Leaf key no start problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBoudart

New owner of a used Leaf. I've got a key or charging problem.
When I have either of my 2 keys in the car, press my foot on the brake, and push on,
the symbol on dash comes up saying that it does not detect the key--so can't start it!
What's going on?? Please advise!
Beau

According to the manual you can use the fob in transponder mode by holding it up to the button. If this does not work you may have the wrong fobs. Does the key fit the door?

mwalsh said:
But you usually get plenty of warning from the car that the fob batteries are dying (though we have had reports of some not seeing them).
I've noticed that the fob batteries are also subject to temperature. When the battery was getting low and I took the fob out of a drawer (my house temperature is rather low in winter) I saw the battery low message on the dash. If it had been in my pocket and warmed up for a time I didn't see the message. For awhile. So, something as simple as a temperature change can lead to a fob behavior change, FWIW.

GlennD said:
According to the manual you can use the fob in transponder mode by holding it up to the button. If this does not work you may have the wrong fobs. Does the key fit the door?
+1......I had to replace the fob batteries on my 2011 yesterday. Before I inserted the new battery, I just held the fob up to the start button, and the power came right on when I pushed the start button.. FYI, the "key not detected" mssg on the dash also showed that my fob battery was discharged (short black graph). I got a set of 3 new panasonic batteries (expiration date 5/2015) for $6.00, including shipping on EBAY. Don't go to the dealer with these types of issues---unless you want to get rid of some money.

I know this is an old thread but this worked for me. Apply the brake and push the start button with the end of the key that has the Nissan logo on it.

Back