Considering an EV (Leaf SV and others)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gerry. The "expert install" quote from Amazon was $337 for "mounting" but then when I added the "I don't have a 240V outlet", the total became $500ish. Given what I've heard for 240V install quotes in the area, I was like that's pretty much on par. As in, really I'm paying for the 240V. There are a couple of 120V outlets outside the front door and I'd like the 240V to replace them and for the EVSE to sit right next to the 240V outlet. The breaker switch is on the other side of the wall about 6 feet away from the 120V outlets.

I'm very ignorant of these wiring matters. My home circuit had a max 40A switch in the breaker box and that's why I stepped away from the 50-60A versions:

RO4FiOk.jpg

From your picture we can't see your panel's main breaker, it would be centered above the top breakers. Also from looking at your panel, it's MAXED out! The only way you could get a 240v breaker in it would be to replace 2 of your 120v breakers with a dual breaker and then remove one of you 120v breakers and decommission that circuit. You'd need another 120v full sized breakers to be able to get by without decommissioning a circuit. Hopefully one of your porch outlets is dedicated if so that would be the one to get rid of. The other option would be to add a sub panel, to do that you'd have to get one of the dual breakers to combine the 2 existing full sized 120v breakers and move the third full sized breaker and new 240v EV breaker to the new panel. Not the easiest 240v installation either way and I doubt you'll get by for $500ish either way, for sure not going the sub panel route :(
Note that 40a 240v breaker isn't your main, the main should be even a larger amp breaker above the breakers shown in your photo.

jjeff said:
Note that 40a 240v breaker isn't your main, the main should be even a larger amp breaker above the breakers shown in your photo.

You're spot on. These are two unit townhomes and I found the larger amp breaker outside the unit:

AOHK0fz.jpg

The front outlet is dedicated and can go. What you mentioned around nuking two 120V breakers and replacing with a 240V is what I figured was gonna happen after all the reading here. I figured given my extremely limited knowledge around the subject, I'll let the electrician do the work. However your input here is very welcome so I can tune my BS meter a bit.

Thanks for your reply!

No problem but actually when you replace 2 full sized breakers with one of the 1/2 sized double breakers it's not a 240v breaker but rather 2 individual 120v breakers(on the same phase so not 240v between the two). A 240v breaker will have both handles tied together so if one side blows, it kills power to both lines, a safety measure.
If you can get by without a sub panel, which you should be able to if you can do without one of your existing 120v breakers, it should be just the cost of 1 double 120v breaker($20-$40) and a 240v breaker(<$20) plus the cost of wiring and the 240v outlet.
I had to do basically the same thing for my mother and luckily the outlet was quite near her panel so total parts were <$100. I hooked her up with a L14-30 outlet. Of course for EVSE use she could have gotten by with a L6-30 but I wanted her to have the ability to get 120v with a special cable that came with a 20' L14-30 extension cord. It plugs into the L14-30r and gives you (2) 30a 120v standard outlets, it's a Y-cable. The other reason I went with the L14-30 instead of L6-30 is that extension cords are easily available for the L14-30 standard as it's commonly used for generators, L6-30 is not nearly as common. If your going to go with a 40 or 50a circuit then you'll probably want to go with a 14-50 range type outlet which is what Tesla has kind of standardized on.

Without knowing the loads on each circuit, it is hard to say whether or not you can add a 40-ampere circuit. If you have not yet purchased the EVSE, it might be best to talk to your electrician first. You might be better off with a 30-ampere circuit for charging at 24 amperes maximum. My earlier comments were based upon my assumption that you had sufficient panelboard space and extra capacity for the 14-50 receptacle.

GerryAZ said:
Without knowing the loads on each circuit, it is hard to say whether or not you can add a 40-ampere circuit. If you have not yet purchased the EVSE, it might be best to talk to your electrician first. You might be better off with a 30-ampere circuit for charging at 24 amperes maximum. My earlier comments were based upon my assumption that you had sufficient panelboard space and extra capacity for the 14-50 receptacle.

Thanks Gerry. I'm a bit miserly with power usage but your point is well noted and I'll run it by the electrician. I live by myself and the max power usage I see is that the washer and dryer are on when the TV / cable box are on with the desktop, refrigerator and a couple lights. Thanks jeff and Gerry.

Back