Blocking auto headlight sensor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan43209

I would like to have daytime running lights on all the time automatically. Does anyone know if I could block the light sensor for the headlights so that the car thinks it's always dark and has the lights on? I realize I could turn the lights on and off manually, but my last car had automatic lights and so I got spoiled and used to that.
Thanks

Susan, mine stay on at the Auto setting. I'm thinking I probably have a defective sensor. For yours, you can cover the sensor located on the right dash towards the windshield.

Susan43209 said:
I would like to have daytime running lights on all the time automatically. Does anyone know if I could block the light sensor for the headlights so that the car thinks it's always dark and has the lights on? I realize I could turn the lights on and off manually, but my last car had automatic lights and so I got spoiled and used to that.
Thanks
Lots of people are working on this, check out the thread here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, we need to figure out which wire needs to be hooked up (via a fuse) to enable daytime running lights. In Canada this is already done from Nissan, so we just need to reverse-engineer the solution for us stateside...

DarkStar, she's not talking about adding drls. She wants to use her LED headlights during the day without having to turn on and off the switch.

Susan43209 said:
Thanks
I don't see why that wouldn't work, although it will be ugly and you will have to use something pretty opaque to keep bright sunlight out.

I believe your dash lights will change if you cover the sensor. NAV will be dark in the day.

LEAFfan said:
DarkStar, she's not talking about adding drls. She wants to use her LED headlights during the day without having to turn on and off the switch.
But her first sentence is "I would like to have daytime running lights on all the time automatically."

If you just leave the light control in the "ON" position (not "AUTO"), won't they stay on all the time, except when you turn the car off (turning off based on the interval set in the settings)? That way the light sensor will still work for dash brightness.

Computerizer said:
If you just leave the light control in the "ON" position (not "AUTO"), won't they stay on all the time, except when you turn the car off (turning off based on the interval set in the settings)? That way the light sensor will still work for dash brightness.

Yeah, but then she won't be able to use her headlight timer. Some people like to leave them on for a bit after they exit their car.

Computerizer said:
Is there a delay and automatic off when the headlight switch is in the ON position. Don't think so - on the '11, just get an angry tone when trying to exit with the headlights or parking lights ON - not AUTO.

Thank you all. I basically want daytime running lights. Thanks for the reminder to be aware of which sensor I might cover and whether the nav screen changes. I will read the other threads about DRLs. I realize I can just keep the lights on and turn them off when I leave the car, but was hoping for something more automatic.

Susan43209 said:
Thank you all. I basically want daytime running lights. Thanks for the reminder to be aware of which sensor I might cover and whether the nav screen changes. I will read the other threads about DRLs. I realize I can just keep the lights on and turn them off when I leave the car, but was hoping for something more automatic.

Do you mind if I ask why do you need lights during daytime?

leafwing said:
Pretty clear to me. She wants DRLs, as do many folks. I wouldn't drive without them, so have added them to my LEAF.

Regarding wanting DRLs (hope this helps): In the 2013 Leaf Owner's Manual, p 2-44:

Daytime running light system (for Canada)

The daytime running lights automatically illuminate
when the power switch is in the READY to
drive position with the parking brake released.
The daytime running lights operate with the headlight
switch in the OFF position. Turn headlight
switch to the [low beam indicator icon (last position)] position for full illumination
when driving at night.
If the parking brake is applied before the power
switch is in the READY to drive position, daytime
running lights do not operate. The daytime running
lights illuminate once the parking brake is
released. The daytime running lights will remain
on until the power switch is pushed to the OFF
position.

If this is what Susan43209 is looking for, maybe there is a relatively simple fix based on the Canadian Leaf...

leafwing said:
The idea is to increase the visibility of your vehicle (not to help you see better) and thus improve safety.

The claim is dubious (PDF) as a general rule, and you're probably better off using normal headlights when it starts to get a little dark/overcast out since they do very little on sunny days.

In other words, the statistics say the automatic headlights are probably just as good as full-time DRL but use less energy.
=Smidge=

When I had my Prius, it did not have automatic headlights or daytime running lights -- however, I wanted my lights to be on all the time for safety. So I developed the habit of turning them on whenever I turned the car on, and turning them off whenever I turned the car off. It easily became a part of my routine when getting in the car (Buckle seat belt, press brake pedal, press power button, turn on headlights, release parking brake, shift to reverse/drive, check surroundings, release brake pedal). I never really considered it that big of a deal.

So where is that sensor?

At winter we are required to have the headlights on during the day.

I would like to cover the sensor so it always thinks it's dark.

Also I checked quite a few sensors none seemed to be the one responsible for the headlights.

Where did they hide it?!

lowspeed said:
So where is that sensor?

At winter we are required to have the headlights on during the day.

I would like to cover the sensor so it always thinks it's dark.

Also I checked quite a few sensors none seemed to be the one responsible for the headlights.

Where did they hide it?!

Sensor is on top of dash on passenger side.

Gerry

Back