Concerns about older Leafs (Leaves?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even Nissan can make the mechanical parts of a car last over 150k miles. A LEAF purchase is ALL about the battery

SageBrush said:
Even Nissan can make the mechanical parts of a car last over 150k miles. A LEAF purchase is ALL about the battery

Agreed. And why I would say cross any 2011/2012 Leaf off your used purchase list unless the battery has already been replaced with a new pack with more recent battery chemistry, i.e. a pack made after 4/13.

Dooglas said:
SageBrush said:

Agreed. And why I would say cross any 2011/2012 Leaf off your used purchase list unless the battery has already been replaced with a new pack with more recent battery chemistry, i.e. a pack made after 4/13.
Yep.

And I at least do not know how the battery performance declines after losing 50% of capacity. There may be a cliff.

Dooglas said:

I would personally hold out for a 2015 pack. I'm not sure I trust the 2013 tweaks so much.

Dooglas said:
SageBrush said:

Yes, I agree that this seems to be the right way to go.

Changing tack slightly, I started looking at the Volt. Similar ages and mileage. Looked like a much better deal, ~45 miles on a charge, then engine takes over.....perfect. A Leaf with much better range! Prius+!!

And then I found out it takes 23kwh to charge it. Even in Florida with 10c/kwh, that's a gallon of gas at today's prices. So 45 miles/gallon....worse than a Prius if you have to pay to charge it - which I will as I don't commute. Agreed, once gas gets up to $3/gallon things will more than even out, but even so that was a surprise.

Off to see the 64k mile 2013 Leaf S with replacement battery pack this afternoon.....

bocarat said:
Changing tack slightly, I started looking at the Volt. Similar ages and mileage. Looked like a much better deal, ~45 miles on a charge, then engine takes over.....perfect. A Leaf with much better range! Prius+!!

And then I found out it takes 23kwh to charge it. Even in Florida with 10c/kwh, that's a gallon of gas at today's prices. So 45 miles/gallon....worse than a Prius if you have to pay to charge it - which I will as I don't commute. Agreed, once gas gets up to $3/gallon things will more than even out, but even so that was a surprise.
Yes, it does and the number doesn't make sense. The 2010-2015 Volt has a 16 kwh battery pack and the 2016-present Volt has an 18.4 kwh battery pack.

Dooglas said:
bocarat said:

Yes, it does and the number doesn't make sense. The 2010-2015 Volt has a 16 kwh battery pack and the 2016-present Volt has an 18.4 kwh battery pack.

@Dooglas, is that right though, a 16kwh battery pack takes 16kwh to charge it? What about losses?

I went to see the local 2013. How do I post images here from Leaf Spy - do I have to have them hosted somewhere?

bocarat said:
@Dooglas, is that right though, a 16kwh battery pack takes 16kwh to charge it? What about losses?

I went to see the local 2013. How do I post images here from Leaf Spy - do I have to have them hosted somewhere?

There is some resistance loss in charging all right. I have seen an estimate of resistance loss through the EVSE and the on-board transformer of perhaps 2-3%. On the other hand you are not charging the pack up from zero because it never gets down to zero. That was what made me say the number you quoted seems too high. (there are plenty of number geeks on this site, one should along with a more detailed answer)

The FAQs menu at the top of the page has answers to questions about posting, links, images, documents, etc.

Back