New 2018 in my garage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman007

So Saturday we pick up our new 2018 SL. First one off the truck at our dealer. Coming from a Tesla Model X I can say I am very impressed so far with the Leaf. The 150 mile range should last us 3-4 typical days. The only problem so far is the Nissan EV app on my iPhone is not getting data from the car. Same thing with the owners connect website. No data. No communication with car. I called Nissan eV customer support and they upgraded it to a higher level of tech and said they will get back to me in a few days. One thing I cannot figure out yet is how to limit the amount of charge to say 80%. With the Tesla it was an easy function on the car menu screen. You just set how much charge you wanted the batteries to get. Maybe its a function on the app that I can use when my app is working?

Nope. Nissan dropped the 80% charge option in 2014, after the EPA lowered/averaged the Leaf's range estimate, and they have insisted ever since that there is no problem whatsoever with charging to 100% only. Trump may have learned to "Double Down" on bad moves from Nissan Corporate...

I have just got a the new Leaf, and live in Denmark. I have the same problem, of not being able to connect to website, app etc.
Please get back, if helpdesk can find a solution.

Anders

The Hyundai remote app is supposedly also crappy. I'm still thinking "Used gen I Leaf." I don't want to double my lease payment for half the features.

LeaferSutherland said:
The app and web portal are both complete garbage. Not working now for us either.

Information Technology is not a strong suit for Nissan, in my experience.

post-1-0-16729500-1424523320.gif

I’ve had no trouble with the app or website so far, but I’ve had a bevy of other tech related issues.

First the USB port was broken, music had trouble playing, and Apple CarPlay didn’t work at all. They gave me a new head unit.

Next, the backup camera was blurry and wouldn’t display the lines or predicted path. The car’s position in the nav was also shifted a couple hundred feet to the left. They said the former issue stemmed from a mistake when installing my new nav. The latter was apparently an issue all Leafs we’re experiencing in the cold. Those issues were fixed.

Most recently the charge timer stopped working, “use timed charging at home” disappeared from my EV settings, and anything A/C related refused to display on screen. They’ve taken it up to some big time factory or something in Nagoya to be looked at and I’m driving their most decked out test drive vehicle as a loaner.

Maybe I got a lemon, but it’s possible the new Leaf has electronics problems.

So far everything is working fine except the app. Sounds like that has been an ongoing issue. Perhaps a class action law suit would light the fire under Nissan to make sure what they offer as a car feature actually works.

hitman007 said:
... One thing I cannot figure out yet is how to limit the amount of charge to say 80%. ...
You can estimate how much time it will take to charge to 80% and limit charging time to that. Yes, an ugly hack.

LeftieBiker said:
The Hyundai remote app is supposedly also crappy.

The one for the VW eGolf isn't that reliable either. Canadian eGolf buyers for whatever bizarre reason don't even have CarNet capability on their cars.

DanCar said:
You can estimate how much time it will take to charge to 80% and limit charging time to that. Yes, an ugly hack.

You can also use an EVSE like a JuiceBox Pro or other connected EVSE's to charge to a preset limit. In my country most jurisdictions also offer a rebate on them.

You can also use an EVSE like a JuiceBox Pro or other connected EVSE's to charge to a preset limit. In my country most jurisdictions also offer a rebate on them.

As I understand it, you can charge for a preset number of hours, but the EVSE has no communication with the car about state of charge. That means you still have to do the arithmetic to get the correct SOC.

LeftieBiker said:

As I understand it, you can charge for a preset number of hours, but the EVSE has no communication with the car about state of charge. That means you still have to do the arithmetic to get the correct SOC.
I believe you are correct, you still have to do the math AFA how long you have to charge at a given amperage to get to a desired SOC%.
It's easy on my 24kWh 6.6kwh equipped charger Leaf using L2. If I have a 13a L2 output EVSE I gain roughly 13%/hr, bump it up to 16a and I charge at roughly 16%/hr, 24a=24%/hr and finally the max 30a(27.5a) gets me close to 30%/hr. Of course charging rate can vary by extreme cold temps or what SOC% your currently at(charging rate slows down near the top of SOC, above 90s) but where most people would charge, 10-90%, I figure roughly for each amp of L2 I gain a %/hr charging, 120v charging is roughly half those numbers.
The voltage of your L2 can also change things a bit, 208v vs 240v, with 208v giving you slightly less %/hr. Most N. American homes being 240v and commercial or industrial buildings(work or non-single family larger dwellings) being 208v L2.
Personally I don't screw around as much trying to stop at a particular % SOC anymore, I just time my charging so it only reaches 100% right before I leave for work or an easier way to stop charging at <100% is to use the charging timer in your car and tell it your leaving for work a couple hours after when you actually plan on leaving. I guess once summer comes and I can stop using the power hungry heater so much I can go back to 80% but for now even a full 100% charge only shows ~60 miles on my GOM :( in the summer I get the same 60 miles with a 80% charge, ya winter kills my range!

DanCar said:
hitman007 said:
... One thing I cannot figure out yet is how to limit the amount of charge to say 80%. ...

Car actually detects the charging and gives you the estimate to 25, 50, 75 and 100%

DaveinOlyWA said:
DanCar said:
hitman007 said:

Car actually detects the charging and gives you the estimate to 25, 50, 75 and 100%

IF the estimate is actually correct, unlike the Gen I Leaf's estimate, that's somewhat useful. Do you know if it's accurate? I still think the Gen 1's estimate is based on Japanese grid 208 and 100 volts...

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DanCar said:

IF the estimate is actually correct, unlike the Gen I Leaf's estimate, that's somewhat useful. Do you know if it's accurate? I still think the Gen 1's estimate is based on Japanese grid 208 and 100 volts...

No clue. If I had to guess, I would say it uses 6.6 KW charging rate no matter what the input is. Mine only charges at 5.76 KW but I did plug into a dual head Chargepoint which does run at 6.6 KW, a few hours ago and it was dead accurate from zero to 25% and if going by the GOM, I was 12 miles UNDER zero...

But realize, the target is or should be a general one. 75%, 80%, what does it matter? As long as its not Nissan's default near 98%

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, I realize it doesn't have to be 80% exactly. I just don't want to try for 75% and get 90%.

90% is not optimal but its a HUGE difference from 97.7% I am doubtful that degradation on time verses SOC graph is linear so 90% could be a factor of 2 to 4 better.

Either way, it wouldn't take more than a few days to get it dialed in.

Back