Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

There is some interest in the forum when it comes to discussing this upcoming model, but I wonder how many sales are close to a done thing from forum members by, say, end of Q1 2018 presuming inventory is available at MSRP.

If you are one of the committed, post and be recognized

By the way it just rolled off the assembly line.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/first-2018-nissan-leaf-rolls-assembly-line-leaf-nismo-far-behind

I was committed until the tax credit became imperiled. Now I'm driving every 2017 EV I can find. If the credit remains, I will still lease a 2018 Leaf.

SageBrush said:
There is some interest in the forum when it comes to discussing this upcoming model, but I wonder how many sales are close to a done thing from forum members by, say, end of Q1 2018 presuming inventory is available at MSRP.

If you are one of the committed, post and be recognized

I'm leaning towards the 2018 LEAF but I'll probably test-drive the Bolt before finalizing my decision. I'd consider Model3 but it just doesn't meet my timeframe.

Model 3 reservation in place.
Not interested in 2018 leaf.
Too little range.
No thermal management of the battery.

Would consider the Bolt before the leaf.

Yes, especially given the disaster that is the 30kwh pack. I figure that even if it loses 30% over 3 years, I'll still have the 100 mile range I actually need.

Nubo said:
I'm leaning towards the 2018 LEAF but I'll probably test-drive the Bolt before finalizing my decision. I'd consider Model3 but it just doesn't meet my timeframe.
You did sign up for an (up to 1 hour) '18 Leaf test drive at https://allnewleafdrive.com/, right?

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, especially given the disaster that is the 30kwh pack. I figure that even if it loses 30% over 3 years, I'll still have the 100 mile range I actually need.

true but even if there is no improvement a larger pack is simply easier to manage

If I was to buy a car in 2018, I would not buy (or wish for) a Tesla.... Because I seriously doubt that you will ever see a model 3 in your neighborhood for sale.

I would consider a Bolt if they were making $30k deals on the car, but they are not. Also, I would not consider a Bolt, even at a lower price, because they are not selling, and I seriously doubt how many of these lovelies will ever be sold. Chevy quickly dropped the Spark EV without a thought. I do not want a hot potato car in my possession to go the way of the Smart EV, where they only made a few thousand of them. Imagine trying to get a part for those orphan cars 5+ years down the line.

Again, the Leaf is the clear winner for me, as Nissan is the only company who has invested to make large numbers of these cars worldwide. Compared to any other EV, the Leaf is the most likely to have support and parts available in the "distant future" (5+ years ha ha).

I am sure that most who read this would not agree with me because they are leasers, and do not care what happens to the cars after the 3 year lease is over.. I am an owner, and plan on driving the car until she doesn't "chooch" no more.

powersurge said:
I would consider a Bolt if they were making $30k deals on the car, but they are not. Also, I would not consider a Bolt, even at a lower price, because they are not selling, and I seriously doubt how many of these lovelies will ever be sold. Chevy quickly dropped the Spark EV without a thought. I do not want a hot potato car in my possession to go the way of the Smart EV, where they only made a few thousand of them. Imagine trying to get a part for those orphan cars 5+ years down the line.

I believe that your fear of an orphaned Bolt is largely unfounded. GM dropped the Spark because it was never a serious production vehicle. They only made it to 1) meet regulation requirements in the short term and 2) test the waters of the EV market.

The Bolt is a serious entry into the EV market. The first serious BEV made by GM to be sold. It is a solid car, well thought out, and an incredible value for the price. Granted, it is not for everyone, and that is ok. If the Leaf fits your needs better, wonderful! Buy a Leaf. The Bolt fits many others' needs better, so we bought a Bolt. I have no fear of owning an orphan car 5+ years down the road. I fully intend to keep the Bolt as my primary car for 10+ years.

ok so no $30,000 Bolts but have someone who bought an LT with comfort and QC "yesterday" for $33,504 which is $26,000 after fed tax credit

Not a bad deal but still MUCH more money than a LEAF

$33k for a Bolt is fantastic... It is in Leaf territory, as in the New York area, the dealers have never discounted the Leaf more than about $1500 off list....

I am a realist, and If I could get a Bolt for $33k "out the door", I would certainly buy one.... I have only seen loaded Bolts for the $43k+ range.

powersurge said:
$33k for a Bolt is fantastic... It is in Leaf territory, as in the New York area, the dealers have never discounted the Leaf more than about $1500 off list....

I am a realist, and If I could get a Bolt for $33k "out the door", I would certainly buy one.... I have only seen loaded Bolts for the $43k+ range.

I think he was in right place at right time. The car is just now leaving the factory so guessing the dealer is not making much on the deal but its literally being taken off the truck and driven away and it still boasts the dealership's sales

its a good price but LEAF still thousands cheaper and the longer range of the Bolt (pretty sure I could EASILY do 275 in Summer) would barely make it here. CCS options are simply not here yet and in some areas, are completely barren. I have 2 destinations I hit twice a year, once in early Spring, once in Fall usually before the bad weather hits and its 222 and 238 miles RT I would use for the Bolt and as we all know, that won't cut it in Spring. The LEAF due to charging stations locations makes the 222 mile journey 278 miles or 294 RT but is EASILY done with even a 24 kwh LEAF (which I did in both seasons)

The reality is I simply wouldn't get squat from the fed tax credit on a Bolt purchase which simply changes everything.

Finally the lack of basic driver aids on the Bolt is quite frankly making it easy to rationalize away the benefits of the extra range that would only be used part time.

Tesla M3 reservation. Not interested in 2018 LEAF. Also, I'm a current 2011 LEAF owner, which currently suits all of my in-town driving needs. Even with the severely degraded battery and lack of winter regen, I should be fine until 2020-2025. I will never consider another Nissan product unless they come through with a replacement battery for significantly LESS than the currently outrageous $6500 cost. IF they brought the cost down below $2000 I'd consider it.

Finally the lack of basic driver aids on the Bolt is quite frankly making it easy to rationalize away the benefits of the extra range that would only be used part time.

I'd call AEB and lane departure warning "basic driver aids" at the very least.

It looks like I could probably lease a 2018 Leaf without the tax credit, by both dropping the Tech option on the SV and paying an extra several thousand out of pocket down. I don't think I'm going to do that. If the credit is axed I'm leasing a Bolt - probably an LT. GM is offering "employee pricing" on the 2017 Bolts now, which means $4k off a Premiere (and maybe an LT as well). That, plus the NY rebate and the $2k existing markdown, means the Premiere is about $28k and the LT about $26k, after the Federal credit. It would cost me less than the Leaf SV without Tech package, and I'd get more features and a lot more range and power. The prospect of quite possibly losing a lot of range on the Leaf (and of only having barely enough to start with on the Soul EV) just doesn't appeal to me. If I can lease a Bolt LT for $250 a month that's only $50 a month out of pocket for me because of our cooperative household finances. A Leaf would probably cost me three times that much. Let's hope the credit stays.

LeftieBiker said:

I'd call AEB and lane departure warning "basic driver aids" at the very least.

It looks like I could probably lease a 2018 Leaf without the tax credit, by both dropping the Tech option on the SV and paying an extra several thousand out of pocket down. I don't think I'm going to do that. If the credit is axed I'm leasing a Bolt - probably an LT. GM is offering "employee pricing" on the 2017 Bolts now, which means $4k off a Premiere (and maybe an LT as well). That, plus the NY rebate and the $2k existing markdown, means the Premiere is about $28k and the LT about $26k, after the Federal credit. It would cost me less than the Leaf SV without Tech package, and I'd get more features and a lot more range and power. The prospect of quite possibly losing a lot of range on the Leaf (and of only having barely enough to start with on the Soul EV) just doesn't appeal to me. If I can lease a Bolt LT for $250 a month that's only $50 a month out of pocket for me because of our cooperative household finances. A Leaf would probably cost me three times that much. Let's hope the credit stays.

you have to have premium trim for that which pushes costs up another $4-5K... and its "low speed forward braking" only on driver's confidence 2 package

Back