charging questions/temporary set up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefrog

Hello all

I am contemplating getting a Leaf SV and have spent time educating myself here (great info) but feel the need to start, yes, one more thread to make sure that I am not missing anything obvious

for background, while I have a garage where I could install a Level 2 charging station, we're going to tear the garage down soon and so i will be w/o a garage/a spot to do things "right" for a while. So I am trying to figure out what a temp solution could look like and what bits and parts would be needed. Here is my thinking to date:

- do the EVSE Upgrade to be able to use the default cord on a 220v outlet
- use a 220V outlet in the main house and run an extension cord to the driveway. Not pretty, but would that be safe? if so, what type of extension cord would I need (i.e. gauge etc) and what kind of adapter would be needed to get the cord hooked up to the Leaf?

Am I missing anything? or is there a more elegant way to achieve a similar result?

Thanks!

F

For temporary use an extension cord is fine IMO. You need a L6-30 to connect with the evseupgrade. The other end will depend on what you plug into. Keep the cord away from being a trip hazard.

If driving 40 miles per day or less you may get by on 120v L1 just fine.

smkettner said:
For temporary use an extension cord is fine IMO. You need a L6-30 to connect with the evseupgrade. The other end will depend on what you plug into. Keep the cord away from being a trip hazard.

If driving 40 miles per day or less you may get by on 120v L1 just fine.

+1 on this.

Think about what speed you would like/need to charge. There are other options than just upgrading your existing EVSE. If you would like to take the leaf on longer trips you may consider the JESLA or other alternatives that can charge your Leaf at the full 6.6kw when a DCQC L3 is not available. Many small businesses have 240v outlets that may let you get $1.00 of electricity while you grab a burger or coffee if other EVSEs are not available or convenient.

Another option besides using an extension cord is to consider a quick240 device where two 120V outlets on different phases can be combined to provide 240V. You'll likely be able to find 2 of these outlets in your garage (they would have to be non-GCFI outlets). The disadvantage is that maximum current is limited by the individual 120V outlets which are typically 15A or 20A; this means 240V charging will be between 12A-16A. Here's the thread to make your own: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4330&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back