Rip off by dealer ? 1.3k Pre paid + wear/tear package ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smank

Hi Leaf owners, today I leased my leaf. My dealer sold me prepaid maintainence+ wear tear insurance for 35$ a month. Which is around 1250$ for 3 year lease. I already signed the contract. Is it a rip off deal ? I wish I know about this forum before.

1) can I cancel these two packages ? Is it possible to get my whole money back?

2) is it worth to keep these packages ? My dealer scared me if I do not get these I will be paying lot of money when I return the car end of the lease. Is he telling truth ?

Please advice this new comer. Thanks a lot.

1) what does the contract say? Some states give you three days to cancel. If you have the option, follow the procedure to the letter and keep copies.

2) depends. Do you have kids and/or dogs? How likely are you to overly wear and tear the car in 3 years? Do you drive gently or smash into things a lot? Maintenance itself is negligible, you can go 3 years for $0.

Rule #1 - Dealers lie.

If they told you it would get you "free oil changes" then you may have grounds to have them void it for misleading you about what maintenance was needed. At least the excess wear and tear coverage is there, hopefully for at least $1500 worth of damage.

Not sure if this has changed but when I was leasing NMAC had a policy that if you bought or leased another Nissan at the end they would waive up to $500 of excess wear as well as the termination fee. It turned out we didn't need that at all but we were careful to keep the car nice.

In my state anyway you'd get 48hrs to cancel a purchase like that and personally I'd cancel it. Part of the beauty of a EV is the no to low maintenance, of course it's up to you.

In three years we had our LEAF maintenance consisted of a couple tire rotations and a set of wipers. As for excess wear and tear I think you'd really have to beat the car up to incur costs above the allowable. Ask yourself whether you are hard on cars or a thoughtful user. Also ask if there is excess wear and tear will it actually be covered or will they find some way to weasel out of it.

Typical scare tactic by the dealer to sell these things. We had a dealer tell us that seals are wear parts, so if a seal goes and the engine burns up it won't be covered under the three year B2B warranty, that's why we needed to spend $2k on the extended warranty.

Thanks a lot co owners. I will speak with Nissan and try to cancel them. This forum is awesome.

If you have a cancellation clause, it's likely to require you to cancel in writing. You absolutely have to follow it verbatim or you will still be on the hook. Count on your dealer and Nissan to fight you tooth and nail. They want your money. And your time will be limited. Phone calls will only delay things and you'll lose.

I paid for an extended warranty on our 2012 Leaf . Quite a bit more than you paid , but much less than the cost of a new Leaf battery . We will see what we will see .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
I paid for an extended warranty on our 2012 Leaf . Quite a bit more than you paid , but much less than the cost of a new Leaf battery . We will see what we will see .

God bless
Wyr

None of the extended warranties cover replacement of the battery pack for anything other than bad cells, and that coverage is already there in the 5 year powertrain warranty. Salespeople will often lie about this, or think that they are correct when they are not.

With a 2012 , the 60 month / 60,000 battery warranty will be out some time next year , depending on the date the warranty starts . Should be OK on miles . ( I live in south central USA & it gets both HOT & COLD . )

Battery dropped from 10 bars to 9 bars . I was told it would cover the battery . We will see what we will see ?

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
With a 2012 , the 60 month / 60,000 battery warranty will be out some time next year , depending on the date the warranty starts . Should be OK on miles . ( I live in south central USA & it gets both HOT & COLD . )

Battery dropped from 10 bars to 9 bars . I was told it would cover the battery . We will see what we will see ?

God bless
Wyr

Did you buy a Nissan Warranty, or one of the other off brands? None of the Nissan Extended warranties cover the traction battery.

What you will see is you will probably be severely disappointed, unless you drop to 8 bars before the 5 year/60k miles is up.

Better get out your copy of the warranty and read the fine print.

baustin said:
WyrTwister said:

God bless
Wyr

Did you buy a Nissan Warranty, or one of the other off brands? None of the Nissan Extended warranties cover the traction battery.

What you will see is you will probably be severely disappointed, unless you drop to 8 bars before the 5 year/60k miles is up.

Better get out your copy of the warranty and read the fine print.
x2. Pretty much guaranteed that no extended warranty will cover a traction battery replacement... I'd love to be proven wrong. Really!

About the only other 'wear' item (besides a few dents, seat tears, etc.) which would also depend on the mileage allowance would be the tires; the OEM ones do not last well but for that kind of money you could get some nicer wheels to boot (of course these go back with the car); simply doesn't make much sense -- also, I replaced my own tires at around year 3 1/2 so after 3 years your own tires might still have enough tread to pass the lease turn-in inspection.

Back