0 > 60

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelyp

Hi Group,
I resently saw a description on line of a leaf that said 10.5 seconds to go 0 to 60.
This car they had must have had every bit of ECO turned on! Mine has much more pep than that. I would be suprized if it was even half, with ECO turnd off of course.

Yep. We did an unofficial 0-60 on a stretch of back road in Franklin, TN in the fall of 2010 and it was exactly 10.5 seconds in D (though with 2 people in the car).

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that a newer LEAF can still do it though. I though the de-tuned motor found in the 2013 carried over to the 2014/15?

Edit: It was actually 10 seconds. I went back and looked at my posts from the event:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, if you use Google to search this site, lots of previous discussion about 0-60 times.

The 2013 and later Leaf is a little slower to 40MPH, but more power is added above that, to get the same 0-60 time. The initial one second or so lag in power when you punch the "go" pedal is kind of a drag, but sprinting in lower speed areas is still fun.

With 100% torque at 0rpm it feels faster.
The instant response to the pedal also adds to that feeling.

It is one of many reasons I feel all electric cars (except the BYD) are simply better.

The Leaf is plenty quick to about 30 or 35 MPH. After that, it "runs out of steam" rather quickly.

RonDawg said:
The Leaf is plenty quick to about 30 or 35 MPH. After that, it "runs out of steam" rather quickly.

I wonder if that is because of software, or is it a characteristic of the basic design of EV cars?

They could have ramped up power to the motor at higher speeds, but the basic design (one speed "transmission" with an 80kw motor) imposes limits. The car could accelerate much faster and have a much lower top speed, or vice versa, but the compromise they settled on isn't bad.

I think another thing that makes the Leaf feel quicker is the silence and lack of shifting.

When you're pushing an ICE car for a fast 0 -60 time, you have a lot of engine revving and gear shifting.
Even when you're pushing the Leaf it's really smooth and quiet. I think that contributes to it feeling quicker than
what it really is.

Nhinman said:
I think another thing that makes the Leaf feel quicker is the silence and lack of shifting.

When you're pushing an ICE car for a fast 0 -60 time, you have a lot of engine revving and gear shifting.
Even when you're pushing the Leaf it's really smooth and quiet. I think that contributes to it feeling quicker than
what it really is.

Excellent point!

lonelyp said:
Hi Group,
I resently saw a description on line of a leaf that said 10.5 seconds to go 0 to 60.
This car they had must have had every bit of ECO turned on! Mine has much more pep than that. I would be suprized if it was even half, with ECO turnd off of course.

Eco mode has absolutely no effect on 0-60 time.

lonelyp said:
Hi Group,
Half as in 5.2 seconds :lol: Not even close.
BTW ECO does not limit full throttle power. Power just comes in later.

The 0-60 metric doesn't work so well for most EVs. If you're like me and drive almost exclusively on side streets, the power of the LEAF is more than adequate. Even my previous EV, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV (which has a 0-60 time around 12 seconds), was plenty in everyday city driving.

If I'm trying to impress someone with the acceleration power of the EV, I drive slowly to show them how quiet the car is, then I nail the accelerator and watch as they get whooshed back into their seat. :lol:

Accelerating up a hill will also do the trick, especially for those used to driving an automatic transmission ICE vehicle. I had to drive my housemate's Prius PHEV this weekend, and going up a steep hill from a standing start it felt like the car was dying.

LeftieBiker said:
They could have ramped up power to the motor at higher speeds, but the basic design (one speed "transmission" with an 80kw motor) imposes limits. The car could accelerate much faster and have a much lower top speed, or vice versa, but the compromise they settled on isn't bad.

The use of a one speed transfer case (not transmission) is irrelevant to the lack of performance to the LEAF. This is a standard Ev drive, the LEAF is software limited and has a smaller motor as well.

Somewhere I saw a plot of horsepower available at the wheels vs. speed.

1) Basically from 0 to about 10 mph was a linear ramp set by the max motor current (or max torque, same difference). For all I know it was set by torque limits on the CV joints, but it was clearly torque/current limit linear curve

2) From 10 mph to ~93 mph the curve was pretty flat, tilting down maybe 5-10% where motor windage losses take their toll. The flat was set by the 80 kW motor rating (or some other max power draw limit, possibly max battery current for all I know).

3) At ~93 mph the available power drops suddenly to 0 hp where the software limits the speed to the maximum motor RPM.

Changing to a different gear ratio would either get you more 0-10 mph torque with less top end speed, or less 0-10 mph torque with a higher top speed. Everywhere in the middle is simply limited by the power handling of the motor and changing gear ratios would have no effect.

Given the >90 mph is plenty in the USA and the torque below 10 mph is pretty darn peppy I see nothing compelling about having either a different gear ratio or multiple gear ratios. The acceleration from 30-60 mph is pretty wimpy, but that is a 80 kWh motor limitation, and almost nothing to do with the gear ratio chosen.

I personally would love to see the Leaf 2 have something like 100-120 kW of maximum power with some software settable option to have a softening of the available torque at the lower speeds, say 60-80 kWh available to 20 mph ramping up to full 120 kWh at 50 mph to help minimize undesired excitement.

Back