Static electricity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalsnpals

I have found recently that static electricity is built up and I am getting shocked every time I exit the car. Does anyone know what I can add to car or where I should touch before exiting. It occurs when I get out and go to shut the door.

Thanks

Try spraying your tires' sidewalls with anti-static spray. Mebbe your tires are too clean to provide enough of a discharge path to ground.

It hasn't quite gone away for me after 1-1/2 years. Regularly when I get out and touch the key to the mailbox, there is a small blue spark. But the significant static shocks have diminished.

Maybe try spraying the cloth seats or carpet with some anti static spray such as this:

http://www.target.com/p/static-guard-anti-static-spray-5-5-oz/-/A-13294243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't get any better. A significant nuisance about 40% to 60% of the time.
Apparently a strange side effect of the recycled material cloth seats.
One of the 2 or 3 really annoying things about the 2011 / 2012 LEAF.
Maybe 2013 LEAF with leather seats will be better.

It's the worst during the winter months when the humidity levels are low. I've lessened the shock I get when I get out of the car by grabbing the top of the door opening to hoist myself out of the car as I get up. This reduces the amount of dragging I do against the seat cloth which is when the buildup really occurs. I still get shocked, but not as bad. I've had some real zingers!

It's almost been enough for me to get leather installed. And it's almost enough for me to upgrade to a 2013 SL. But I'm disappointed the leather only comes in black. I like light colored interiors.

I get a shock from theLEAF steering wheel as I use it to push out of my seat, every time I get out of the LEAF. But I used to get a wicked shock when reaching to close the door on my 2001 VW Passat in the winter too. I'm just used to it now. :eek:

It's God-awful annoying, every time I shut the door after getting out. I actually think about how bad it might be before touching the door, it's so routine now. Who knew that the simple act of closing the door would give you a dose of electro-shock therapy!? :x

It gives a whole new meaning to "electric car." Please - make it stop. :(

See this thread for the same issue with the solution...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this thread with no particular solution
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My solution was, before getting leather upgrade to the interior, is just vigorously rub a clothes dryer sheet on the seat. The antistatic will last a while...

In the Winter when the air is dry, I have the habit of keeping my hand on a grounded part of the car body before and during the time I am climbing out of the car. The static drains off my body as quickly as it is created by friction with the seat, so I don't get a big nasty spark. The bare metal door latch on the car body that is exposed when you open the door works well for this.

If I ever suspect that I am about to get a static shock from something, I grab a metallic object from my pocket (key, flashlight, coin, etc) and use that to touch the object (usually a door handle.) The large surface area of my skin in contact with the metal spreads out the area being shocked and greatly reduces the discomfort of the shock.

All of my cars have done this to me always. Shocks calf muscle just as foot reaches ground, & other places/times. I guess it's another "special" thing about living in Utah where the humidity is about 5% when it's pouring rain! At least our sparks won't be igniting any fumes from the dinosaur juice store.
ML

Wet Okole seat covers (neoprene) did the (static free) trick for me! The workmanship on their product is excellent, and they are vehicle specific constructed to allow for safe airbag (front seat) deployment. My 2011 Leaf did not come with heated seats (they were not available at that time), but I bought front seat heaters (also from Wet Okole) for both front seats (powered one at a time via the accessory power outlet) which are just under the seat covers. However, I note that both the 2012 and 2013 Leaf Owner's Manuals have this seat warmer warning (~p. 2-47) that relates to seat covers in general:

"• Do not use the seat heater for extended
periods or when no one is using
the seat.
• Do not put anything on the seat which
insulates heat, such as a blanket,
cushion, seat cover, etc. Otherwise,
the seat may become overheated."

So you need to take this into consideration when buying seat covers, i.e. together with the original seat covering do additional seat covers insulate the seat heaters too much?

Still getting shocks after almost two years and I get some relief by placing the calf of my left leg against the door frame when exiting. This can reduces the shock intensity and sometimes you feel multiple discharges as you slide to exit the car. And I wear mostly cotton but the tribo electric properties of those seats are impressive. I find some humor in the car is always reminding me it is an electric car...

Me too. I installed a grounded rubber static strap under the car; it made no noticeable difference. I'm always wearing cotton. Maybe if I switched to polyester?

Sorry to hear the grounding strap didn't help. I was considering trying that.
The shock from 2011 LEAF seats can be interesting.
Normally I park in the garage, and the concrete is damp enough that you get the charge the moment you touch the metal of the car.
But the other day I parked on the hot dry driveway.
I got the shock when my hair brushed against tree leaves of a tree next to the driveway. :D :eek: :shock:

Back