Wall mounted EVSE vs Nissan Portable EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerk

Do you guys see any benefit in installing a wall mounted EVSE vs just using Nissan Portable EVSE, now that it can do lvl 2 charging?

The only thing I can think of is the "smart" charger capabilities and data logging...

Any other reason? Speed? Reliability? Durability?

Is the portable charger meant to be used on a "permanent" basis or in a "just in case you need it" basis?

I should add, that I live in Ontario Canada... and EVSE's do qualify for 50% rebate of the purchase price up to 500$... Which kind of makes me want to get one for the sake of the rebate...

EVDuty or JuiceBox Pro are the two I'm considering...

The main advantages of using a wall charging station are not having to position and plug in / unplug a portable EVSE. The outdoor rated stations are also safer over time for use in all weather conditions. Having done it both ways I much prefer the charging station.

We have TWO EVSEUpgrade units: one for home and one for in the car. That way we always have one with us in the car without having to fiddle with a messy cord all the time.

Are you talking about a EVSEupgrade'd EVSE or a new '18 factory L2 one? If the first one then they generally top out at 20a or even as low as 16, quite a bit faster to get a 30a EVSE.
As others have said, uncoiling, stringing out, plugging in, unplugging, recoiling back up, gets old after a short time. Much nicer to keep the OEM EVSE coiled up in the car for emergencies or destination charging and have a nice perminant one at your residence. Note you don't have to get a wall mounted one to charge at the maximum rate, lots of portable ones that charge at 30a 240v. Even if you get a wall mount I'd suggest a wall outlet(14-50) and plug vs a hardwired EVSE, just gives you more flexibility down the line but either work the same.

Yeah, I'm talking about the portable ones that come with the 2018's...

I believe they're 30a,.. and I don't unplug/replug/coil and uncoi mine... ok, I do a little bit of coiling... but just to keep it a little neater and not a tripping hazard in my driveway, its left there in craddle in my garage...

nerk said:
Yeah, I'm talking about the portable ones that come with the 2018's...

I believe they're 30a,.. its left there in craddle in my garage...
Yes they are 30a and should be fine for daily charging. Does your last part mean your not carrying around an emergency EVSE in the car? Personally I'd never do that, I want it for said emergencies but if your OK with it then by all means, the factory EVSE can be used the way you want to.
Another maybe cheaper option if you still wanted to carry around a portable L1 EVSE in your car is to purchase any of the number of cheap(~$200) L1 portable EVSEs from Amazon or other sellers. If you plan on plugging into a standard 15a outlet, just make sure you get one that specifically says 12a @ 120v, almost all of the cheap dual voltage portable EVSEs charge at 16a on both 240v and 120v. If you plug into a quality 20a outlet(on a 20a circuit with 12g wire) you should be OK but plugging into a 15a circuit or one with 14g wiring will either blow the breaker or overload your wiring.

edit, responding to LB's post. Lots of people use the OEM EVSE for daily use, I use a EVSEupgrade'd one almost daily and I'd have no worries about it wearing out. I suppose something could happen but then wouldn't it be covered under the 3yr 36k car warranty? or it's possible the EVSE could have a longer warranty, I'm not sure. Regardless I personally wouldn't be worried about it prematurely wearing out but I guess it's a thought.

no real advantage. Its a good idea to NOT plug and unplug your EVSE over and over on your home socket and for that reason, I have an EVSE for the home and one for the car....along with 2 others that...take up space.

If you don't feel the need to carry the portable unit with you, and are able to leave it plugged in, then I see no problem with using it as a daily charging unit. If you were to find it inconvenient, you could always get a wall mounted unit at a later time and use the same outlet for it.

edit, responding to LB's post. Lots of people use the OEM EVSE for daily use, I use a EVSEUpgrade'd one almost daily and I'd have no worries about it wearing out. I suppose something could happen but then wouldn't it be covered under the 3yr 36k car warranty? or it's possible the EVSE could have a longer warranty, I'm not sure. Regardless I personally wouldn't be worried about it prematurely wearing out but I guess it's a thought.

I wasn't clear enough. By using the Nissan unit for daily charging, you are increasing the odds of some random accident (or vandalism) damaging or destroying it. Then you have to pay Nissan more for it than you would pay for two Clipper Creek basic charging stations under the same circumstances. If you can set up the Nissan unit safely in a garage, properly supported and with cable storage, then that's fine. but any use that exposes it to the outdoors for years raises the risk to it substantially.

No brainer in my books, if the portable EVSE is already paid for ;)

I use a Zencar 32A portable EVSE for daily charging, I've never had any issues with it. When we go camping, I take it with us in the car. It's actually wall mounted all the time and plugged in right next to my breaker panel, since the plastic box that contains the guts of the EVSE has keyhole mounting slots built right into it.

If your stock 2018 EVSE ever gets stolen or damaged, just replace it with a Zencar 32A for $300 US (delivered right to your door) or buy a wall mount EVSE at that point.

Back