How do I set charging my Gen 2, 2018 Leaf to 80%?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sch

It seems that on the Gen 1 Leaf there were a couple of ways to set the charging to stop at 80%, which are missing on the Gen 2 Leaf.

There must be a way!

I don’t know where you’re located but it was removed from US market Leafs starting with model year ‘14. AFAIK, it hasn’t returned in the US.

Sch said:
It seems that on the Gen 1 Leaf there were a couple of ways to set the charging to stop at 80%, which are missing on the Gen 2 Leaf.

There must be a way!

Do you have a standard departure time? If so then set your charger timer for a couple of hours after you leave.

golfcart said:
Sch said:

There must be a way!

Do you have a standard departure time? If so then set your charger timer for a couple of hours after you leave.

He means the end time on the charge timer, and that's now the only way to do it, unless you get a remote controlled EVSE or one with a timer (which would be redundant.) Oh, or you can also get the Juicebox model that lets you input your SOC when you plug in, and IIRC it will let you select 80% charge.

Yes, Lefty this is correct. I have a JuiceBox and the app allows you to select the percentage of charge on my 2018 Leaf S. As an alternative, you can always look at the battery page on the display screen which gives the amount of time to get to 75%. It's a bit of a pain, but you can just set the charge timer for the amount of charge time you need based on that display screen.

LeftieBiker said:
golfcart said:
Sch said:

There must be a way!

He means the end time on the charge timer, and that's now the only way to do it, unless you get a remote controlled EVSE or one with a timer (which would be redundant.) Oh, or you can also get the Juicebox model that lets you input your SOC when you plug in, and IIRC it will let you select 80% charge.

I can confirm the Juicebox works this way with so so accuracy. As we speak Angela’s smart is set to stop at 85 percent. After the juice box shuts off the charge at what it thinks is 85 percent if I check the actual charge it will be within about 5 percent. Works ok. You have to set the starting percentage every time....which takes no time.

Screen shot of the juicebox.

33338982618_b66614bb97_c.jpg

I'd consider one of those - if I didn't already have two 240 volt EVSEs, and still no 240 volt circuit. I find that L-1 charging works even better for me now (supplemented with an occasional QC) because it's easy to do the math in my head, and typical charges are only 8 hours long. Roughly 3% charge added per hour, and I can charge with the car parked in the garage...

webeleafowners said:
I can confirm the Juicebox works this way with so so accuracy. As we speak Angela’s smart is set to stop at 85 percent. After the juice box shuts off the charge at what it thinks is 85 percent if I check the actual charge it will be within about 5 percent. Works ok. You have to set the starting percentage every time....which takes no time.
Thanks for the screenshot.

It's not surprising that it's so-so. All Juicebox's software can do is make an educated guess as to how many kWh should be dispensed to reach a certain dash % SoC. There's nothing in the J1772 protocol for the vehicle to tell the EVSE the attached vehicle's state of charge.

Unless you can make corrections/teach it, will be further and further off as the battery degrades.

cwerdna said:
webeleafowners said:

It's not surprising that it's so-so. All Juicebox's software can do is make an educated guess as to how many kWh should be dispensed to reach a certain dash % SoC. There's nothing in the J1772 protocol for the vehicle to tell the EVSE the attached vehicle's state of charge.

Unless you can make corrections/teach it, will be further and further off as the battery degrades.

Yah. For whatever reason it is a little more accurate with the Leaf but we seldom use it with the Leaf due to our parking arrangement. She gets the garage, I don’t. I do pretty much all my charging on 120 volt.

It's darn close right out of the box - my experience has been within 2-3% of actual charge so far.

Also, you actually can modify the EVSE charge efficiency percentage through the app which can dial in the charge % accuracy even closer.

For a Leaf S owner like me, the most valuable thing I find about the Juicebox is that I get the remote app charging features of the higher end SV/SL trims even on my Leaf S. That's worth a lot. Very happy with mine!

cwerdna said:
webeleafowners said:

nrvous said:
It's darn close right out of the box - my experience has been within 2-3% of actual charge so far.

Also, you actually can modify the EVSE charge efficiency percentage through the app which can dial in the charge % accuracy even closer.

For a Leaf S owner like me, the most valuable thing I find about the Juicebox is that I get the remote app charging features of the higher end SV/SL trims even on my Leaf S. That's worth a lot. Very happy with mine!

cwerdna said:
webeleafowners said:

Well that’s kinda cool. How do you modify the charge efficiency. I didn’t see it.

If you go into the app, under vehicle settings there's a parameter called EVSE Efficiency. For the Leaf I believe it's set for 92% by default but you can adjust it up or down as needed.

Also, you should check out their dashboard on the web as well if you haven't already. A lot of the same functionality as their app plus some cool reports and stuff.

LOL Enjoy!

check this out too if you haven't already:

https://dashboard.emotorwerks.com/Account/Login

webeleafowners said:
Found it. Yudaman Nrvus. I checked the smart setting. It’s also 92 percent. Now to fiddle...obsessively.

The easiest way I've found so far in my 2019 Leaf is to look at the charge time screen. It shows how many hours to get to 75%. Then you just set your timer for that many hours or slightly above. Works well if you have a regular commute.

Back