 started w/10 miles.
When C15 is fully charged it still reports an available range of 133 miles.
When C115 is fully charged it still reports an available range of 155 miles.
If I drive 50-55 mph I can achieve those ranges.

To date, I have not encountered any mechanical issues with either of these Codas.
I am very satisfied with their performance this first year, and look forward to the same in subsequent years.

However, I can not say the same for C54 which I purchase on eBay Motors Jan/2015.
It lied to me regarding available range & ran out of energy 100 yards from my home.
I had not tested the range of C54, so did not know what it would do.

Despite it's deception I did not get angry, but I WILL get even. :lol:
It will be the first Coda I disassemble for parts to convert the SSR to HVR.

very glad to hear things are going well. and I think you have to go a few more before any quantitative determination of range degradation can be made. I have 22,000 miles on my 2013 LEAF and LEAF Spy says I have lost range but the other day, I did 91 miles and still had a bit to spare so if I have, its not been much.

By the way, 15of500 is not a BORG designation.
My Coda was the 15th Coda off the assembly line.

That's exactly what a Borg would say though.

Have you ever injured a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm?

Do you obey orders given by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law?

Do you protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law?

I Mean... I'm just saying..................

borg

Back