Looking for a 2nd Hand Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has identified the following points, I will talk about the elephant in the room.... No one has identified useful advice about getting a "good car" they talk about the car with "good options".. Of course the more cool stuff you can get on the car you buy, the better, but that is not the focus of buying a good used car...

First so many people are obsessed by trim levels, accessories, and heat pumps... Those are not things to confuse a new buyer with. Those things do nothing to getting a good car, and actually raise the price of the car to stupid high prices...

Also, speaking of price, I WILL NOT PAY almost $17,000 on a 4-5 year old Leaf... That is dumb stupid.... You can buy a NEW Leaf with all of the benefits (at the right time of the year of course) for $20-22K. SO where is the benefit of buying these used, over priced depreciated assets...

powersurge said:
First so many people are obsessed by trim levels, accessories, and heat pumps... Those are not things to confuse a new buyer with. Those things do nothing to getting a good car, and actually raise the price of the car to stupid high prices...
To each his own. I previously leased a '13 SV w/both packages. I own a used '13 SV w/premium that I bought before returning the leased car. Since I enjoy the Bose stereo (n/a on S), use the nav system (n/a on S), use Carwings/NissanConnect (n/a on S), use the cruise control (was NOT on the S trim until model year '15), use B mode (also not in S trim until '15), use Bluetooth A2DP music streaming several days of the week (n/a on S), use the charging timers (it sucks on the S trim to set them besides having less functionality) and LOVE Around View Monitor (n/a on S), I would find the S trim unacceptable.

The hybrid heat pump heater (in the temps where it's effective) is more efficient than the resistive heater.

The 6.6 kW OBC (standard on SV and SL, part of the charge package on S) makes a difference for me almost every single day. It lets me start charging later at work, tying up our infrastructure at work less, pick up juice more quickly if I go somewhere and come back to work, and pick up juice more quickly from free public L2 charging.

I listened to the base SV/SL stereo when I was originally in the market vs. Bose and immediately decided I wanted the Bose. The S was already ruled out due to lack of CC and a worse stereo than the base SV/SL stereo.

If I downgraded from my '13 SV w/both packages to an S, that would be a stupid move and I'd be kicking myself.

It is important that a shopper knows what's available in terms of trims, options/packages and what's standard/optional to decide what they want/value. To ignore it or just buy the cheapest trim could result in making a big expensive mistake and having major regrets.

It was $1K to $1.5K more to get a car w/the quick charge (CHAdeMO inlet) + LED headlights package. I didn't feel the CHAdeMO inlet was worth it given the CHAdeMO charging prices in my area at the time (more expensive than fueling my Prius), so I decided against it. And, I'd used the CHAdeMO inlet only 16 times in 2 years on my leased car on 3 free DC FCs that were no longer free.
powersurge said:
Also, speaking of price, I WILL NOT PAY almost $17,000 on a 4-5 year old Leaf... That is dumb stupid.... You can buy a NEW Leaf with all of the benefits (at the right time of the year of course) for $20-22K. SO where is the benefit of buying these used, over priced depreciated assets...
Those are in Canadian dollars. $17K CAD is about $13K USD, which is still on the high side. https://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/releases/2018-nissan-leaf-canadian-pricing?page=2&query are new '18 Leaf prices. I don't know their tax incentive situation up there.

Sure, when there are incentives on S trims and you can take the $7500 Federal tax credit, that'll bring the price after US Federal tax credit but before sales tax to somewhere around $20K to $22K but that might be impossible for someone in Canada.

In the US, Nissan dealers have high markups on used cars.

OP can get an idea of US used prices at https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?sort=priceasc&auto_make_model=nissan%20leaf&max_auto_year=2015&min_auto_year=2013. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825 is what I paid for my '13 SV w/premium back in July 2015.

Unfortunately, I don't know the process but found https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how-to-import-a-car-from-the-u-s-into-canada. I'd imagine one would need to pay import duties (and that would be built into the price of Leafs imported from the US) + make some modifications that Canada requires. Then, there's the issue of odometer being in miles and any warranty hassles since US cars have a US warranty...

Wow, guys!

This information is awesome. Thanks so much to everyone who's contributed.

Yes, my pricing is CAN$ - sorry for the confusion. Yes, they are higher than the US equivalent, but that's just the way it goes, I guess.

So - I'm moving towards an older model with a higher trim level. Sounds good.

I have LeafSpy installed on my phone, and an adaptor. What EXACTLY am I looking for? How will I use LeafSpy to determine whether the battery is any good or not?

Also, how many different charging options does the Leaf have? What do I want, ideally? (I'm in a rental house, so I can pull a standard 120V cable to the car every night. The landlord has also said I can have anything I want installed as long as it's done by a qualified electrician.

My daily journey is likely to be less than 40 miles, and there's no charging other than at home.

jadrake said:
Also, how many different charging options does the Leaf have? What do I want, ideally? (I'm in a rental house, so I can pull a standard 120V cable to the car every night. The landlord has also said I can have anything I want installed as long as it's done by a qualified electrician.

My daily journey is likely to be less than 40 miles, and there's no charging other than at home.

At 3 miles per kWh and 40 miles a day you would need 13 kWh per day. At roughly 1kWh per hour into the battery with 120V "L1" charging, so that would likely work, as long are you are home for over 12 hours per day. You would not have any spare for taking the LEAF out for shopping/dinner/entertainment at night.

As you are renting, it is harder to justify a 240V L2 installation. It would be more convenient, and would allow more use of the LEAF and perhaps less gasoline at CAD$1.53 per liter. Yet your time view is limited by how long you are likely to live there. Installing a 240V outlet cost me USD$321. You would also need a charging cable or charging station to plug into that outlet, which you could take with you. Something like this:

https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/lcs-30p-nema-14-30

You might consider having a 240 volt, 40-50 amp (a 30 amp dryer outlet will also work for a 20 amp station) range/welder outlet installed, and getting an inexpensive Clipper Creek (good brand, US-made, 3 year warranty) L-2 charging station for $400 - $500 USD. Then you get a compatible plug mounted on the station so you can take it with you when you move, and the landlord will have the wiring in place for another EV owner. Any Leaf can use an L-2 station, and depending on the amperage of the station, fully charge in 4 or 5 hours.

Ok, so I went and test-drove this baby tonight:

https://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/LEAF/Coquitlam/British+Columbia/5_39847040_/

It wasn't so much to check out that specific car, rather to see if I liked the LEAF concept. Conclusion: awesome!

My wife and I are going back to do a proper test-drive on this car on Tuesday. Would you guys mind telling me what SPECIFICALLY I should be looking for? I'll be taking along my LeafSpy tester.

I've already checked the following:

• It has 2 charge ports - a big one and a little one, and a light when you open the charge door.
    There's slight rusting around the 12V battery rack, mainly the clips that hold the battery in place.
    It has an SD card in the RH slot (nothing in the left).
    There is a 110V charge cable provided.

I'm definitely planning on negotiating - all in with taxes etc. it's around $20K off the lot and that's way too expensive. The salesman did let slip that they've had it for a couple of months. It's the only one there. The rest of the lot are gas-guzzlers! The salesman also said that I knew more about the car than he did!

So - what do you think? What should I ask and look for?

Thanks so much guys, you've been awesome!

Adam

Leafs never came with a sun roof. If there is one, it is aftermarket. Mileage is a little high, interior may be a little dirty and worn (hard to tell from photos). No Premium Package, just charge package, which you may not need but which does help resale a little. So it appears to be an SV with the Charge Package only (as I noted, you had to choose just one option package in 2014). See if you can drive one with Premium before buying, especially if either of you hates parking. Look for a LeafSpy SOH number above 90.0, and preferably above 92. My guess is that you will also think that you can do better.

Another reason to be familiar with the trim levels and equipment is that you know for certain you're getting what they claim it is. I can recall stories here of people believing they paid for ____ but it turns out they received a cheaper trim level, so they overpaid.

For example, for the US, if someone is trying to sell a '13 to '17 SL and it doesn't have black leather interior, it's not an SL. If someone tries to sell and SV or SL and it has no nav system and knobs for the stereo and HVAC, it's an S.

I've seen people who wanted a DC FC inlet, paid for the car and it turns out, it didn't have it.

Even if you're only interested in the base S, the used car dealer may not have it or you might get upsold and end up taking something higher. Don't get taken for a ride.

Another reason to be familiar with the trim levels and equipment is that you know for certain you're getting what they claim it is. I can recall stories here of people believing they paid for ____ but it turns out they received a cheaper trim level, so they overpaid.

When I was an older teen, and into cars (I was the star of my auto shop classes) one of my Great Uncles bought a new Chevrolet - his lifelong brand. He paid extra for what a salesman assured him was a turbocharged engine, but was in fact a run of the mill, normally aspirated V-6. When I informed him of this he became angry, and insisted that the car (a mid-trim Chevelle sedan, IIRC) had what he paid for. I never brought it up again.

Anyway, Leaf salescreatures, sometimes through ignorance, sometimes from greed, often misrepresent the features, and used car departments for other dealerships...well, it isn't pretty. Some listing errors are just simple errors, often because of limited listing tool options. The most common one of those is listing "CVT" as the transmission, even though the Leaf doesn't have any sort of ratio-changing transmission at all. A more malign example is listing a Leaf as having "Premium sound system" even though it doesn't have the Premium Package, and thus doesn't even have the better Leaf sound system, which is found only in that package. This appears to be to mislead people into thinking it has Premium Package. The most reliable way to tell if a car listed online has Premium is to look at photos of the Nissan emblem on the car's nose. If it has Premium, you will see a little round camera lens embedded in the bottom front of the emblem. If the emblem has no camera, the car has no Premium Package. Likewise if a Leaf has steel wheels with hubcaps, it is an S (unless the wheels were stolen and replaced with the cheapest replacements) and not an SV. Cwerdna mentioned the leather interior, found only in the SL (which sadly has no cloth option), and the S having no Nav / infotainment system.

jadrake said:
Wow, guys!

This information is awesome. Thanks so much to everyone who's contributed.

Yes, my pricing is CAN$ - sorry for the confusion. Yes, they are higher than the US equivalent, but that's just the way it goes, I guess.

So - I'm moving towards an older model with a higher trim level. Sounds good.

I have LeafSpy installed on my phone, and an adaptor. What EXACTLY am I looking for? How will I use LeafSpy to determine whether the battery is any good or not?

you should look for the SOH (state of health) value in the top of the screen of the leaf spy app: https://www.speakev.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1277.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy486%2Fcolinphillipson%2FNissan%2520LEAF%2520Acenta%2520Plus%2F0f25617e-1c10-4d45-a3b0-768900feaa2d_zpsdbokdice.png&hash=673ea6729bdefe1d9d39e77757c20e26

the other values are nice to know info that tells you how balanced the cells are, what temp they're at, how many Quick Charges they've done, etc.

I'm not sure. If so, you may have to ask a Nissan dealership to run it, or maybe the Nissan EV hotline. I can tell 90% of the time from photos if a car has Premium or not. If there is a clear side photo, look at the bottom of the rear view outside mirrors. Cars with premium have a little dome-like extrusion (again, a camera) and cars without it don't. Interior photos that show the infotainment center will show a "Camera" button under the lower left side of the screen if it has premium. No camera button, no Premium.

jadrake said:
Would you guys mind telling me what SPECIFICALLY I should be looking for? I'll be taking along my LeafSpy tester.

Whatever you see on LeafSpy, the battery is in worse shape that you suspected.

First LeafSpy page is all you need. For a 2014 in a mild climate, Bat Sts: AHr should be in the upper 50's. Hx should be in the mid 80's. SOH should be upper 80's, ideally close to 90. More is better, but much more leads to suspecting cheating of one sort or another. SOH of 100+ means recent reset or other means of increasing SOH, or a brand new battery (unlikely!).

Any other opinions?

WetEV said:
jadrake said:
Would you guys mind telling me what SPECIFICALLY I should be looking for? I'll be taking along my LeafSpy tester.

Whatever you see on LeafSpy, the battery is in worse shape that you suspected. Or at least that is what you tell the salesman.

First LeafSpy page is all you need. For a 2014 in a mild climate, Bat Sts: AHr should be in the upper 50's. Hx should be in the mid 80's. SOH should be upper 80's, ideally close to 90. More is better, but much more leads to suspecting cheating of one sort or another. SOH of 100+ means recent reset or other means of increasing SOH, or a brand new battery (unlikely!).

Any other opinions?

I went to look at two cars today (didn't drive, just examined). They were both 2013 SVs:

Car 1: CAN$18,250
59k, fast charge port, heated front and back seats, heated steering wheel. Not sure how to tell if there is a Bose sound system.

Car 2: CAN$19,684
29k, no fast charge port, heated front and back seats, heated steering wheel. Not sure how to tell if there is a Bose sound system. This car has the option of coming with a home charging unit, apparently - I didn't see it, but they said it was a 240V charging unit. This car currently only had 1 key and NO SD CARD. The salesman acknowledged that both would need to be sourced before it could be sold.

Thoughts?

I will revisit them both, for a drive and a LeafSpy inspection.

LeftieBiker said:
Look for a LeafSpy SOH number above 90.0, and preferably above 92.

At true 92.5% SOH, with ~72,000 km, you would be looking at losing the first battery capacity bar at 144,000 km, or perhaps a bit later. Only a few 2013 and 2014 cars have done this well or better. That's 90k miles for the USAians. Anything above this probably indicates a reset or use of other means of tricking the SOH estimate, or just doing things that raise SOH estimate.

Don't get excited about a high reading from LeafSpy, remember that LeafSpy can only read out an estimated SOH. Accuracy of that estimate isn't better than +-3%, even though LeafSpy reports 4 digits only the first 2 are meaningful.

Not enough info, although 29k miles (?) is generally preferable to twice that. Look above at my instructions for determining Premium Package. The Bose sound system is part of that package, always. If there is a 7" touch screen in the dash, it's an SV or SL. Just a normal looking stereo, it's an S.

EDIT: I read the slipped in post from WetEV, and there are still plenty of later '13 through '15 Leafs with a SOH of 90% or better. They will all come from cool climates - like most of Canada. That far North you can do better than high 80s, unless all of your cars are being shipped there from Hot climates.

Most Leafs in Vancouver are shipped from the States, usually Cali.

Both cars had alloys, 7" screens etc.

Is the only way to find out if there's a Bose to actually listen to it?

Sorry - just re-read your statements about the Premium package. I assume this includes the front camera beneath the emblem? None of these cars had such a camera.

Back