NeilBlanchard
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am

What is the kW rating on this unit at 240V?

scottf200
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:What is the kW rating on this unit at 240V?

I don't think I've seen or read that anywhere. I read that the LEAF 2 has an onboard 6.6kW charger.

So you think the new LEAF EVSE is something less than this max: 9.6 kW (kilowatts) = 240 V (volts) × 40 A (amperes)

Someone will certainly put it on a Tesla or other car capable of pulling more than 6.6kW and see the result.

Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?
If so then responsible and careful owners could use clothes dryer NEMA 14-30 or 10-30 receptacles to pull 24 or lower amps.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

SageBrush
Posts: 2901
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm

scottf200 wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:What is the kW rating on this unit at 240V?

I don't think I've seen or read that anywhere. I read that the LEAF 2 has an onboard 6.6kW charger.

So you think the new LEAF EVSE is something less than this max: 9.6 kW (kilowatts) = 240 V (volts) × 40 A (amperes)

Someone will certainly put it on a Tesla or other car capable of pulling more than 6.6kW and see the result.

Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?
If so then responsible and careful owners could use clothes dryer NEMA 14-30 or 10-30 receptacles to pull 24 or lower amps.

Read the first post in this thread, the label says 30 Amps at 240 V. I'll presume that is the wiring spec, so throughput would be up to 240*24 watts.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

jjeff
Posts: 1732
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm

SageBrush wrote:
scottf200 wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:What is the kW rating on this unit at 240V?

I don't think I've seen or read that anywhere. I read that the LEAF 2 has an onboard 6.6kW charger.

So you think the new LEAF EVSE is something less than this max: 9.6 kW (kilowatts) = 240 V (volts) × 40 A (amperes)

Someone will certainly put it on a Tesla or other car capable of pulling more than 6.6kW and see the result.

Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?
If so then responsible and careful owners could use clothes dryer NEMA 14-30 or 10-30 receptacles to pull 24 or lower amps.

Read the first post in this thread, the label says 30 Amps at 240 V. I'll presume that is the wiring spec, so throughput would be up to 240*24 watts.

Which IMO is stupid! Why use a 50a plug on a vehicle that can draw up to 27.5a and then limit to 24a with the EVSE :?
Also more than likely the j1772 cord will be able to handle 30a continuous, at least 10 gauge wiring can in a cord situation and many EVSEs use metric gauges which can handle a bit more than SAE. I believe 6.6mm??(whats on 2 of my higher powered EVSEs) can handle 32a continuous. Limiting the new Leaf EVSE to 24a makes no sense :?
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

cwerdna
Posts: 8390
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm

SageBrush wrote:Read the first post in this thread, the label says 30 Amps at 240 V.

I have a picture of the back of the brick. For input and output at 240 volts, it says 30 amps. I'm going to assume this is the max output and the pilot signal it emits corresponds to that.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Posts: 8390
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm

scottf200 wrote:Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?

Current Leafs do not. I don't know about the '18.

Nobody should need to screw with this anyway. Not many vehicles let you turn down the 208/240 volt charging rate. Teslas and the BMW i3 are the only two I'm aware of. It just adds to confusion (besides being a potential source of error and range anxiety if the driver forgot and left the charging rate turned down) and honestly, doesn't belong in a car's UI.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

scottf200
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 pm

cwerdna wrote:
scottf200 wrote:Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?

Current Leafs do not. I don't know about the '18.

Nobody should need to screw with this anyway. Not many vehicles let you turn down the 208/240 volt charging rate. Teslas and the BMW i3 are the only two I'm aware of. It just adds to confusion (besides being a potential source of error and range anxiety if the driver forgot and left the charging rate turned down) and honestly, doesn't belong in a car's UI.

Re: 120v -- Similar situation on 120v at least with the Volt. You can change the supplied charger EVSE to 8 or 12 amps ... and you can do that within the Volt as well. Some receptacles in old homes or not wired well (pushed wire vs screw) have shown over heating "signs" on 12 amps.

Re: 120v/240v -- Hardware-wise if you use the Tesla_Model_S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters then they have circuitry in them that talk to the S/X/3 to tell it to automatically set the amps. That way users can't try to draw too many amps.

Note old Gen 1 adapters had that too but they were a short adapter vs these corded ones. For example using this adapter on Gen 1 instead of the 14-50 would force the amps down. https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... 14355-10-B

Below via: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... 99345-00-C
Image
Image
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

SageBrush
Posts: 2901
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 pm

cwerdna wrote:
scottf200 wrote:Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?

Current Leafs do not. I don't know about the '18.

Nobody should need to screw with this anyway. Not many vehicles let you turn down the 208/240 volt charging rate. Teslas and the BMW i3 are the only two I'm aware of. It just adds to confusion (besides being a potential source of error and range anxiety if the driver forgot and left the charging rate turned down) and honestly, doesn't belong in a car's UI.

Aren't there 20 Amp (continuous rating) circuits in the wild ? Certainly 24 Amp continuous are common.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

mxp
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Fremont, CA

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I am wondering...

1. Does anyone know the Amp ratings for the supplied EVSE; for the 2011 model Leaf in the Australia/UK markets? These are 240V countries.

2. Comparing with the old 2011 model, will Leaf owners in Australia/UK likely get the higher Amp rated EVSE with their 2018 vehicles?

cwerdna wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Read the first post in this thread, the label says 30 Amps at 240 V.

I have a picture of the back of the brick. For input and output at 240 volts, it says 30 amps. I'm going to assume this is the max output and the pilot signal it emits corresponds to that.

cwerdna
Posts: 8390
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:10 am

scottf200 wrote:
cwerdna wrote:
scottf200 wrote:Does the LEAF EVSE or car interface allow you to select lower amperage settings like the Tesla's (adj down to 5a) or Volt (8 or 12)?

Current Leafs do not. I don't know about the '18.

Nobody should need to screw with this anyway. Not many vehicles let you turn down the 208/240 volt charging rate. Teslas and the BMW i3 are the only two I'm aware of. It just adds to confusion (besides being a potential source of error and range anxiety if the driver forgot and left the charging rate turned down) and honestly, doesn't belong in a car's UI.

Re: 120v -- Similar situation on 120v at least with the Volt. You can change the supplied charger EVSE to 8 or 12 amps ... and you can do that within the Volt as well. Some receptacles in old homes or not wired well (pushed wire vs screw) have shown over heating "signs" on 12 amps.

Re: 120v/240v -- Hardware-wise if you use the Tesla_Model_S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters then they have circuitry in them that talk to the S/X/3 to tell it to automatically set the amps. That way users can't try to draw too many amps.
...

This is why I was trying to limit what I said to 208/240 volt charge rate and to also limit it to the vehicle's UI. I'm aware of the 120 volt 8 amp/12 amp thing on GM vehicles where IIRC, it was originally on the EVSE then got moved to a menu item in the car's UI.

As for Tesla, I'm aware of what you're talking about, where the mobile connector, depending on the adapter attached will limit the amount drawn (presumably via the J1772 pilot signal, to which the car's OBC must comply). However, this isn't part of the car's UI. And, it assumes that if for example, a 14-30 adapter is attached, that the circuit itself is a 30 amp circuit, able to sustain a 24 amp continuous load. The driver doesn't need to screw with any UI. They select the adapter that fits and the car will not draw more than what's safe for a continuous load on that circuit.

AFAIK, unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 120/240 volt EVSE available with the US '18 Leaf has the flexibility the Tesla mobile connector has. It appears to be either NEMA 5-15 or 14-50 only.

And, as I mentioned, the i3 and Teslas having some UI within the car to adjust charging rate is unusual and can create confusion and added sources of error. From what I recall on the i3 Facebook group, it leads people to even want to do unsafe stuff like installing an EVSE w/unsafe amperage for the circuit then turning down the rate via i3's UI, which one may forget.
Last edited by cwerdna on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”