Remote Climate is Awful

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgeng

Turned on the remote climate using the NissanConnect EV app on a rainy day or somewhat a cool humid day and this is what I get into. Stuck in a parking lot for another 5 minutes waiting for the defroster to dry out the cabin. smh...

attachment.php

Sometimes the system will start on the settings you left it on when you turned the car off. Try setting it for full defrost, high blower speed, before leaving it.

Yup, last setting was AC and Heat on at the same time to keep the air dry. Are you guys having the same issue?

LeftieBiker said:
Sometimes the system will start on the settings you left it on when you turned the car off. Try setting it for full defrost, high blower speed, before leaving it.

I only use the remote activation for A/C and for heat in the Winter - not for defogging. Have you looked at what's available in the car's menu? It used to be only an adjustable set temp, but you had some control by leaving the vents in the mode you wanted.

macgeng said:
Turned on the remote climate using the NissanConnect EV app on a rainy day or somewhat a cool humid day and this is what I get into. Stuck in a parking lot for another 5 minutes waiting for the defroster to dry out the cabin. smh...

This is normal as far as I know. Remote CC will give you heating or cooling, but not both. It only tries to achieve the temperature set-point. If you're trying to achieve defogging you might try setting a warmer set-point which will lower the relative humidity and raise the glass temp. Or, a lower set point (lower than ambient) so the AC dehumidifies.

Yeah, What I'm trying to say is that turning on the climate remotely on a rainy or cool humid day causes the fogging which is really annoying. What a shame that it does that. Wish you can program it to turn both A/C and Heat on remotely.

LeftieBiker said:
I only use the remote activation for A/C and for heat in the Winter - not for defogging. Have you looked at what's available in the car's menu? It used to be only an adjustable set temp, but you had some control by leaving the vents in the mode you wanted.

macgeng said:
Turned on the remote climate using the NissanConnect EV app on a rainy day or somewhat a cool humid day and this is what I get into. Stuck in a parking lot for another 5 minutes waiting for the defroster to dry out the cabin. smh..
Is that with your Leaf plugged in for charging?

I've observed that when CC is activated remotely (plugged in, exterior temp 30 or 40 F, auto CC temp set to 68 F), it runs the resistive heater (and not the heat pump, as shown by Leaf Spy) for some length of time (10 minutes? 20? I haven't timed it.) and then switches to defrost mode for a few minutes, then back to resistive heating. I would think if your Leaf spent 10 or 20% of its auto CC time in defrost mode, you wouldn't have that much condensation.

EDIT: I timed the remotely initiated climate control. Not plugged in, it's 10 minutes of heater, 5 minutes of defrost and then off. Plugged in, it repeats 10 minutes of heater and 5 minutes of defrost, over and over. This is with low outdoor temperatures. The cycle for cooling may well be different, but it will be another 6 months or so before I can measure it. And of course, Nissan may have changed the remote CC between model years 2015 and 2018.

I remember seeing the defrost turned on once but only when it's plugged in.

TheLostPetrol said:
macgeng said:
Turned on the remote climate using the NissanConnect EV app on a rainy day or somewhat a cool humid day and this is what I get into. Stuck in a parking lot for another 5 minutes waiting for the defroster to dry out the cabin. smh..
Is that with your Leaf plugged in for charging?

I've observed that when CC is activated remotely (plugged in, exterior temp 30 or 40 F, auto CC temp set to 68 F), it runs the resistive heater (and not the heat pump, as shown by Leaf Spy) for some length of time (10 minutes? 20? I haven't timed it.) and then switches to defrost mode for a few minutes, then back to resistive heating. I would think if your Leaf spent 10 or 20% of its auto CC time in defrost mode, you wouldn't have that much condensation.

Back