* The all-new 2018 LEAF is not available for purchase.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddy

Ok, I'm not sure this has been discussed in any of the numerous 2018 Leaf threads (sorry, and now I just created another). I just got my "Reserve the all-new 2018 LEAF before it arrives" email with all the free gift announcement. What really surprised me was the asterisk and footnote at the bottom of the email:
The 2018 LEAF* is coming soon, but you can reserve yours now with no obligation and receive an exclusive gift1 when the purchase is complete. Select from one of the above gifts now and get on the road to an exciting ride today.
But looking down at the footnote it says:
* The all-new 2018 LEAF is not available for purchase. Expected availability in early 2018. Pre production model shown; see actual production vehicle when available for final details on features.
Color emphasis is mine. WTF, does Nissan finally realize that they should only LEASE this EV because the battery is still unfit for the long-term? Is this just another indication/confirmation that the 40 KWh battery is still the same old thermally-sensitive chemistry, just bigger, without TMS and that significant degradation is expected. Then, perhaps, this is just a patch job until the 60 KWh battery (LG or other?) with TMS arrives next fall. Anyway, is this really the case? Lease only? In any case, sorry Nissan, I'm not buying (or leasing in this case) it. It looks like I'll be getting the Tesla Model 3 when my 2011 Leaf is fully degraded.

I think it only means that US production hasn't begun, and so they are not for sale (or lease) yet. The "reservation" thing is just a way for them to get your contact as an interested person so they and a dealer can begin marketing to you in earnest.

Nubo said:
I think it only means that US production hasn't begun, and so they are not for sale (or lease) yet. The "reservation" thing is just a way for them to get your contact as an interested person so they and a dealer can begin marketing to you in earnest.

I read it the same way. Probably just a case of bad grammer. There's no reason for it to not be available for purchase other than the Smyrna factory hasn't started production yet.

Back