max distance traveled on a single charge in a 2018 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

All,

I am on the fence as to whether to move up to an 18 leaf from my 13 leaf (we lost a bar, which is driving the conversation). How far and at what speeds have you achieved in your new leafs?

Any 200+ mile runs at 55 in perfect weather?

IF you have 37 usable kWhr's and the new aerodynamics allow 5.2-5.3 miles a piece that should you get close.

Any new hyper mileing tips different then the earlier model?

Not directly in answer to your question, but my 2018 Leaf SL gets almost exactly (a bit more, I think) twice the range of my 2013 SV, which had 12 bars but wasn't far from losing one. It virtually eliminated my range anxiety (to replace it with "heat anxiety")...

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am on the fence as to whether to move up to an 18 leaf from my 13 leaf (we lost a bar, which is driving the conversation). How far and at what speeds have you achieved in your new leafs?

Any 200+ mile runs at 55 in perfect weather?

If this is your goal, I would wait for the 2019 MY with the larger (60 kWh) battery pack.
Forgetting about battery degradation (which you should know you can't as an existing Leaf owner), there are too many variables affecting range (besides m/kW) to assume you will get 200+ on a single charge.

I think you could go over 200 miles quite easily in this car. I regularly get between 5.2 and 5.9 mi/kWh, and I once saw 6.2 on a 60 mile trip from the house to a mall and then back. The only "hypermiling" technique I use is throwing the car into neutral whenever I can coast, so I think someone who was really serious about it could break 200 without much effort.

So I've been playing around a bit with hyper miling, or kilometering in my case, Canadian here... So do the conversion...

I live in pretty flat terrain and my typical commute to work is 40km's, about 22km @ 90km/hr, 15km @ 80km/hr and the rest going through a town at 50km/hr with one stop light.

using leafspy I'll use GIDS as a unit of measurement (fully charged is about 490 GIDS for my battery with about 10k km's on the odometer)... without hyper-kilometering, driving normally +10-15km/hr typically is allowable, using climate control mid 20c temperatures etc... I would typically use 70-90 GIDS, I think wind is the biggest factor...

With Hyper-kiolometering, going exactly at the posted speed limit, no climate control, using neutral to cost if I needed, and pretty windless day, I managed to get it down to 58 GIDS for my 40km commute...

At this rate of consumption, I should,... in theory... be able to do this commute a little more than 8x (464 GIDS), totalling 320km's (or 198.839 miles, look at that I did a conversion for you all ;) ) ...

I'm sure this could be extended if you were to drive under the speed limit... but,... You'll get a lot angry people behind you :) I'm fortunate enough, I live in a pretty rural area and my commute to work is at 6:30am with very light traffic, so I could do this test without pissing anyone off...

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my experience...

I do plan on putting a roof rack with a wind deflector and doing the same test one day... and then maybe even with a 17ft sea kayak on, just to see the effects :)

The best that I have gotten is 176 miles, in a combination of downhill driving at 65 and backroads flat terrain driving at about 45. ended with 2% on the GOM.

Back