locked rear hatch?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunger

I think I pressed a combination of buttons that locked me out of my rear hatch. Can someone help me.
Things that I've tried:
-clicking and double clicking fob unlock.
-clicking and double clicking door unlock.
Help please.. :?: :!:

If you have the key fob with you, a push on the hatch button will beep and unlock it. I know this because I always forget, and try to open it when it's locked. A second push will open it as usual. If yours beeps but doesn't open, there may actually be a defective part.

mwalsh said:
I'm not aware you can do this. Have you tried pushing the little nub/button next to the hatch door handle?
Yes.I've tried that. Actually,I thought might have been what started the problem. That button is working to lock/unlock the other doors. Just not the hatchback.

hunger said:
mwalsh said:
I'm not aware you can do this. Have you tried pushing the little nub/button next to the hatch door handle?
Yes.I've tried that. Actually,I thought might have been what started the problem. That button is working to lock/unlock the other doors. Just not the hatchback.
And you're pushing the large button next to that little nub-button to open the rear hatch?

DarkStar said:
hunger said:
mwalsh said:
And you're pushing the large button next to that little nub-button to open the rear hatch?
Fair question. Yes,I'm pushing the larger button. It was working before.

If you have the fbb, the battery is good, and you press the large button (sometimes twice needs),the hatch should unlatch. if this isn't happening, you have a fault condition. The large button is the one on the left.

-Phil

This can be tricky:

The smaller button on the right is the lock/unlock button.
This button, like a door button, never works unless you are within range of a keyfob.
It will not work to open the hatch.

The larger button on the left is the hatch release button.
If your keyfob is not within range and the doors are locked, this button will not open the hatch.
If your keyfob is not within range and the doors are unlocked, this button should work to open the hatch.
If your keyfob is within range, pushing the big button should unlock and open the hatch automatically.

If it's not working like that, you may need to take it in as there may be a defect.

hunger said:
Is there a manual emergency hatch release inside the car somewhere?
Not so far as I can tell. It's amazing how complicated something so seemingly simple can get. Pushing that bigger left side button closes a switch which a computer (BCM) is monitoring. It checks that the doors are all unlocked, or else activates the unlocking logic, involving the rear intelligent key sensor. It also checks that the car is not moving. If it is satisfied it sends a signal to a motor that unlocks the door. I guess the switch could fail, or the motor could fail, or a fuse could blow so the motor has no power. But the computer could also get into an illogical state. In fact the service manual has this warning:
NOTE:
• When 12V battery terminal is disconnected and reconnected during all doors unlock state, back door may not open.
• Regardless of door lock actuator state, BCM resets recognition of all doors unlock state approximately 30 seconds after 12V battery terminal is disconnected and BCM recognizes that all doors are in lock state.
• When 12V battery terminal is reconnected and back door does not open, have BCM recognize that all doors are in unlock state.
I'll leave the interpretation of that translated text for someone else to decipher, but I have a suspicion that "have BCM recognize" might involve the Consult tool.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I'll leave the interpretation of that translated text for someone else to decipher, but I have a suspicion that "have BCM recognize" might involve the Consult tool.

Ray
This means use your fob, Mechanical Key, or hit the "unlock" button inside the car. You could also do it with Consult if you wanted to waste time. :lol: But if you can use consult, you are already in the Car! ;)

-Phil

hunger said:
Is there a manual emergency hatch release inside the car somewhere?
Not per-se, but if you feel like pulling off the back plastic cover, (difficult if not impossible with the hatch closed), yes, you could manually pull the latch easily.

-Phil

I was able to open the hatch manually by opening the plastic cover on the inside and pushing the white lever. I took this step because I wanted to see if something was stuck in the latch or if it wasn't closing properly.
I discovered that it looks fine mechanically, opens and closes with the manual lever. There is just some sort of relay disconnect or something.
I am just trying to avoid the warranty fix hassle. Maybe I'm out of luck???

Ingineer said:
But if you can use consult, you are already in the Car! ;)
What's this? You mean you can't connect Consult without loading some large machine through the rear hatch? :lol:

[Just funning you, Phil. He wasn't locked out of the car, as his latest post demonstrated. He just couldn't open the hatch.]

Ray

I had received my brand new Leaf at dealership and on day 1 and trunk opens fine. Get home at night and trunk refuses to open at all.
Next day trunk opens fine then at evening time trunk refused again to release. Decide to try a test by parking in the sun to prove to myself that it may be related to the temperature. Turned out it was!
I figured a lose connector that was effected by thermal expansion and contraction as during the day things warmed up at night cooled down. When I brought it to the dealership to work on of course it worked so I parked it in the shade and in a windy area with the hatch open for about 20 min. then closed it and sure enough it would not open fortunately so I could prove to Nissan it was truly an issue to deal with. The mechanic confirmed the issue and fixed it with re-connecting it in the area directly behind the latch their is a small access hatch and that's where he reseated the connector. The diagnostics testing proved no signal was being receive at the central control unit and so to troubleshot from their was as easy way to isolate and fix.

I am updating this thread now that my hatch is fixed.
I took it to the dealership yesterday and they verified that it was a disconnected (or maybe he said 'loose') wire near the hatch handle. They were able to identify and fix the problem within about 45 minutes. No cost because still under warranty.
With the comments by 'DannyAmes', I wonder if there is an issue with these connection coming loose, or if thermal expansion could be a common problem. I think my Leaf has been in WA its entire active life. It's probably no big deal. I haven't seen mention of this issue much on these boards.
Anyways, I can get the stuff out of my hatch again :D

This might work if the outside switch is faulty. Don`t know if it works if something else is wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZnio-o7F8

The slotted hole on the inside lower portion of the" back door lower finisher" provides access to the latch . You can use the same slotted screwdriver that you carry with you ( the one to unlock the evse handle from the charge port if it does't work) to open the hatch. You will have to lower a back seat to get in there. NOTE: I own a 13, I hope the slot is there on earlier models, can anyone confirm?

Back